Dutch Airshow and F-35 Intro

Two videos. The first one is a lengthy tactical airshow with a whole bunch of stuff worth watching. Check out what appears to be a maximum rate (or nearly so) turn by an F-35 at about the 2:45-53 mark.

The second one features a couple of A/B take offs. The first aircraft pulls up pretty aggressively at about the 1:29 mark and is worth watching.

Now, based on thiis video at least, it appears to me that the F-35's airframe performance is in the same class as the previous generation 4 fighters. So, if this can be combined with all of the electronic and sensor advancements that the F-35 supposedly represents, it should be a solid aircraft. Still too expensive, I know, but if they procure it in the numbers planned it will represent a huge upgrade in overall capability in our military as well as that of our allies. A very big deal.

Edited by DutyCat

Don't show this to Justine, it'll confuse him that it is in service in another country.

Freudian slip, Scooby? Justine?

I thought his name was male: Justin Trudeau. Or maybe you are just in love with his hair? :woot.gif:

ALF

Video One DUTCH AIRSHOW was a great display. Those multi-aircraft TAC DEMO's are very exciting to watch. I wish more airshows would be able to do stuff like that.

F-35 is growing on me by its visual appearance. It's actually quite a nice looking aircraft now that we can see many videos of it flying. Its wing area is a lot larger than I thought especially when comparing it to the F-16's which itself can turn and burn with the best of them. It looks as if the F-35 is not going to be lamo at aerial maneuvering as some say.

Questions though.

I know people get hung up on top speed and F-35 will not win top speed races but IMO top speed is not a big factor in combat, but acceleration is. How does F-35A, F-35B and F-35C stack up against the teen series fighters in acceleration, first low to mid speed and second mid to high speeds?

Edited by Gordon Shumway

Questions though.

I know people get hung up on top speed and F-35 will not win top speed races but IMO top speed is not a big factor in combat, but acceleration is. How does F-35A, F-35B and F-35C stack up against the teen series fighters in acceleration, first low to mid speed and second mid to high speeds?

As it's been described by a few people "in the know"...it's got the alpha/nose pointing ability of a F/A-18A-C and the energy recovery of a Viper. From what I've read, the goal of the F-35 was to maintain, at least roughly, comparable performance to the F/A-18's and F-16's but dramatically improve sensors, computing, networking, range and obviously stealth.

As it's been described by a few people "in the know"...it's got the alpha/nose pointing ability of a F/A-18A-C and the energy recovery of a Viper. From what I've read, the goal of the F-35 was to maintain, at least roughly, comparable performance to the F/A-18's and F-16's but dramatically improve sensors, computing, networking, range and obviously stealth.

Thanks,

I've been sniffing around the web and have begun to find info about F-35 acceleration and AoA numbers. I saw a graph showing that from mach .8-1.2 F-35A is basically as quick as any other current combat jet (in clean config which 1st day of war F-35 will fly at) Only above 1.2 does its acceleration slow, but really how vital is that? Above mach 1.2 F-16BLK30+, F-15E, Mig 29, SU-27 begin to out accelerate it.

I agree about reading its AoA numbers are top notch too. Of course with all this arguing, pro F-35 side will play up its stuff and con F-35 side will play up its stuff too. My gut tells me in aerial performance F-35 is top notch. Other issues and such well I have no opinions on this but surely will be worked out as this is a big sales number jet for USAF, USN, USMC and other nations. For Canada if PM Sunny Ways keeps with his election rhetoric RCAF will probably get a very good combat jet, F-18E/F maybe G's too (lol if F-18E/F fingers crossed for G's) but if he is going to be a fair competition to the process PM, well F-35 will have an edge in notable ways. Either case RCAF will need new combat jets sooner than later.

...but if he is going to be a fair competition to the process PM, well F-35 will have an edge in notable ways...

Hence his hesitation or downright refusal to hold said competition as it will make him look very very bad and he can't have that now can he ;). We're beating a dead horse after the last thread on Canada's CF-18 replacement which I think got axed because it bothered someone, but "selecting" the SH would be merely settling for the sake of someone's ego.

:cheers:

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Don

It's going to be tough to sell what the PM is when airshows are happening, roll outs are occurring and production is ramping up. But enough about that.

USMC says the combat cruise speed will be Mach.94. Not super cruise, but that would be faster than gen 4 jets with the same combat load. Having that clean airframe when loaded really helps

Thanks,

I've been sniffing around the web and have begun to find info about F-35 acceleration and AoA numbers. I saw a graph showing that from mach .8-1.2 F-35A is basically as quick as any other current combat jet (in clean config which 1st day of war F-35 will fly at) Only above 1.2 does its acceleration slow, but really how vital is that? Above mach 1.2 F-16BLK30+, F-15E, Mig 29, SU-27 begin to out accelerate it.

I agree about reading its AoA numbers are top notch too. Of course with all this arguing, pro F-35 side will play up its stuff and con F-35 side will play up its stuff too. My gut tells me in aerial performance F-35 is top notch. Other issues and such well I have no opinions on this but surely will be worked out as this is a big sales number jet for USAF, USN, USMC and other nations. For Canada if PM Sunny Ways keeps with his election rhetoric RCAF will probably get a very good combat jet, F-18E/F maybe G's too (lol if F-18E/F fingers crossed for G's) but if he is going to be a fair competition to the process PM, well F-35 will have an edge in notable ways. Either case RCAF will need new combat jets sooner than later.

Stealth is the real strength, it doesn't matter what the performance numbers are if the other side can't get missile lock.

The Super Hornet is a major mistake. No, it won't be a good combat jet.

Nothing will changed JT mind.

Hence his hesitation or downright refusal to hold said competition as it will make him look very very bad and he can't have that now can he ;)/>. We're beating a dead horse after the last thread on Canada's CF-18 replacement which I think got axed because it bothered someone, but "selecting" the SH would be merely settling for the sake of someone's ego.

:cheers:/>

EDIT: Spelling.

The CF-18 thread isn't axed or locked.

Nice and peppy, sorta like a high tech F-16. When do the Brits and Canadians bring

theirs on line? Waiting for the Canuck 1/72 decals!!! Hint, hint,hint! smile.gif---John

I think the Brits already have a couple of B's, but as you can read from some of what others have said, the aircraft is now a giant political football up in the Great White North. If the aircraft finally delivers, as it appears it is going to, then regardless of what the RCAF finally orders, the Canadian government will have suffered an acute embarrassment over the whole episode. Unfortunate.

I think the Brits already have a couple of B's, but as you can read from some of what others have said, the aircraft is now a giant political football up in the Great White North. If the aircraft finally delivers, as it appears it is going to, then regardless of what the RCAF finally orders, the Canadian government will have suffered an acute embarrassment over the whole episode. Unfortunate.

That already occurred when we voted in the drama teacher.