The Department of Defense has officially granted DOC's restoration team permission to use McConnell's runway for taxi testing and initial flight tests. See the article at: http://www.b-29doc.com/2016/06/24/department-of-defense-approves-use-of-runway-at-mcconnell-air-force-base/ First flight is getting REALLY close.

The Department of Defense has officially granted DOC's restoration team permission to use McConnell's runway for taxi testing and initial flight tests. See the article at: http://www.b-29doc.com/2016/06/24/department-of-defense-approves-use-of-runway-at-mcconnell-air-force-base/ First flight is getting REALLY close.

Not as close as you think. The DoD won't permit a return flight to McConnel, Doc has to land elsewhere. So they are making sure she is good for an extended first flight.

Really silly decision making if you ask me. This puts pressure restraints on those involved with Doc's progress.

This was actually approved a few months back and there are still a few months away from first flight.

Not as close as you think. The DoD won't permit a return flight to McConnel, Doc has to land elsewhere. So they are making sure she is good for an extended first flight.

Really silly decision making if you ask me. This puts pressure restraints on those involved with Doc's progress.

This was actually approved a few months back and there are still a few months away from first flight.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find a field...it's Wichita, you can't spit without hitting one.

I'm sure they have a plan in place.

This press release says they can use the longer runway for high speed taxi and take offs and landings. I imagine they just need the longer runway for these initial test ops.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/aircraft-restoration/b-29-doc-pentagon-approval-fly.html

Isn't McConnel shared by Boeing and Spirit as well? Pretty much just a KC-135 USAF Reserve base?

Edited by 82Whitey51

The bigger issue is going to be finding a hangar space as a home. Boeing/Spirit have reluctantly given space to do the restoration. I'm not sure if they have a dedicated home. It'd be a shame to take off and not be able to land there

This is outstanding the DOC is almost ready to take flight again after all these years. I watched some of the videos just a few minutes ago and all I can say is that when those engines came to life it brought tears to my eyes. I have never felt this way before for any of the aircraft that have been restored to flight. This one seems to have hit me deep down inside. I can't wait to see DOC fly! GO DOC GO!!!!

Might be flying this month! They'll announce it on their webpage giving folks enough time to head down there. Active duty folks from Whiteman and Leavenworth are helping/will be in attendance.

I might have missed it somewhere, but if anyone knows what time the webcast begins tomorrow could they post it please. This I have to see!

Go DOC Go :thumbsup: !

:cheers:

Doc’s flight and ground crews expect to have wheels up at 8:30 a.m. CDT. The flight can be viewed by the public from locations along 47th Street South near Oliver in Wichita, including parking lots on the southwest corner of 47th Street South and Oliver. A live webcast will also be available at www.b-29doc.com/firstflight.

0900. DOC just lifted off from the McConnell AFB runway on her first light. A slight problem with the forward bomb bay door latch delayed the take off for a few minutes.

Edited by yardbird78

What a great sight to see! It's hard to imagine hundreds of these taking off for their raids in the Pacific.

One thing I was curious about, though. Why do planes keep their wheels down during test flights? Is it for "just in case of emergency" purposes? I would think that having the gear down would hinder its performance. Or is that the object? To limit its performance?