CD144002 - 1/144 C-141 Starlifter

On 11/19/2016 at 1:45 PM, Dutch said:

i can't download the pdf while traveling, so will do it when I get back home.

Downloaded the pdf file.  Very basic, but then we wouldn't be modelers if it was all easy.  I think I will try an -A model.

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your interest in this sheet. More than two thirds of the entire print run has been sold to retail customers (=you) by now; before I shipped a single order to resellers.  Get one now if you would like to start your C-141 soon!

Looking forward to seeing the first builds and hearing what you think about the sheet. The references page should be up in the next few days or so.

Edited by KursadA

Got my Starlifter kits yesterday - bought two due to your sheet :-)

Both kits are complete, so much for that.

And although this kit really needs some help and TLC in the detailling area I am nonetheless glad we finally got a decent kit and some first-class-decals for it!

Now only waiting for my decals to arrive ;-)

Got my decals today and the first kit is already having the parts cut from the sprues.

Will do the NASA bird but still have to decide on the second one - lizard scheme or gray/white? So many choices...

BTW the resource page isn't up yet - any ETA on it?

• 4 weeks later...

I will finish the resource page later this week.

This sheet is selling at an incredible pace; and will most likely sell out fairly soon. I am positive I will not be reprinting it in 2017 - so get yours before it's too late. It would have been the top-selling item at Hannants if it were not for those pesky resin British missiles ;-)

17 hours ago, KursadA said:

I am positive I will not be reprinting it in 2017 - so get yours before it's too late. 

How about a part 2 for a sequel?  :)  Revenge of the Starlifter, the Lizard Returns to Strike Back!

Edited by Corey
On 17.1.2017 at 11:39 PM, KursadA said:

It would have been the top-selling item at Hannants if it were not for those pesky resin British missiles ;-)

It is as of the last 7 days, and you've got three other sheets in the top-10 best sellers!

43 minutes ago, Lancer512 said:

It is as of the last 7 days, and you've got three other sheets in the top-10 best sellers!

I noticed - what can I say except that I am grateful for your interest and support? I wish the U-2 sheet got some Euro-love as well, but I realize that the kit is harder to obtain there...

A new batch of new decals are coming very soon - with some very nice surprises planned for April and beyond.

• 2 months later...

I have exactly 6 (six) of this sheet remaining. I think larger resellers like Hannants and Sprue Bros. still have some, but it is reportedly selling well everywhere.

I am not sure I can  reprint this before Roden re-releases the kit. Go read every single review of the kit you can find - every single one of them mentions how bad the kit decals are. If you have the kit or are planning to buy it, get this sheet while you still can.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

Anyone got any tips to ensuring the demarcation on the fuselage between the gray and white is in the correct place?

C-141 Heaven has tons of photographs. The side views provided in the instructions are accurate as well. Do you have any specific questions? I would use the top edges of the access doors as reference points and mask the demarcation line accordingly.

http://c141heaven.info/

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, that seems to answer all my questions. There seems to be a panel line to follow that intersects the area's you mention.

I have the kit all glued and sanded (minus the canopy) and ready for primer. Since this thread seems to be the one stop shop for this I will add my observations here.

1: Some of the panel lines are faint and need deepening

2: The wing seem too thick and create quite a large step on the underside. I filed the top mounting points to minimize the step on the top, however this leaves a large gap to fill on the bottom. If I build this kit again, I would file down the inside of the separate wing halves before gluing them together. I would also glue the wings to the fuselage before gluing the engines on.

3: There seems to be two strengthening plates on top of the wing/fuselage joins missing from the kit. As shown in this picture. 060505-F-4692S-404.JPG

4: The kit aerials seem to be suspect for a C-141B (or C) as referenced by the picture above. These may require scratch building.

Other than that, the kit looks like the C-141 I remember from my childhood.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Waiting on Roden to issue the appropriate variant for the NASA bird.

Has this (the "L-300 Kuiper Airborne Observatory" aka NASA-714) been announced or is that wishful thinking on your part? Because.... mine is halfway "there" and let me tell you - it is *some* work. Not impossible but also not easily done so that's why I am wondering if Roden would spend the money on a new sprue for an esoteric "one off" version?