If anyone tries to tell you something you don't believe, or just can't be bothered with, here's an 'out'. For the next little while you can safely reply with "We've just managed to photograph a snowstorm on the surface of a comet - your argument is invalid".

From the British Astronomical Association, Jupiter Section:

Here's an eerie recent image from Rosetta's Osiris camera, showing the dust swirling around the comet. Lines with random orientations are dust particles; short vertical lines are stars in the background; and the dim 'landscape' near the edges is the shadowed side of the comet, lit only by the feeble glow from its coma.

13435291_1062012633835782_4306880294539370435_n.jpg?oh=4deeaa67677d43b5c691802f3c53c332&oe=57FE99E4

Hey, thanks for posting this! There is some really beautiful photography coming from 'Off-Earth' right now, with the Pluto surface seeming to take pride of place in the media -but this comet shot is what an old shutter-puncher buddy of mine would call "well moody"! (i.e. excellent in a very dramatic way).

As an aside, whilst there seems to be a deal of attention now understandably focused on the heliosphere/heliopause, with maybe (at least?) a couple more decent-size planets to nail down, we can probably look forward to loads of beauty shots in the years to come. Gravity waves are all very nice, but a good photo of a celestial object has all the *wow* for me!

If there is snow, then this comet should be named Canada. :woot.gif:/>

Here's the argument for a like button on this board.

Photos keep the public interested. Radio maps and theoretical discussions of binary black holes make the public yawn.