1/48 AIRFIX BAe Harrier GR.3

I'm new here and i'm hoping this thread will serve as a way of introduction. My past modelling efforts has been in trains (Link if you're interested:

), but recently I've taken an interest in aircraft modelling.

I picked up a couple kits recently, and the first kit i'm attempting is a AIRFIX Harrier GR3 in 1/48.

I started with the exhaust/thrust nozzles that are part of the kit. I didn't take any before photos (shame, cause they were truly terrible) but I hollowed out the nozzles so that I can add better detail.

27292791554_dfe9fd2038_z.jpg

27870334736_27054a29e7_z.jpg

The "fins" will be next up, I plan on using 0.005" styrene. More to come.

Edited by CircleT

I haven't fully figured out how I am going to do the fins inside the nozzles so I moved on to another part while I try to find a good solution.

I focused my attention on the engine intakes and creating more detail than what the kit provided. I started with the small engine intake, located right behind the vent "doors". I used this photo as a reference on how to improve the vent: http://aircraft-photographs.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/gatwick-RAF-hawker-harrier-gr3-air-intakes.jpg. You can see that the vent is flush at the small end and at the rear of the intake is closer to the centerline of the aircraft. Here is what I came up with:

27955987736_12c9fd7a08_b.jpg

27376455563_bfac8938c0_b.jpg

I then turned my attention to the vent "doors" on the engine intakes. The molded detail was lacking and I wanted to more accurately have the capability to model the doors in whatever position I choose.

Here is the what I have come up with so far. I still have to finish the lower 4 doors.

27955753576_577bbbe294_b.jpg