Hi everyone!

It really saddens me that there is so little activity in this GB, especially since the Eastern Front brings in more subjects than one can possibly imagine.

Well I voted Yes on the initial thread so here we go.

A while ago, my wife asked me to build her a Po-2 in the markings of the (in)famous Night Witches.

ICM kit in 1:72 comes with markings for one of the 46th GvNBAP machines and the only aftermarket set, I'll be using, is Quickboosts propeller, as the kit ones has blades facing the opposite direction.

I don't normally build WW2 models, and I really hate rigging, so wish me luck :D

13320736_1103192013086150_4108266274777818889_o.jpg

I expect you already know this Sebastijan, but the Polikarpov biplane wasn't called the Po-2 until after Polikarpov's death in 1944.

So a pre-1944 example would be called a U-2.

Just saying......

I just know that it will be a great build..... :worship:

Ken

This will be cool!

Some years ago after reading Beevor's "Stalingrad" (and some other books on Eastern Front) I had the same plan! Beevor's descriptions of operations carried by this small bi-plane were so fascinating! Well, I never built anything (as happens so often after the initial enthusiasm...), but it's great to see you building one! Will be following closely. Especially the rigging phase! :)

oh, Jan, don't talk about rigging yet. It's hard enough to translate ICM instructions into something meaningful. :D

First progress photo:

13323578_1103959806342704_970830790913664134_o.jpg

Cockpit is more or less finished... I still have to add seatbelts and assemble everything together. Those huge pinmarks will not be visible, once the fuselage halves are joined together and all the pieces added.

Now to finish the seatbelts and closing everything up.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! I apologize for the long absence. I have to admit I totally lost my modelling mojo.

Now it seems I regained it, but the deadline is pressing on and I leave for Finland on 27th so I guess I can say, the race is on!

Here's the current state of the build - will put the few decals on tonight and seal them with another coat of gloss coat.

13913977_1169477703124247_7205149260350215802_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rigged and all. Well done, mate!

I really want to hear more about how you did that oil dot weathering. I'm one lucky SOB, because I don't need to read it here, but you can really explain it in practice when you arrive!

• 2 weeks later...