Minicraft 1/144 B-52D Kit Announced

So I was just browsing over at the Minicraft website and looked into their 2016 new releases and on page 2 they are announcing a new tool 1/144 B-52D. Not sure if anyone else has seen this but I'm pretty excited. There's a couple other items I'm pretty excited about getting as well like the E-6 Mercury and the 1/48 YQU-22.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0251/0463/files/2016_New_Releases.pdf?1016002797750702999

Waiting for B-52D in 1/144 for long time. Looking forward for some sprue shots to see should I buy this kit as a full kit or an expensive conversion set for my Revell H kit, or just leave it alone.

I don't know. I'm ambivalent about Minicraft. On the one hand, their 1/144 subjects are quite interesting. On the other hand, their accuracy, molding, and fit can be horrible.

I'm building the Minicraft and Roden 1/144 C-47s now (also have the Welsh Models partial vac and full resin kits). The Roden kit, despite its flaws, is just so much better than Minicraft. I spent hours scraping and thinning the insides of the Minicraft wings to get them to not have massive canyons at the trailing edge seams. I needed 10 mil strip to fill a gap around the entire forward the wing-fuselage join. Serious clamping and putty were needed at the vertical tail-fuselage join to fix a really bad molding problem. I'm dealing with the crude Minicraft MLG in this build by tossing them and using the Welsh Models C-47C Floatplane conversion. In a previous build, I replaced the MLG with scratch-built parts.

It will be a real shame if they do it half-assed and use the Crown wings. If they do it right and have correct wings, I would think they'd sell enough kits to make the investment in accurate tooling worthwhile.

Ben

Ben

I think what we'll end up seeing is the wings, weapons and tail surfaces being reused and get a new fuselage and engine sprue. While not the greatest kit of the Buff, it's still looks like one when it's completed. I know I'll buy several. The alternative was a horribly cast resin conversion that was a complete waste of money.

Far from money wasted based off the Minicraft B-52's so far.

Cmon Great Wall we want new tool Buffs that look like the real deal starting with the D then Early G's and H's then Late's.

You killed the Vulcan and Victor so where are our B-52's!

Cmon Great Wall we want new tool Buffs that look like the real deal starting with the D then Early G's and H's then Late's.

You killed the Vulcan and Victor so where are our B-52's!

Yeah baby!

I can finally do the B-52B Balls 8 drop ship with the X-15 that I have always wanted to do in 1/144 when the kit comes out.

My first thought as well.

Recently got my hands on a DML 1/200 B-52/X-15 kit...

My first thought as well.

Recently got my hands on a DML 1/200 B-52/X-15 kit...

I have that kit also. Nice model, although the X-15 you get is the X-15A-2 and at least Dragon did a proper short body X-15 in 1/144. I may consider getting the Anagrand 1/144 lifting body collection for some other birds for the drop ship. At least a display like this will take up A LOT less space than something in 1/72.

• 9 months later...