WWII Wire Antennas

So I've been getting more into WWII modeling as of late, and I wanted to add the "wire" antennas they have. I'm fairly confident in my ability to fashion the little springs at the bases with lead wire wound around it, but I wanted to know what some of you guys do for the longer wire?

Thanks

Dan

So I've been getting more into WWII modeling as of late, and I wanted to add the "wire" antennas they have. I'm fairly confident in my ability to fashion the little springs at the bases with lead wire wound around it, but I wanted to know what some of you guys do for the longer wire?

Thanks

Dan

Dan

I have never applied the wire antennas on my WW2 aircraft. But I know someone who has and they told me that they use armature wire from small electric motors. Find something like a slot car motor or an old non working model rail road engine. Hope this helps and some of the others will chime in on what they do.

6 mil carbon fiber. It's stiff. You cut to the exact length. If possible, I drill a hole into the structure and insert the end. PVA, acrylic, or CA glues it in place. I also use this for flying wires and brace wires.

I used it on the Goose and F4F-3S in my current sig.

Edited by dnl42

I have used a number of things over the years, from stretched sprue to fine suture ( which does not break )

I recently purchased some EZ line and I find it to be the most satisfying and easiest ever .

Sort of pricey but one purchase will last for many years to come . It can be tinted to chosen color preference .

http://berkshirejunction.com/ez-line/ Cheers, Christian

Edited by Chris L

I like invisible thread you get from a yardage shop, there are different sizes, it's transparent but in scale it looks like steel.

Curt

100_6297.jpg

100_6300.jpg

Edited by Netz

I second EZ-Line.

No way I could've pulled off this without it:

CIMG5832.JPG

Very easy to work with.

Very nice. What technique did you use there for attaching the thread? Did you drill holes thru the wings etc, or just attach it to the surfaces?

cheers

@Thommo - Made little divots in the underside of the top wing and attached all the wires. Predrilled the bottom wing with holes all the way through. Mated the top and bottom wings. Then pulled the EZ-line through, gave it a dab of CA, and trimmed and painted the repair.

All documented in horrible detail here ;)

I used the invisible thread long ago . I think it would be easier to manage on models larger than 1/72 which is all I build.

Since finding the EZ line, I see no reason to go back unless I need something of a larger diameter .

Regards, Christian

Since I build mostly 1/72 scale a/c I tend to use stretched sprue quite a bit. Works for me. On a side note, someplace out in my hanger, I have four rolls of copper wire marked "Antenna wire", all dated between 1943 and 1945. I found them at a yard sale several years ago (I seem to remember paying a buck each for them). I use them on those occasions when copper safety wire is called for.

• 2 weeks later...