I have two 1/48 MV-22 kits, one is a Testors (503) issue with a yellow tinted canopy and the other is an Italeri kit (2622)with a dark smoke tinted canopy. There is a release that combined Tamiya and Italeri with different decals which I do not have. Does anyone know if the canopy in that release was better than the other two? Something close to actual no tint at all?

Chris M

Thanks, I'll give them a try. What I'm really after is how many, if any, kits are easily available with accurate clear parts. Any kind of update set for this kit will be based on the probability people can actually build the kit realistically. As it is there is a substantial error on top of the fuselage to correct as well bad canopies. I can fix one thing but not the other. Personally I'll never build either yellow or dark part canopy kits.

Chris M

It appears some 2622 had clear glass. link

Maybe 825 has the clear glass you seek. link

Never heard of a Tamiya release but it might also have clear glass. link

I would say make the set with exterior and pit updates. Let the user decide if they want to update a pit or not but it's also not my money or time to spend on creating the product.

Thanks guys, 825 does have clear parts if it's a later issue. Newer 2622 kits have clear parts too. There had to have been a campaign to correct this problem at some time so early kits have bad canopy/window issues. I have contacted Italeri USA to see if these parts are available as replacements.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

Chris if you are thinking of an upgrade set for this kit I am all over that. I have two of the kits, a Testors version and an Italeri later version. To be honest not sure what canopies I have since have not opened it for a awhile. As you say there are issues with the kit but from what I understand it has to do with missing ECM blisters and that top of the wing box issue you mentioned.

I have plans for a what if RCAF SAR rescue aircraft for one of my kits so your set will come in handy for sure on one of them.

Edited by skyhawk174

For anyone who has the same issue as I do, HOBBICO is the US distributor of Italeri and they will order new frets of the glass pieces for you. Now it remains to be seen if the frets actually arrive as clear parts but it'll be up to 12 weeks before I find out.

Chris M

• 2 years later...

Since Hobbico went Bankrupt. Where can one get replacement Canopy and fuselage glass for an original release Testors/Italeri MV-22 Prototype? It doesn't have to be a yellow tinted one. A clear set from a newer kit would suffice. I want to make a what-if VMM-774 (MQ) in '80's Marine Green with white markings.

Edited by f4u4 nut
Error

I actually did get windows from Hobbico/Italeri. I asked for them by sprue number as clear window sets. Trouble was the sprue number was the same on all the window and canopy parts. What I got was two smoke tinted window sets. Don't know how else to get them to understand.

Chris M