Very sad - it has been a terrible few weeks for military aerobatic teams.

I have seen virtually all the major North American, European and Asian military aerobatics teams in the flesh, and my favourite by a very large margin has always been the Russian Knights. I've seen their display about 4 or 5 times, and it never failed to impress - which is of course not surprising for a team that use six aircraft the size of the Su-27 and from the country that usually dominates all those synchronized gymnastics and swimming events in sports. I believe this was their 3rd fatal accident since 1995.

It appears Major Eremenko was one of the youngest members of the team. From the Russian Knights website:

#6 Guard’s major Sergey Eremenko

Flight group leader of the Russian Knights Aerobatic Team

1-st class pilot

He was born on the 4 September, 1981 in Zernograd city. In 2001 he finished the Krasnodar Air Force Institut. He was a pilot at the 31th fighter aviation regiment. Since 2010 he is serving at Kubinka Airbase. During his service he has mastered aircrafts: Yak-52, L-39, MiG-29 and Su-27. His overall flying time on all the mentioned types is almost 800 hours. Eremenko has performed aerobatics since 2011 He performs flights in the aerobatics formation as a second wingman. He is married, has a two daughters. He is fond of football.

http://russianknights.ru/en/letnyj-sostav/

R.I.P.

Hi Kotey, are they saying he possible ly had a stroke?

Yes, apparently they suspect the pilot may have suffered a stroke (I assume based on postmortem results). The Russian word for stroke is "инсульт", which sounds like the word "insult" in English, but is obviously unrelated in meaning. This has been reported in most Russian media, but it is obviously still a preliminary outcome.

By the way, one find it almost unthinkable that a young, fit, military pilot who undergoes regular medical checks could end up in an accident due to a medical event, but a few years ago an acquaintance of mine died from a heart attack just after take-off in a military trainer. The strange thing was that it wasn't even during a stressful event - it was a take-off for a simple ferry flight.

Anyway, it would be interesting to find out what happened in the case of this Su-27 accident once the investigation has been concluded (assuming it will be made public).

Yes, apparently they suspect the pilot may have suffered a stroke (I assume based on postmortem results). The Russian word for stroke is "инсульт", which sounds like the word "insult" in English, but is obviously unrelated in meaning. This has been reported in most Russian media, but it is obviously still a preliminary outcome.

By the way, one find it almost unthinkable that a young, fit, military pilot who undergoes regular medical checks could end up in an accident due to a medical event, but a few years ago an acquaintance of mine died from a heart attack just after take-off in a military trainer. The strange thing was that it wasn't even during a stressful event - it was a take-off for a simple ferry flight.

Anyway, it would be interesting to find out what happened in the case of this Su-27 accident once the investigation has been concluded (assuming it will be made public).

Mfezi, I am sorry for the loss of your aquaintance. Very sad..

Thank you for clearing up what I was trying to understand.

Have a good one