D-Day Strips the easy way (at least for me)

Just finished by RAF Typhoon in full D-Day invasion stripes, thought before I put the finished build on the net....I would share how I do invasion stripes.

1. Paint the model the base colors

2. Mask off the end boundaries of where the stripes will go. I use reference photos and the decal sheet to give me a rough idea. Paint these areas black. I use a combo of weathered black and flat black to brings some variations to the finish. I don't shoot just straight black.

DSCN7122_1.jpg

3. If your aircraft has markings that will be in the areas of the invasion stripes...decals will most likely show the white/black demarcation underneath when you apply them. I use a circle template and or the decal sheet to cut out a mask for the markings...then apply over the black.

DSCN7124.jpg

4. Using calipers, mark off on masking tape the appropriate distance for the black and white stripes. There are differences between the RAF and the US, but I am looking for close enough. Perfection isn't a major goal since I'm sure perfection wasn't on the minds of the crews painting these on the real aircraft the day(s) before the invasion. Mark off using the calipers the beginning and end of the white and black divisions.

DSCN7132.jpg

DSCN7134.jpg

DSCN7137.jpg

5. Transfer the stripe demarcations lines to the black areas. I use a #2 pencil show it shows up.

DSCN7127.jpg

DSCN7138.jpg

6. Using extra thin masking tape, I carefully mask the inside edges of each black area demarcation.

DSCN7140.jpg

7. I then fill in the area that is to remain black with regular masking tape.

DSCN7141.jpg

8. I shoot a combo of Reefer White and flat white into the unmasked areas. The black base almost acts like a preshade...so you get some variation.

DSCN7143.jpg

Cheers

Collin