Su-33UB Flanker-D - 1/72 scale

Ken,

Come to think of it. Had a look at scale drawings (from different sources) but what is more important at the Zvezda kit which I consider as the most accurate representation of the Su-27 and which was prepared with some data from Sukhoi. You can find a slight variation but the diameter of the radome is somewhere between 17.35 and 17.5 mm for the 72nd scale kit which in true scale would be a 1249mm and 1260mm diameter on standard Su-27. The Aviatcija I Vremja drawings show just a slightly bigger diameter for the Su-33UB.

Wasn’t the experimental T10-20 airframe at Hodinka equipped with a metal radome of modified construction? I am not sure. Have to say that Hodinka was a great place in late 90’s and I have spent there days crawling around, under, over different aircraft but apart from few photos the Su-27 was out of my range of interest. A lot of other aircraft like the MiG-25’s, MiG-23’s and all the other Migs or the Su-15’s, or that sole remaining Jastreb (which has been scraped since then) :bandhead2: was in the centre of my attention.

Well after all you are Flankerman so I am not surprised that you were all over the Flanker. :)

Best regards

Gabor

Anyway, the measure of the circumference on the T10-20 was ......3043cm - which converts to a diameter of 968.61cm.

I can't find my published refs for the Su-27 radome diameter (isn't the scanner about 900cm ?) - so 968cm seems about right.

Sorry Ken,

900cm is "about" 9 meters, I am sure you wanted to say 900mm which is 90cm. :coolio:

Gabor

• 3 weeks later...

The Su-33UB is sitting on the workbench - alongside a fully folded-up Su-33 (wings, tailcone, taiplanes and noseprobe) - just waiting for some AKAN paint.

I have two of the shades - but the third (the base colour) is out of stock - awaiting re-supply.

I'm doing the Su-33 as bort 88 - with a built-in retractable boarding ladder.

Ken

A couple of photos of the Su-33 88 Red.....

Boarding ladder recess.....

Su-33_009.jpg

I had to modify the inner slats and flaps - they are drooped with the wings folded - something which Trumpeter don't provide.

I also removed the tailcone to make it folded....

Su-33_011.jpg

Now, where's that AKAN paint ???

Ken

• 1 year later...

I can't believe it is 18 months since I 'gave up' on my Su-33/Su-33UB builds - because I was not happy with the colours.

Here they are sprayed up - but the AKAN colours are too stark to my eye - not helped by my too sharp edges........

Su-33UB left, Su-33 right......

su-33ub_032.jpg

If I can summon up the enthusiasm, I'll maybe get round to a re-spray....

su-33ub_031.jpg

Comments on colours welcome....

Ken

Ken,

The AKAN colors you used were probably 73163,64,65. Those represent the current colors. They are, in reality, very stark in tone and contrast. AKAN states they frequently use factory samples to base their colors. These AKAN colors are pretty close to the real thing with no weathering or fading. The Dark Blue IS, according to Russian forums, a bit too dark. Check out this page on this Scalemodels.ru forum (I open it in Chrome so you get the translating feature):

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_p_914763.html#914763

It shows AKAN samples against faded and new aircraft. On my Kinetic Su-33 I am going to use MRP paints for the dark and medium blue but substitute the AKAN color for the overall light blue grey (MRPs is, IMHO, incorrect as it is a warm grey, no blue tint, should be a light blue grey). The MRP colors I am using are a bit less stark than the AKAN, though very close.

Ken,

Here is a link to another Russian forum of a Su-33 build (1/72). The author struggled with the colors too, using AKAN. He ended up using filters and other tricks to tone down the colors.

http://karopka.ru/forum/forum259/topic21485/?PAGEN_1=44

Even translated it is difficult to follow. Computer translation of Russian has a long way to go, plus the various bits of slang and cultural reference get entirely lost. But, with perseverance, one can get the general jist of the conversations.

2 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Thanks Mstor - I'll need to do some more research (but only after I have finished my T10-10, Su-35S, Su-30M2, Su-27IB and Su-34!!)

Ken

Too funny, if it were I, that many kits would only take me three or four years ;-)