1:48 VMFAT-101 or VMFAT-201 decals for F-4B/J/S Phantom

Been searching for awhile unsuccessfully for 1/48 decals for F-4B/J/S Phantoms of VMFAT-101 (SB/SH) or VMFAT-201 (KB) . I can only find decals from a couple of vendors for F-18C/Ds of VMFAT-101. Stymied, R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

The only source for something like these if they HAVE been done might be the very old Microscale decal sheets that were done a LONG time ago as they had a habit of producing some very interesting schemes which nobody else touched.

For instance I have an old sheet (Microscale 48-87, which should give an idea how old it is) with markings for a VMFA-323 F-4B jet that I like. But it also includes markings for Commander MAG 32," an F-4B with a DW tailcode and artwork consisting of an orange lightning bolt and black checkerboards on half the rudder (similar to VMFA-312's markings).

There are some interesting Phantom paintschemes here, especially the tail markings for the 201 KB jets.

Jay,

Yes, Microscale 48-87 is a nice old sheet. I'd be very wary of using it without spraying a clearcote over the whole decal sheet first. I have learned to not trust any decals over five years old.

The first selection on the instruction sheet is an F-4B 148398 of the Commander Marine Air Group-32 / VMFA-251 Thunderbolts as you noted. As the MAG Cdr bird, it carried the additional markings on the VMFA-312 bird for the other two F-4 squadrons in the MAG. You will notice on the tail the two small badges on the rudder for VMFA-122 & VMFA-312, and the blue fin top with white diamonds for VMFA-122 Crusaders and black/white checks on rudder for VMFA-312 Checkerboards.

I think Eagle Strike also did markings for VMFA-323 Death Rattlers, but for an F-4N based off the USS Coral Sea (CVW-14) during the aborted Iran Hostage rescue mission, Operation Eagle Claw, April 1980.

AFAIK, I have never seen decals produced for VMFAT-101 or 201, but would love to see them both.

r/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Forwarded to Dave Roof of Flying Leatherneck Decals.

F-4B/J/S, RF-4B Phantoms are in the queue. However, before I get to those, I have the following to release (in no particular order):

F/A-18A/C/D (three sheets covering a number of squadrons)

AH-1W

AV-8B data stencils

F/A-18 data stencils

Ordnance part II CBU's

1/72 KC-130J's

• 3 years later...

Apparently, Forgotten Jets has moved from it's old website on MillionmonkeyTheater.com to a new site.  Hence the links above do not work.  Also note that the new site: http://forgottenjets.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/F-4.html no longer has photo links activated.  So I am not going to rebuild the links.   

Fantastic! Thanks for the update.