Hockey Icon Gordie Howe Passes Away

For the hockey fans among us, I just saw that Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe, passed away at 88. He was one of the roughest, toughest (yeah, some say dirtiest) hockey players ever to lace up the skates. But boy was he entertaining to watch and he was a role model to many young hockey players, including perhaps the greatest in Wayne Gretzky. The Gordie Howe hat trick is obviously named after him...hockey fans know what that is... ;)

So long Gordie...thanks for the memories...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16096859/hockey-legend-gordie-howe-dies-88

Don

51LY9ImUQL_zpstmjuymyu.jpg

Edited by Don

My younger brother was actually a hockey fan back in the Seventies, rather odd for a Texas boy. He was enamored of Howe when he saw an Aeros game. I remember Gordie's name from sports news but I didn't know the younger Howes were also playing with the team.

I never got to see Mr Hockey play live other than in the HNIC 1980 All Star game and a few of the Hartford Whalers games that were on Saturday night aka Hockey night. Great ambassador for the sport of hockey and most likely only one. He will always be the greatest player on the ice to me. RIP Gordie Howe "Mr. Hockey". :crying:

Rest in eternal peace Mr. Howe; my condolences to all those who loved him, and who knew him well. I'm not a Hockey fan, have only watched 3-4 games in my entire life; "The miracle on ice" in 1980 and a the others when the "Great one" played, BUT even I know who Mr. Howe was...2016 has been devastating on sports figures and celebs, recently icons/ambassadors for their named sports have been lost Mr. Howe, M. Ali; though their legacy went far beyond the confines of the Ice rink or Boxing ring.