Vietnam F-4E from the 1:72 Revell F-4F?

Hey everyone, quick question... anyone know if a Vietnam-era F-4E can be had from Revell's Pharewell Phantom boxing? I thought they included the early wing style, but my boxing doesn't seem to have them. Any other areas to pay attention to, or better boxings out there in 1:72? Thanks in advance!

Any other areas to pay attention to, or better boxings out there in 1:72? !

The Revell 1.72 F-4 has a misshapen nose, too square intakes, flat canopies, sloped fin cap, skinny and pointed tanks ... and so forth. Until Academy comes out with an E model, your best bet is a Hasegawa kit. Fujimi is a not-too-close second.

When you say "early wing style", I assume you mean unslatted, so you may want to check this thread that tells you how to use an F-4EJ if you can't find the hard wing kit. If you do a Google search, you'll find other articles on the "conversion".

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

The Revell 1.72 F-4 has a misshapen nose, too square intakes, flat canopies, sloped fin cap, skinny and pointed tanks ... and so forth. Until Academy comes out with an E model, your best bet is a Hasegawa kit. Fujimi is a not-too-close second.

When you say "early wing style", I assume you mean unslatted, so you may want to check this thread that tells you how to use an F-4J if you can't find the hard wing kit. If you do a Google search, you'll find other articles on the "conversion".

Gene K

Thanks for the reply, Gene,

hmm... bummer about the Revell kit, but glad I asked. I'll keep an eye out for the Hasegawa E.

I did mean the "unslatted" wings (forgot the terminology). I had to dig out the kit from my stash, but the Revell does have both slatted and unslatted included. It doesn't have the early centerline tank or empty outer hardpoints (they have the wing tanks attached), however. I ordered decals for "Chico the Gunfighter", so I'm going to put the gun pods on the outers. Hasegawa may be the way to go.

Indeed, Revell Phantoms used to have both the unslatted and slatted wings. Then there's the issue of unslatted tails. Don't remember if they are appliable to Vietnam era F-4E's Gene pretty much nailed what's wrong with the kit, I'll add the too long main landing gear struts, or too short nosewheel strut, giving the entire model slight nose down look.

Opps ... I had intended to say Hasegawa F-4EJ (Japanese) NOT F-4J, of course!!! (note not the F-4EJ Kai).

The Revell kit is superbly engineered ... too bad it has all the accuracy problems it does.

Gene K

Opps ... I had intended to say Hasegawa F-4EJ (Japanese) NOT F-4J, of course!!! (note not the F-4EJ Kai).

The Revell kit is superbly engineered ... too bad it has all the accuracy problems it does.

Gene K

The newer Hasy F-4EJ/Kai is the Vietnam hard wing F-4E with an extra sprue with the parts to modify the kit to a "Kai". I have two releases of the kit Nos. 00638 and E 37 (01567). I've seen many who believe a hard winged E cannot be made from these kits, but the two kits mentioned above prove that to be incorrect. As I stated, these are hard winged E's with EXTRA parts for the Kai. So, if you find one and want to build a VN E model, get it because it will work! I hope this helps you out.

DET1460

Indeed, Revell Phantoms used to have both the unslatted and slatted wings. Then there's the issue of unslatted tails. Don't remember if they are appliable to Vietnam era F-4E's Gene pretty much nailed what's wrong with the kit, I'll add the too long main landing gear struts, or too short nosewheel strut, giving the entire model slight nose down look.

No E had an unslatted tail.

Revell's 1/72 kit is tooled to be either a slatted F-4F or an unslatted RF-4E, ie the two variants the Bundesluftwaffe operated, depending on what sprues are in the box. It's not a good starting point for anything else (and as noted, is not a great representation of the long-nose F-4 in general).

The Hasegawa kits remain a much better option. look for the older version with raised panel lines if on a budget.