Blue Skyraiders - Part II

Just read the first "Blue Skyraiders" thread and at the same time, received the Osprey "AD Skyraider Units of the Korean War" https://www.amazon.com/dp/1472812646/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0850459060&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=9EYP68FWGS3856PZ9T4W At the same time.

I'm starting to get the bug to build a large scale Korean War AD. Specifically, night attack AD-4N/NL (the variant with two additional crew in the aft fuselage). I'm hoping someone can school me on the following:

How good (bad?) is the Trumpeter kit?

What would be involved to replicate the -4N version? I know this variant has the dive breaks deleted and crew access doors on the sides of the fuselage, anything else required (besides the radar pod) and does any of this stuff come w/ the Trumpeter kit?

Any aftermarket Korean War AD decals out there? I did a google search, no luck.

Thank you in advance!

Hi !

It seems you will have to build everything from scratch as the radar operator compartment is not provided in the kit.

My link

I have some projects involving blue Skyraiders, and judging from aftermarket decal availability it seems that AD never flew over Korea in any scale...

Hi !

It seems you will have to build everything from scratch as the radar operator compartment is not provided in the kit.

My link

I have some projects involving blue Skyraiders, and judging from aftermarket decal availability it seems that AD never flew over Korea in any scale...

That's too bad. Seems like most Korean War subjects are overlooked. I think I could probably scratchbuild everything to make a -5N, with the exception of the aft crew doors which have bulged windows.

What's with Trumpeter providing Vietnam era MK81/82 bombs for a Korean War Skyraider????

Hi all!

In the same vein, are there any A-1E conversion sets out there where I could use an old Tamiya A-1J kit I have on hand? I thought a resin fuselage was once available.

Jim

I believe the resin fuselage you are thinking of was done by C&H Aero Miniatures. If so, it's no longer available. Your best bet would probably be the Matchbox/Revell AD-5 conversion set which is available and inexpensive. Cobra Company sells a resin cockpit interior, and Steel Beach (available at Sprue Brothers) makes some other nice resin accessories.

Hi Dave!

Thank you very much for the info! I'll check into those parts and see what may work for me.

Jim

Jim, you're welcome. Of course the part about the Matchbox/Revell "conversion set" was tongue-in-cheek, though I have seen a couple of articles over the years where people have spliced parts of the Matchbox AD-5 fuselage into a Tamiya Skyraider kit and added the additional modifications to build a better A-1E that what you can get from the Matchbox kit alone. (This is a project I hope to get to myself at some point, most likely right before Tamiya announces a new AD-5/A1-E kit.) Also, in case it helps, note that Caracal decals in these forums just announced they're down to the last few copies of their excellent 1/48 A-1E decal sheets.

It would seem that we could use a modern, state of the art A-1E/AD-5 Skyraider kit. This version saw lots of action from Korea to Viet Nam so from Navy blue, USAF grey to tri-color SEA camouflage.

Lots to work with!

Jim

Ha! That would probably do the trick for sure! For what it's worth, I've listed the A-1E on the Finescale Modelers new kit wish list for a few years now (along with the Banshee and UH-1H).

Hope you're having a wonderful Father's Day!

Jim