CD144002 - 1/144 C-141 Starlifter

CD144002 will be a 1/144 scale sheet dedicated to the C-141 Starlifter. I have been working on it for a while, and will release it after the Roden C-141B kit is widely available in August.

Steven, so far, only the B model has been announced by Roden. Do they plan on the shorter A model, too? Hmm. I don't believe there were any natural-metal B models. I think at first they were white-topped gray scheme, then later Euro 1, then Air Mobility Gray. If Roden does only the B model, handy modelers will be able to cut down the fuselage extensions and refueling fairings to A standards fairly easily. But I wouldn't be surprised that Roden eventually issues an A model.

But I wish they would do them in 1/72 scale, too! B)

This is great news Kursad. I was not even aware of this upcoming release but it makes sense. I had one in 1/200 so now this might be a better idea. I think Roden is on the right track with their 1/144 line. Seems a nice size for these big jets. Loved the white over grey schemes but I will take what ever they give.

Steven, so far, only the B model has been announced by Roden. Do they plan on the shorter A model, too? Hmm. I don't believe there were any natural-metal B models. I think at first they were white-topped gray scheme, then later Euro 1, then Air Mobility Gray. If Roden does only the B model, handy modelers will be able to cut down the fuselage extensions and refueling fairings to A standards fairly easily. But I wouldn't be surprised that Roden eventually issues an A model.

But I wish they would do them in 1/72 scale, too! B)/>/>

There were a few C-141Bs that were in natural metal. These aircraft that was pressed into service straight after a major overhaul to serve as part of Op Desert Storm such was the requirement for air lift aircraft. They had no unit markings and some photos of them are at www.dstorm.eu.

Edited by Jabba29

There were a few C-141Bs that were in natural metal. These aircraft that was pressed into service straight after a major overhaul to serve as part of Op Desert Storm such was the requirement for air lift aircraft. They had no unit markings and some photos of them are at www.dstorm.eu.

Wow! Cool!

Steven, so far, only the B model has been announced by Roden. Do they plan on the shorter A model, too? Hmm.

I haven't seen reports of an A model. I'll simply make my own by cutting down the B model. Should be a very easy conversion.

Hi Kursad

Excellent news! Any chance that you might include the markings for the C-141A that was used as the tow plane for the NASA Project Eclipse F-106 "Glider" out at Edwards AFB? I shot a photo of this that I can dig out of my files and scan (pre-digital on my end) but I recall it was a standard C-141A markings, nothing special. I plan on modeling the Eclipse F-106 in a couple of scales so a 1/144 C-141A tow plane would look great.

86991main_TF-2004-02_popup3.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am finishing the design this weekend, and it will be part of the (big) November batch. At least three overall gray birds with colorful tail bands, one in European One camo, two in earlier white/gray MAC scheme ("Hanoi Taxi" both as it looked as a C-141A when it flew to Hanoi, and as a C-141B in its later career with the comemmorative paint scheme), NASA C-141, and one in overall metal. I should be able to post the draft sometime next week.

I still have some work left on a few stencils, and overall layout - but here is more or less the final layout of the C-141 sheet. As I mentioned, several very interesting schemes on this sheet. I am sure you will find it to be big improvement over the pathetic kit decals.

There is a second (not shown) sheet which has walkways and most of the black markings for overall AMC Gray/Euro 1 examples.

Edited by KursadA