No idea why I can't keep things simple. Gorgeous FineMolds Y-Wing fighter, terrific once the engine vanes were replaced....

...but it deserves a far better display base.

Enter a plexi display case; take the base and start kitbashing/scratchbuilding the Death Star surface the same way the ILM modelmakers did. Every sort of bit and piece from battleships, aircraft carriers, to aircraft, vans, ground equipment, trucks bits, anything I could find. Even the landing gear and some of the kit display bases of the same Y-Wing and the Bandai Resistance X-Wing have ended up in there so far....

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Awesome! Looks like it could easily have been in the movie. Imagine how much fun those guys must of had when they had all those stock kits to play with and throw greeblies on everything. Would LOVE to have had that job.

Bill

Thanks guys!

Slartibartfast, it's got leftover bits from both Revell Arizonas (1/700 & 1/426th), Dragon 1/700 Pennsylvania '44, and Trumpeter's Maryland. The Pennsy had bits on common sprues which I think may have come from carrier or amphib attack craft or something similar.

DISASTER!!!

Okay, primed, it looks great from 10 feet away...

...but up close, a far more serious problem has developed.

NOTE TO SELF: When scratchbuilding/kitbashing using parts which have been in storage or salvaged from projects for more than 20 years, WASH THEM. I am stunned at how much dust was shown up by the priming. :o :bandhead2::crying:

DSC01093.jpg

DSC01094.jpg

DSC01096.jpg

You may not have to strip it all. You could just pick off the dust and then just lightly weather around where they were...kind of a pseudo-salt weathering technique. or just sand and mask off just the offending panels and give them a slightly different color coat. I know the Deathstar was relatively clean, but I still think some weathering helps it look more realistic.

Bill