G'day people,

I have a few questions regarding the HAF F-4E (AUP) colours.

Firstly does anyone have a colour drawing for the F-4E Ghost scheme?

What colour is painted inside the intakes, I assume it is the darkest of the three colours?

What colour are the inner stores pylons painted? The missile rails (Aero 3B's) are white but what about the wing pylons?

What colour is the interior of the airbrake wells? I am thinking white like the gear bays.

cheers,

Pappy

Here's another one http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/uploads/post-1093-1169304660.jpg

What colour is painted inside the intakes, I assume it is the darkest of the three colours?

The first 6 ft of the intake duct is painted the same as the Grey on the outside which should be FS35237 Blue Grey, after 6ft it's White right down to the compressor faces.

What colour are the inner stores pylons painted? The missile rails (Aero 3B's) are white but what about the wing pylons?

The inner pylons again should be the same as the surrounding colour, so normally the Starboard will be 36251 and the Port 35237, but I've seen both pylons the same colour on the same jet obviously they get mixed up after a while.

What colour is the interior of the airbrake wells? I am thinking white like the gear bays.

The airbrake wells are the same as the Grey surrounding the area, the inside of the airbrake doors and actuator are Red.

HTH

Scott

Good evening Pappy,

If you are looking to match the Colours only one Company has the colours as they are

It's the XtraColours and the Codes are X132 X134 X126

My opinion is to use them because you have to mix to match the colours...

Here have some pics From Icarus Decals sheet.

DSC00058.jpgDSC00059.jpgDSC00057.jpg

Cheers!!!!

Here's another one http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/uploads/post-1093-1169304660.jpg

The first 6 ft of the intake duct is painted the same as the Grey on the outside which should be FS35237 Blue Grey, after 6ft it's White right down to the compressor faces.

The inner pylons again should be the same as the surrounding colour, so normally the Starboard will be 36251 and the Port 35237, but I've seen both pylons the same colour on the same jet obviously they get mixed up after a while.

The airbrake wells are the same as the Grey surrounding the area, the inside of the airbrake doors and actuator are Red.

HTH

Scott

Good evening Pappy,

If you are looking to match the Colours only one Company has the colours as they are

It's the XtraColours and the Codes are X132 X134 X126

My opinion is to use them because you have to mix to match the colours...

Here have some pics From Icarus Decals sheet.

DSC00058.jpgDSC00059.jpgDSC00057.jpg

Cheers!!!!

Model Master, AKAN and Lifecolor also do all three greys, however I would also recommend Xtracolor.

Scott, George and Andrew, thanks very much, that is a great help.

I think I will stick with Gunze paints, I have them, and I know how to spray these.

I have attempted to spray Xtracolour and Lifecolour paints previously withonlt mixed results, so in this case, better the devil you know....

cheers,

Pappy

I hope your wish could be true. Only 2 colors are available from Gunze. One is missing, afaik FS 36251.

Maybe there is a tricky modeller out there and has a recipe for doing an easy mix with Gunze or Tamiya paints!?

I also miss that color (from Gunze) as you need it for spraying some USAF aggressor schemes (old ghost, new ghost...).

I am not sure how close Gunze H61 (IJN grey) is as Twobobs is giving that recommendation.

Airbrushing xtracolor is no witchcraft btw., use the xtra thinner and all is fine! No need to be anxious and give it a try. the glossy surface is helpful for the next step: clear gloss coat and decaling. Much easier than you have a flat coat under it.

I hope your wish could be true. Only 2 colors are available from Gunze. One is missing, afaik FS 36251.

Maybe there is a tricky modeller out there and has a recipe for doing an easy mix with Gunze or Tamiya paints!?

I also miss that color (from Gunze) as you need it for spraying some USAF aggressor schemes (old ghost, new ghost...).

I am not sure how close Gunze H61 (IJN grey) is as Twobobs is giving that recommendation.

Airbrushing xtracolor is no witchcraft btw., use the xtra thinner and all is fine! No need to be anxious and give it a try. the glossy surface is helpful for the next step: clear gloss coat and decaling. Much easier than you have a flat coat under it.

G'day Tobik,

Thanks for taking teh time to reply.

Unfortunately, it seems that you are correct, no Gunze FS36251 :(

I am not really keen to buy paints from overseas as Australia Post has 'issues' with transporting enamel paints, and I don't think that Xtracolour paints are widely available in Oz.

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Tobik,

Thanks for taking teh time to reply.

Unfortunately, it seems that you are correct, no Gunze FS36251 :(

I am not really keen to buy paints from overseas as Australia Post has 'issues' with transporting enamel paints, and I don't think that Xtracolour paints are widely available in Oz.I also just checked Hannants, and these colours are currently out of stock

cheers,

Pappy

Pappy,

I've used the LifeColor paints and I agree that they can be difficult. However after much practice they are great ro use and they are pretty hard wearing. I did a ghost scheme using Gunze once and made the missing FS paint. I can't remember where I found the recipe, but I'm pretty sure it was on helmo.gr. One of the guys there gave the mix. I'll try and find it and get back to you.

When you want to stick to acrylics from Gunze and/or Tamiya, I found a link to a Tamiya mix site. As the chemistry of Gunze aqueous and Tamiya acrylics is similar/same and probably you have access to Tamiya colors in your area this may be helpfull for you:

FS colors mixed from Tamiya

Pappy,

I've used the LifeColor paints and I agree that they can be difficult. However after much practice they are great ro use and they are pretty hard wearing. I did a ghost scheme using Gunze once and made the missing FS paint. I can't remember where I found the recipe, but I'm pretty sure it was on helmo.gr. One of the guys there gave the mix. I'll try and find it and get back to you.

G'day Andrew,

What did you use to thin the Lifecolour paints? I can get these and I usually brush them. I tried spraying some once, they clogged the airbrush. I thinned with water only. They were also a pain to clean out of the airbrush being water based.

When you want to stick to acrylics from Gunze and/or Tamiya, I found a link to a Tamiya mix site. As the chemistry of Gunze aqueous and Tamiya acrylics is similar/same and probably you have access to Tamiya colors in your area this may be helpfull for you:

FS colors mixed from Tamiya

G'day Tobik,

That was a great link, I shall have to experiment with some mixes,

cheers,

Pappy