Blizzard scheme Vipers

I just ordered twobobs F-16 1/48 blizzard scheme reissue which comes with 3 different aircraft markings. And while I should really wait for it to arrive to see if there's any variant info in the instructions, I want to jump to conclusions. I forget where I think I read it but 86-269 should be a block 32d with normal intake/GE engine with main gear landing lights if I'm not mistaken. Whereas 84-301 on the same sheet is a block 25e. The external difference should only be a certain ram air duct for "ASPJ" (whatever that means). In other words, follow the instructions for option C in the tamiya aggressor boxing. Of course, I looked at google images for both these aircraft and still have questions. Like why do the hub caps look like they have more recessed holes than the kit parts? I can't seem to find a closeup of the landing gear to see if they moved the landing lights to the front, which I think I read somewhere they do that anyways on old F-16s. Should I do the reinforcement plate upgrades? Grind off the captive aim-9 rollerons? Smoke or clear canopy? And yes, I know, this is absurdly nit-picky but do any of these blizzard birds use the late style aces seats with the black wool padding? I bought the Wolfpack resin seats which are late f-16 seats and now I'm doubting the accuracy of this combination. But who knows, with all these parts swapping possibilities with the real thing it's like anything is possible in terms of accuracy.

Here's a couple links with information on the F-16's in question.

86-269

84-301

Both are P&W powered with NSI inlets. No GE engines and both have main gear landing lights. As for the doubler plates, looks like both aircraft only have the lawn mower blades and wing plates installed.

Cheers,

John

Here's the search links to Airliners.net photos. These photos should answer most of your questions. The 64th Aggressors F-16's are usually equipped with an AIS (ACMI) on the left tip, a CATM-9M on the right tip and an AN/ALQ-188 pod on the center pylon. The CATM-9M has the forward canards installed as well as the rear stabilizers but the rollerons are gone. The canopies on both aircraft appear to be lightly tinted. As for the E seats they appear to be the latest standard with the fold down air data sensors so it's a good bet they have the black sheepskin covers. The Main wheel bearing caps are painted black and this is why they look recessed but they aren't. See the photos in the Airliners links.

86-269 Photos

84-301 Photos

Cheers,

John

The external difference should only be a certain ram air duct for "ASPJ" (whatever that means).

ASPJ is the Airborne Self Protection Jammer system, also known as AN/ALQ-165. Major portions were to be installed in the base of the vertical tail and cooling provisions for the ASPJ equipment included a small inlet scoop on the leading edge of the tail base and exhaust vents on either side of the tail base (just above the national insignia in the pic below).

ASPJ was supposed to be installed in USAF F-16C Block 30/32 but never was, but the scoops remained. Block 25 is pre-ASPJ so no scoops/vents in the tail base. Also no D-models were slated for ASPJ so no related scoops/vents either.

F-16%20tail.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, habu!

I got the decal sheet now, and I will be doing the 84-301 jet in block 25 configuration. The instructions are exactly as you see online without extra info, and the discrepancy on the ASPJ vents seem to be the only thing missing.

Also, if anyone knows, what areas are painted in neutral gray, and what areas are aggressor gray? I thought the radome was only aggressor gray but that would defeat the purpose of naming it that color if it isn't the overall gray color, so I could be wrong. They look similar on the color guide:

27929570635_06c4ca6375_b.jpgimage by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

I just spent $60 more on aftermarket stuff and tools, including the Hataka hobby color set, photoetch detail set, photoetch cutters and a diamond file for deburring. I'm sure the aftermarket mask set is good too but I decided I got the ability to do it manually. Wish me luck!

Here is some starter in-progress pics.

27316436703_52d829dfc7_b.jpgimage by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

Test fitting Wolfpack resin seat. This came in a pack of 2 for a F-16C/D, the rear seat missing a box on the upper/port side. I was hoping I'd be able to use the extra seat for the hasegawa F-22 in my stash but I'm unsure if that combination is accurate.

27316440343_85c7bf60e1_b.jpgimage by Jesse Flauta, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some shots I took of the real jets (that were used for references on that sheet)

The radome "looks" like it could be either neutral grey or aggressor grey, but the grey-ish area of the camo looks lighter than either of those choices. I think the

previous release of the decal sheet and the combo-pack they did for the US Nats in Orlando has the correct color

F-16C_860269_F-15C_780494_KLAS_10November2012_KenMiddleton_9x16_web_DSC_8021.jpg

F-16C_860269_KLSV_10November2012_KenMiddleton_4x6_web_DSC_8016.jpg

F-16C_860269_KLSV_10November2012_KenMiddleton_4x6_web_DSC_7995.jpg

F-16C_840301_KLSV_20150126_KenMiddleton_9x16_web_DSC_0917.jpg

F-16C_840301_KLSV_20150126_KenMiddleton_9x16_web_DSC_2192.jpg

F-16C_840301_KLSV_20150129_KenMiddleton_9x16_web_DSC_1858.jpg

I just spent $60 more on aftermarket stuff and tools, including the Hataka hobby color set, photoetch detail set, photoetch cutters and a diamond file for deburring. I'm sure the aftermarket mask set is good too but I decided I got the ability to do it manually. Wish me luck!

If you want to save yourself a little bit of time, you can pick this up.

Pattern template

Great shots Ken!

I taught you well in Cold Lake! ����

Edit - do you take in Oshkosh? I'll be there this year, you can show me how to use my camera.

ha! Thanks a lot Scooby!

Unfortunately I won't be at Oshkosh. I know a few people that might be going, that perhaps could give some advice