Tribute build for a veteran

I am considering doing a tribute build for a fellow veteran who used to be a Chinook Flight Engineer deployed to Iraq, and I am looking for a 1/48 (preferably) or 1/35th scale kit. Does anyone have one of these that they are willing to part with? My budget is limited but I am willing to pay a fair price. This guy has put his own demons aside to be a mentor and trainer for other veterans, and I would like to do something cool for him in return.

Cheers!

-Ramon

Choose as you wish but I would recommend a 1/72 kit. Easier to for the vet to move around and display. I would also recommend adding a base that is wider then the blades, as this gives something to grab instead of the model and lessen the chances of breaking. Our club has built a few over the years. link and we get a few requests for repairs each year. When the 47A was built I want to say that base is 2'-3' long.

If you still want to go with the larger scale. I would recommend building the blade supports, last post.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47246-148-italeri-chinook/

Best of luck.

I am considering doing a tribute build for a fellow veteran who used to be a Chinook Flight Engineer deployed to Iraq, and I am looking for a 1/48 (preferably) or 1/35th scale kit. Does anyone have one of these that they are willing to part with? My budget is limited but I am willing to pay a fair price. This guy has put his own demons aside to be a mentor and trainer for other veterans, and I would like to do something cool for him in return.

Cheers!

-Ramon

As one aircrew member to another I have a couple in 1/72 I can part with. message me if you are interested. 1/48 and 1/35 are going to be big but cool.

v/r

CC

Edited by ccrqw602002

Anvil,

Id like to help you if I can. If you decide to get the 1/35 scale chinook for $ 117, I can help you with 50 dollars...Just pm me. Least I can for your buddy.. Let me know.

Oliver

PM sent

:)

Choose as you wish but I would recommend a 1/72 kit. Easier to for the vet to move around and display. I would also recommend adding a base that is wider then the blades, as this gives something to grab instead of the model and lessen the chances of breaking. Our club has built a few over the years. link and we get a few requests for repairs each year. When the 47A was built I want to say that base is 2'-3' long.

If you still want to go with the larger scale. I would recommend building the blade supports, last post.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47246-148-italeri-chinook/

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice Tank, I really appreciate the wisdom! I didn't think about display space until you mentioned it. Still, 1/72 would be more difficult for my deteriorating vision and hot dog fingers to properly detail and make it look cool. 1/35 would be HUGE like you said, and I don't want to this gift to be a burden so I think 1/48 would be a happy middle ground.

I just wanted to thank you for the advice just the same.

Cheers!

-Ramon

Not a problem Ramon. Our experience has been that we as modelers over think the problem. They are thrilled to receive the gift in the first place and because they are not modelers just basic construction techniques on the kit are huge. Even the 47 kit given to a modeler, just act blew him away. Having even a basic kit with their markings was what made it special, there memory takes over reminds them of a forgotten time, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Italeri CH-47D 1/48. 30 EUR + postage. Just like to offer it to you but maybe postage is not cheap!?

This was waiting for me when I got home from work today. Thanks tobiK, without you this project would not get off the ground!

20160705_231200-1.jpg

-Ramon