What acrylic brands you use ? What is the best brand

I normally use MM enamels for basic colors. I use acrylics for detail work, clear coats, and so on. One brand that I don't use is

MM Acrylics. They just have trouble sticking to anything. I read that some folks like MM Acryl products, but they're just not for

me. Tamiya is probably the brand of acrylic paint that I use most.

Mr Hobby (aka Gunze Aqueous) and Tamiya are excellent and between the you can get almost any colour. I use these almost exclusively and they can also be mixed with one another for custom paints. I use LifeColor and AKAN for specific subjects like Russian aircraft or when (on the rare occasion) i can't get or mix a colour from Tamiya and Mr Hobby.

LifeColor and AKAN are water based acrylics and don't spray as nicely in my experience although with a bit of practice they can be really good.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Tamiya

Gunze

Still have some old Model Master pouch paints that I've decanted into jars

Have a couple of bottles of Vallejo - but really only use the flat clear thinned in distilled water. The best flat clear I've used yet.

I sometimes spray a few 'non-acryclics' (Alclad, Model Master, Tamiya, Humbrol) and TBH they give a smoother result than acrylics. But as I build at the kitchen table, I can't get away with using them too much due to the strong odour.

However, I'm yet to try the yellow-topped lacquer Tamiya thinner with acrylics (I use their acryclic thinner). As soon as I find some of the lacquer stuff I'll give it a whirl. I suspect it may deliver a smoother result.

Remember though, Tamiya is a False Acrylic. It is a hybrid and does actually thin better with the yellow cap thinner. I just ordered a dozen Vallejo Model air to try..... Looking forward to trying them.

My preferred for airbrushing are Gunze Aqueous, Tamiya, Akan, and LifeColor (as a last resort). For brush-painting, Vallejo Model color. I've tried Vallejo Model Air but I simply can't seem to get along with them. Same with MM Acryl.

Rob

Tamiya is a "real Acrylic",,,,,,,it just doesn't thin with Water.

Like all of the Acrylics, Tamiya is made up of Ground up Plastic bits for the pigment.

Lacquer, Enamel and Aqueous Acrylics are just differences in the carrier,,,,,,with the compatible thinners changing for each type.

(if "Acrylic" meant water based, my Plexiglass windows wouldn't repel rain correctly)

1. Gunze Aqueous

2. Tamiya Acrylics

Eric

Japan it is then

Yup, same with me...

godzilla.jpg

Though, lately, I've been trying out Lifecolor, AK Interactive and Vallejo. Lifecolor is easy to thin ( just add water) and it gives a very nice matt finish. AK and Vallejo needs a bit of learning curve and you have to spray it in thin layers...wait for the 1st layer to dry....THEN spray the 2nd layer. Troublesome but gives a great coverage. I've also fallen in love with Vallejo Metal Color line for BMF finishes. It's acrylic but gives the (almost) fantastic finish of the enamel/lacquer based BMFs.

But overall, for ease of use and easy clean up, it's the Japanese brands that you want.

I normally use MM enamels for basic colors. I use acrylics for detail work, clear coats, and so on. One brand that I don't use is

MM Acrylics. They just have trouble sticking to anything. I read that some folks like MM Acryl products, but they're just not for

me. Tamiya is probably the brand of acrylic paint that I use most.

Hey Tim,

Like most acrylics, MM needs a good primer coat for it to stick.

I get the large bottles of Vallejo acrylic primer. I've had really good results with MM acrylics over this primer.

cheers,

Mike

Hey Tim,

Like most acrylics, MM needs a good primer coat for it to stick.

I get the large bottles of Vallejo acrylic primer. I've had really good results with MM acrylics over this primer.

cheers,

Mike

Thanks, I might give that a try. MM enamels thinned with lacquer thinner is pretty smelly. I use proper protection, but that doesn't keep the better half from smelling it upstairs. I just can't get her to wear a mask!!! HA!

Tamiya is a "real Acrylic",,,,,,,it just doesn't thin with Water.

Like all of the Acrylics, Tamiya is made up of Ground up Plastic bits for the pigment.

Lacquer, Enamel and Aqueous Acrylics are just differences in the carrier,,,,,,with the compatible thinners changing for each type.

(if "Acrylic" meant water based, my Plexiglass windows wouldn't repel rain correctly)

Boy I wish there was a LIKE button for your response here Rex! This should clear it up for everyone easily.

Cheers!

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

In order of preference.

Aeromaster

... you still have some viable Aeromaster? (Really wish that were still around.)

Current use:

Lifecolor - I've been moving more and more to this.

Vallejo

Using up Model Master

Gunze for a few specific colors

Some Tamiya

Remember though, Tamiya is a False Acrylic. It is a hybrid and does actually thin better with the yellow cap thinner. I just ordered a dozen Vallejo Model air to try..... Looking forward to trying them.

Shadoweng, Will you please post results on how the Vallejo Model Air paints performed?

That would be a big help.

Thanks!

egmccann I have hundreds of bottles of both Aeromaster and Polly Scale.

I got the Aeromaster when a guy was selling 100 bottles for $58 on Ebay a while ago.

I just changed the caps to the proper type for that bottle size,,,,,and they last perfectly. (Entire stock shaken every two months for five years, now)

(for "proper type" just get a bottle of Mr Paint, you will see the corrected cap design and the correct agitator to use)

I've been using the Ammo of Mig stuff. It's a different process and takes a little more time, but I've achieved some pretty cool results with it.

I have their MiG & Sukhoi colors set, along with a bottle of their thinner. What's the process like in using those colors?