What is the best P38 kit?

When I got back into the hobby in 1986, the first kit I built was Monogram's P38. So its been a while. I've been thinking and would like to build a P38 again, either in 1/48 or 1/32 scale. I wish that Tamiya had done this in 1/32, but not yet (at least). Given the configuration, I'm looking for a kit that fits well most of all. I'm finally finishing Kittyhawk's Bronco and let me tell you, it has been no walk in the park! What I'd like to hear is what kit(s) fit, and what their weakest points are and how they can possibly be addressed. I thank you for your help and opinion.

Bill

Edited by Wild Bill Horton

In 1/48 I really like the Academy kit. That being said, I don't have a Hasegawa kit to compare it to, but apparently there's not much to choose between the two. The Academy kit does come in different versions (I think lately they've released the kit with different variants in one box (a la Monogram). These kits are much better than the old Monogram kit. Skip the Minicraft kit, unless it also has the Academy logo on the box. Minicraft released a (poor) copy of the the Academy kit after they split up.

The major disappointment for me with the Academy kit is the instrument panel, or lack thereof. Like the Monogram kit, you get a flat plate that you're supposed to apply a decal to, bad form IMO.

In 1/32 I've heard the Trumpeter kit is pretty nice.

Here are a couple shots of my P-38J Pathfinder (tires are True Details resin items):

P38PFLU.jpg

I just added parts from the spares box to make it look like there's something in the nose...

P38PFRNoseDetail.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by DonSS3

The Large Scale Kit database on Large Scale Planes web site will show all the 1:32 and larger kits. To my recollection, your choices are Revell, Trumpeter and Combat in 1:32 scale. Combat is a vac kit so probably out of scope. I built the Revell kit some forty years ago and don't remember it being difficult. It's a simplistic kit, though. Scrape the boiler rivets off it and detail up the cockpit and wheel wells and you'll get a pretty good P-38J. There are plenty of reviews and builds of the Trumpeter kit online.

The 1/48 Glacier Girl kit is one I'd quite like, so quark51 I'm glad to read your comment.

One subject I wouldn't mind doing is Antoine de Saint-Exupery's F-5B. Any kit suggestions for that in 1/48 or even 1/72?

... One subject I wouldn't mind doing is Antoine de Saint-Exupery's F-5B. Any kit suggestions for that in 1/48 or even 1/72?

That would be a cool subject! I hope you can find what you need to do that.

Unfortuntely, I don't recall the details, but I think I read that you could use the recon nose from the Monogram kit on the Academy kit to get a good F-5B. There are decals available, too, I've got some in the stash, somewhere.

The Monogram F-5B nose is a decent fit on the Academy kit. I have done it myself. Did use some thin sheet plastic to take care of small gaps but is an easy way to to get an F-5A or F-5B.

I have built both (Hasegawa & Academy) and the Academy kit is an easier build but not by much. Lots of aftermarket out there for both.

At minimum I would replace the wheels on the Academy kit.

Wish someone would make new props and spinner for it. With some work you can use the Quickboost ones for the Hasagawa kit.

Mike

For K5054NZ & dnl42,

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry went MIA on 31.July 1944 in F-5B 42-68223 during a mission over southern France. "223" in white on the outboard faces of the engine cowls, French cockades in six positions. You can find artists' interpretations of this machine via Google Images.

Despite a number of differing versions (an early one claimed 'FW 190D-9s' - which weren't yet operational!), no Flak nor fighter unit claimed at this time / location. The remains of his machine were salvaged from the Mediterranean in 2003 (the parts are at the French air museum at Le Bourget), no evidence of bullet or Flak splinter-holes were evident. Saint-Exupéry was too old (44) to be flying combat, and his last few aircraft 'incidents' even before the war showed this.

GRM

Kits if the early P-38s are slightly better because the later ones miss the shape of the oil cooler chin completely.

The real oil cooler chins on J/Ls had a bulging radius in all directions, with a severe taper towards the landing gear bay.

All the kits, being drawing based, miss completely the true 3-dimensional shape of the cowlings, but the Monogram has a little more taper.

The entire shape of the nose on most kits is also wrong, since the real nose has a kind of "triangular" section, more like a heavily rounded taper, not quite inverted egg but close, for the entire bottom section of the nose. The Hasegawa nose is also wrongly proportioned to the cockpit glass.

Robertson

When I got back into the hobby in 1986, the first kit I built was Monogram's P38. So its been a while. I've been thinking and would like to build a P38 again, either in 1/48 or 1/32 scale. I wish that Tamiya had done this in 1/32, but not yet (at least). Given the configuration, I'm looking for a kit that fits well most of all. I'm finally finishing Kittyhawk's Bronco and let me tell you, it has been no walk in the park! What I'd like to hear is what kit(s) fit, and what their weakest points are and how they can possibly be addressed. I thank you for your help and opinion.Bill

Nobody has mentioned the 1/48 from Hobby Boss. Is it that bad?

if fit is a major consideration, then the Hobby Boss kit is going to be a contender,

has one piece upper/lower wing/fuselage!

hobbyboss85805reviewlr_2.jpg

fair review here by Lynn Ritger

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/reviews/kits/hobbyboss85805reviewlr_1.htm

regarding Robertson aka Gaston Marty. I'm surprised we have not had the red lined photos. Some of his observations have grounds, but they are often overstated as 'fatal flaws' or are wrong in some way.

In the case of the P-38 I don't know, I've not sat down and compared the various 1/48 kits as yet.

HTH

True Details makes a pretty nice resin cockpit set for the Academy kit, too, IIRC.

Is there no one interested in a 1/72 P-38 ? All the conversation is about the 1/48 scale .

Regards, Christian

When I got back into the hobby in 1986, the first kit I built was Monogram's P38. So its been a while. I've been thinking and would like to build a P38 again, either in 1/48 or 1/32 scale. I wish that Tamiya had done this in 1/32, but not yet (at least). Given the configuration, I'm looking for a kit that fits well most of all. I'm finally finishing Kittyhawk's Bronco and let me tell you, it has been no walk in the park! What I'd like to hear is what kit(s) fit, and what their weakest points are and how they can possibly be addressed. I thank you for your help and opinion.

Bill

Is there no one interested in a 1/72 P-38 ? All the conversation is about the 1/48 scale .

Regards, Christian

OP asked about 1/48 and 1/32nd, though if you know about 1/72nd then it would not be a bad place to post some information

I bought an elderly Hasegawa 1/72 p-38 to do duty as a D-day shelf model. I bought price and hopefully, manufacturer's record of doing at-least-decent models. I had no idea of whether the kit is 'good' or 'poor' or somewhere in between. Buildability and realistic outlines appeal to me.

So, can someone comment on the Hasegawa 1/72 P-38?

Thanks very much.

I built mine way back when they first came out. I don't recall any significant problem areas, but I remember at some time or another breaking off a main gear leg, thus earning it a place on the shelf of doom. I ended up giving it to a friend who wanted to add it to his stash.

Edited by DonSS3
I bought an elderly Hasegawa 1/72 p-38 to do duty as a D-day shelf model. I bought price and hopefully, manufacturer's record of doing at-least-decent models. I had no idea of whether the kit is 'good' or 'poor' or somewhere in between. Buildability and realistic outlines appeal to me.

So, can someone comment on the Hasegawa 1/72 P-38?

Thanks very much.

Hi Peter. I've built a couple of the 1/72 Hasegawa P-38s. They're older kits but still pretty nice in shape and fit although they're really poorly detailed. The cockpit is very simple, the wheel wells are empty and the canopy, while nice and clear only allows for a closed option. With a fair amount of effort, you can have a fantastic little Lightning. Even if you don't want to go nuts with add-ons, it's 1/72 and you can get away with putting as much or as little detail into it as you want.

Here's a couple of builds that show what could be done. Like I said, it's a nice kit just not very detailed. For my money, I prefer the Academy kit.

Mark Davies' build on Hyperscale

Igor Svetlov's kitbash

Edited by Milo