1/48 SR-71 issue

Ok, I'm currently in China, so I don't have access to my models while they're sitting home in the US. One thing I do have here though is access to my Flickr account.

I took several pics of the SR-71 at McMinnville Oregon's Evergreen Aviation Museum, and one thing I noted was the corrugations in the kit were all wrong. I don't have a way of measuring them now, but if I guessed, I'd say they were nearly 1/16 inch deep each on the model. Scaling that up, I'd be guessing that they'd be about 2-3" deep. When I saw the real thing, I noticed that they were maybe 1/4" deep... A heck of a lot shallower than Testors' kit represents.

Evergreen Aviation Museum

For more on this, you can check out the flickr set here:

Edited by KTesh

it didn't surprise me at all... as it was released more than 20 years ago...

your SR-71 photos are really nice! thanks for sharing them70.gif

...and, for 1/48 SR-71 lovers... IIRC Hypersonic Models was working on a new plastic kit of it! (their resin bits are outstanding) ...and, also Tan models that is rumored also to have their project...

it didn't surprise me at all... as it was released more than 20 years ago...

your SR-71 photos are really nice! thanks for sharing them70.gif

...and, for 1/48 SR-71 lovers... IIRC Hypersonic Models was working on a new plastic kit of it! (their resin bits are outstanding) ...and, also Tan models that is rumored also to have their project...

Count me in for a good 1/48th sled!

Les

To answer your question about being the kit corrugations being in scale,they are not. But if the did mold them in scale, they most likely wouldn't scale well and the wing would just look like a flat panel,No one would stand for that. The corrugation would have to be exaggerated for it to even show up in 48th scale.

For there timeframe the Italeri 72nd and 48th Blackbirds are surprisingly good.

Far better than any other SR-71's that have ever been done by a wide margin and I mean wide.

By far the best starting points and the only kits to get the chine width close to correct combined with the nose/cockpit.

On the corrugated Fuse also think painted black and 1/48th of original size it won't reflect anywhere near the light of the real aircraft so the oversize ones don't end up looking to bad.

you could fill them in a get a reasonible look with shading ,but unlike most planes we build, the SR-71 appeals to a broader market. Most of the people that are going to build it will same it together, put the decals on bare plastic and call it a day. Italeri/Testors have more then paid for the molds and more off that kit.