To buy or not to buy (need your opinion)

14 members have voted

1. 1. Shall I buy an printer or go to a print shop

• buy printer
    • go to print shop

Hi there,

I'm trying to help my fellow club members to build specific subject by providing them decals. I provide the artwork and decals but as you all know, a printer with white ink is like a gold dust! I managed to locate a seller of an Alps printer but it is expensive! I also source a print shop to print white backing patches for my artwork (which I will print on a laser printer) and it is just 1/4 of the price of the Alps printer.

Should I buy the printer but I'm scare of running out of white cartridges or just go to the print shop for the white prints...

what do you think shall I do?

i would rather use some kind of overlay decals technique(ex.: one layer printed on clear decal paper, and another layer, printed on white decal paper, then cut to the desired shape and size) ...rather then spend big money on an ALP printer. (which are obsolete)

if a print shop near you , do white printing on decal paper, go for it!

Edited by mingwin

Would the print shop not fully print the decals on the white paper? May be an even better option.

Why on white paper? The backing goes in the trash.

Most decals are on white paper.

Edited by Scooby

No clue about advisability of the ALPS, but I would worry about getting consumables for it.

For another approach, consider a Silhouette Portrait cutter. Assuming you're creating vector art for the color decals, you could probably use the outline to cut a white background from plain white decal paper. Alternately, you could also cut masks to airbrush a white background.

I've used it to cut masks to spray acrylics on white and clear decal paper for better color coverage. Here's some artwork for a Cross Pattée. The different colors represent different drawing layers and different masks. The two on the left were to make rudder markings for an Albatros; the right for the wings.

Cross-Pattee-Mask_zps47805c22.png

I also now cut wheel masks for all of my models. A couple of minutes and I have a complete set of masks ready to go!

HTH

No clue about advisability of the ALPS, but I would worry about getting consumables for it.

For another approach, consider a Silhouette Portrait cutter. Assuming you're creating vector art for the color decals, you could probably use the outline to cut a white background from plain white decal paper. Alternately, you could also cut masks to airbrush a white background.

I've used it to cut masks to spray acrylics on white and clear decal paper for better color coverage. Here's some artwork for a Cross Pattée. The different colors represent different drawing layers and different masks. The two on the left were to make rudder markings for an Albatros; the right for the wings.

Cross-Pattee-Mask_zps47805c22.png

I also now cut wheel masks for all of my models. A couple of minutes and I have a complete set of masks ready to go!

HTH

do Silhoutte cutter cuts 5mm fonts? I was thinking on investing on one. I bought Cricut but you can't load your own design :bandhead2:

thanks for your replies. I might just go to the print shop to print the white patches. I will only print white because they will charge you extra on every colour that you will use so going for the white patches will be the less expensive option and just print my artwork at home.

Why on white paper? The backing goes in the trash.

Most decals are on white paper.

I'm sure he meant white decal sheet.

Curt

here is the decal sheet I'm working

Nice work!!!

Assuming that's a vector drawing, with some care, you could copy the outlines of the color markings into another layer, so you have a color layer and an outline layer. No need to do the black lettering or other dense colors. Then you could run a white decal sheet through the Silhouette and cut perfect white backing decals.

I've done this very thing.

Nice work!!!

Assuming that's a vector drawing, with some care, you could copy the outlines of the color markings into another layer, so you have a color layer and an outline layer. No need to do the black lettering or other dense colors. Then you could run a white decal sheet through the Silhouette and cut perfect white backing decals.

I've done this very thing.

Thanks dnl42, can the cutter cut small fonts?

Don't know. I've only cut shapes. I'm going to toasty Sedona AZ for a week. I'll try to remember to experiment with cutting letters when i get back.

i'm not sure cutting small font is "doable" and will result in very fragile decals...

my easy trick, for those situation, is to print on white decal paper, and,(in the design stage) just beyond the desired outline, fill around the outside with what should be the aircraft color (where the decal is supposed to be placed)

then, when applying the decal, you can trim very close...but leave some carrier film, that won't be too visible... (good for some stenciling job)

it's in no way a professional solution, but for job that only have to be done once, it's way less hassle...

Edited by mingwin

I have both the ALPs printer and the Silhouette Portrait and do use both for 1/72nd markings, so I think I can give you some first person help.

First, the ALPs printer would do that decal just fine. But getting a functional one and supplies today is both expensive and difficult. If this is your only decal project both the expense and learning curve is gonna be impressive.

Assuming the layout is in vector format it looks like you have the graphics program well in hand.

No, the Portrait will not cut most of what you have on the sheet. Even at the slowest speed it will tear up text smaller than about a 1/4 to 1/2 in high. Sometimes you can piece it all back together again, but usually it is just too damaged to work.

I would suggest finding some one who will do the printing for you. A search thru some of the past messages and subject on the various web sites should turn up a couple of those.

The complexity of your decal layout just looks like trying to do it on White decal stock is going to be a life time effort to get anything that looks good.

I have both the ALPs printer and the Silhouette Portrait and do use both for 1/72nd markings, so I think I can give you some first person help.

First, the ALPs printer would do that decal just fine. But getting a functional one and supplies today is both expensive and difficult. If this is your only decal project both the expense and learning curve is gonna be impressive.

Assuming the layout is in vector format it looks like you have the graphics program well in hand.

No, the Portrait will not cut most of what you have on the sheet. Even at the slowest speed it will tear up text smaller than about a 1/4 to 1/2 in high. Sometimes you can piece it all back together again, but usually it is just too damaged to work.

I would suggest finding some one who will do the printing for you. A search thru some of the past messages and subject on the various web sites should turn up a couple of those.

The complexity of your decal layout just looks like trying to do it on White decal stock is going to be a life time effort to get anything that looks good.

Thanks for your reply nfiler, I think i can just get the part with the artwork then make a white backing patches. I will print this in laser printer and asking the printshop just to print the white patches will be cheaper.

• 6 months later...