Dauphin Question ( 1/72 scale)

Hi friends,

Not really a chopper guy but just going through some ideas in my head....

Is it possible to convert a 1/72 AS365N2 Dauphin kit into a AS565 variant with that unique nose? If so, what needs to be done?

Also, what needs to be done to convert the N2 into a N3?

Thank you :)

Edited by JackMan

The fact whether a radar is fitted or not is not a matter of the Dauphin's version. Also civil AS-365 N2-3 can carry the nose of a AS-565 Panther.

Study your reference material as there are different nose cones (e.g. the one of HH-65C/D is different to that one of the French Navy AS-565.)

AFAIK, most of the differences between a N2 and a N3 are internal (digital engine control, stronger engines, uprated transmission). The only external difference is the fact that a N3 has a ten bladed (instead of 11) fenestron with asymmetrical blade distribution.

troschi, thanks for the info. I didn't know that about the nose.

Moritz, yeah, I was thinking about that kit or the old Matchbox one.

Still no clue how to do one in 1/72 scale though....

Aside from the radar nose, is the basic air frame the same for both the 365 and 565? If so, I might be able to use putty and sculpt the nose.

troschi, thanks for the info. I didn't know that about the nose.

Moritz, yeah, I was thinking about that kit or the old Matchbox one.

Still no clue how to do one in 1/72 scale though....

Aside from the radar nose, is the basic air frame the same for both the 365 and 565? If so, I might be able to use putty and sculpt the nose.

It's basically the same, but beware of different rear cabin door arrangements (also with the civvie ones).

What is the original aiecraft you want to build?

It's basically the same, but beware of different rear cabin door arrangements (also with the civvie ones).

What is the original aiecraft you want to build?

Haven't made up my mind yet. But I really like the Israeli Panther ( Atalef) and the French Navy versions. Generally prefer the military/government AS-565s rather than the civilian ones. The Panther seems like an extensive modification so I might start with something like the Mexican Navy version or the US Coast Guard version and then go on from there.

After some googling, I gather there is a 1/72 AS-565 conversion set by some S.American company called "Duarte"? Any one know where I can get my hands on one?

I'm kinda partial to the Bulgarian Dauphins. :wub:

Here are Norbert's "CliffsNotes" for Dauphin modelling. :lol: From this thread: LINK! References are to the KittyHawk 1/48 kit.

<...>

When you look to a Dauphin, you have to look to some details in order to know if the plastic kit allows to replicate the model you want to buid.

In a twin engine Dauphin, you have to take care :

short or long nose ? (this boxing has only the long nose)

length of nose windows each side (short or long but KH kit supplies both sizes)

metallic or composite tail (both are also in KH kit)

10, 11 or 13 blade fenestron-tail rotor (this boxing has only the 11 blades inside)

bulged or flat rear sliding door ? (this boxing has only bulged)

round, half mond or half mound with cooler exhaust ? (this boxing has half mound)

So when I look to a Dauphin picture, I make a short check to find out the version, as you can do with a AH-1

Norbert

Another thread on the KittyHawk kit that might prove insightful: LINK!

And there are a few threads on the Trumpeter 1/35 HH-65 that might also contain useful bits of information: LINK #1! LINK #2!