Allen Lamb and Jack Donovan's F-105G Thunderchief?

I'm at work and away from the book, but I believe the old Squadron "Wild Weasel" book has pics of their ride... I am almost positive they have their F-100F. I'll see what I can find when I get home in a few hours.

Al Lamb and Jack Donovan were part of the first WW cadre deploying from Eglin AFB where they flight tested the concept in F-100F airframe's, to Korat RTAB. I think in 1965. After the proof of the WW concept, they returned to Nellis AFB to open up the new WW training syllabus there and worked on the F-4C / F-4D Weasel program.

I don't remember Al & Jack having flown the "G" model 105 in combat at least, not to say that they didn't fly G models at all. I could be wrong.

If your looking to model Al & Jack, may I suggest that you take a look at an early F-100F WW that they achieved their first kill with 2.75 HVAR rockets.

YGBSM !

Neeko, Hi bud !

Frank C.

Anyone know which F-105G these guys flew? (Serial number and any photos would be appreciated)

Thanks

Dan

Neeko is 100% correct that their aircraft was a F-100F. Tail number 58-1226 flown on 22 Dec 1965.

If you do a google search you may be able to see Keith Ferris' beautiful painting called "First In" that depicts them pulling up after their attack.

Edited by Electra II

Damn! I've got all the stuff for the "G," I'll have to do some more research...is it easy to do an 'F' from the 'G' model?

F-105F, I think you just delete the ecm fairings on the fuselage sides.

Edited by 11bee

F-105F, I think you just delete the ecm fairings on the fuselage sides.

The EF-105F also had a few extra small blade antennas on the fuselage when compared to the standard two-holer F-105F. Again, Squadron's Wild Weasel book is invaluable for Vietnam-Era weasel projects.

Dan, Lamb and Donovan's aircraft that is being talked about above is an F-100F (two seat Super Sabre), not an EF-105F. Still looking to see if they have anything Thud-wise in the book that those two had flown. All I can say apart from that, is that those guys had balls of steel to go after SAM sires with rocket pods and cluster bombs in an F-100F with stone age RWR gear!

-----<break>------

Hey Frank!!

Edited by Neeko

The EF-105F also had a few extra small blade antennas on the fuselage when compared to the standard two-holer F-105F. Again, Squadron's Wild Weasel book is invaluable for Vietnam-Era weasel projects.

Dan, Lamb and Donovan's aircraft that is being talked about above is an F-100F (two seat Super Sabre), not an EF-105F. Still looking to see if they have anything Thud-wise in the book that those two had flown. All I can say apart from that, is that those guys had balls of steel to go after SAM sires with rocket pods and cluster bombs in an F-100F with stone age RWR gear!

-----<break>------

Hey Frank!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Balls of steel".

Yup, and they carried em around in wheel barrows..

Al & Jack killed the first SAM sight by "fishing" for PRF signals with their primitive nose mounted APR set which detected PRF signals at only 11:00-2:00 off the nose point. Patience was a virtue !

Dsahling, good luck on your project. I hope someday to use the Trump 1/48th F-100F and do a similar build.

Frank C.