Eduard 1/72 Lavochkin La-7

I started this kit two weekends ago while waiting for the layers of oil paint and Future cured on the I-16.

Managed to get quite a bit done that weekend but not much since then so anyway, on with the pics.

kXV4aVJ.jpg

Andrew D came through with some spare decals, right now I am leaning towards white 23 but we'll see how it goes.

hesciD9.jpg?1

Major parts off sprues.

0ud58ti.jpg?1

Where we are at now.

4WHSnXj.jpg?1

So far the fit has been good. As the "weekend" edition there is no PE though Eduard included their unique fabric seat belts. My only dislike so far is the vapid expanse of nothingness behind the pilots seat bulkhead. In the "weekend" spirit of the kit I am simply painting it black. I wish the cockpit floor had been molded separate of the wing but oh well, just makes for some careful gluing and paint touch-ups.

More to come. Thanks for looking.

Jim S

Edited by Jim S

Oh, cool, extra reason to follow this; you'll love this kit, it's a great one! :thumbsup:/>/>

Hey Andrew. You're right, it is a nice kit. Glad I came across your spare decals too because I went from the two kit options I didn't really like to too many options!

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Jim S

Nice start Number 24 looks cool too Looking forward to more

Martin H

Hello Martin,

I agree White 24 is eye catching and worse yet there is the ever intriguing personal history of the pilot- Ahmed Kahn Sultan. Here's a link to the Wiki page- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amet-khan_Sultan

My biggest problem is the fuselage decal is simply intimidating, figure I'll rip the thing for sure. We'll just have to see how it goes, OK?

Thanks for the visit,

Jim S

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested to see your approach to the landing gear. I built this kit around 2008, and remember being annoyed by the many butt-joints for the gear doors, etc. May have another go at it.

Your work in this GB has been inspirational, and also hard on my wallet :)

Spruebros should give you a discount :D

I'm very interested to see your approach to the landing gear. I built this kit around 2008, and remember being annoyed by the many butt-joints for the gear doors, etc. May have another go at it.

Your work in this GB has been inspirational, and also hard on my wallet :)/>/>

Spruebros should give you a discount :D/>/>

Hey RKic,

Haven't made it to the landing gear yet but first thing that comes to mind is Pin Vise, brass rod, Crazy Glue or GO2 glue. Thank you for the heads up!

Inspirational = Good thing!

Hard on wallet = Not so good!

Spruebros discount? If Mr. Kwan is up for it, I'm down for it! :woot.gif:/>

Thanks for stopping by. Right now I am trying to catch up with the Yak-3 so I won't have any time to spend on the La-7 until next weekend, if then. And yes this is such a nice kit I might have

another go at it myself someday!

Have a good one,

Jim S

• 3 weeks later...

Jim how's the fit with main wings and fuselage?

Hello Murad,

The fit wasn't too bad but it took a little bit of work. Had to shim the upper wing from the inside to make the cockpit floor flat, sanded the upper wing and trimmed the fuselage wall at the

trailing edge of the wing to help the lower wing match the bottom of the fuselage. The biggest gap was in front of the wheel wells but that's no big deal. Hardest thing to do was align the

cockpit walls/armor plate with the wing root. The lack of locating pins or tabs made it a hassle to line everything up so I lined up one side, clamped it,swiped the joint with Tamiya extra

thin cement and let it dry overnight. The next morning I adjusted, clamped and cemented the other side. Took twice the effort to line up the second side as I had to use a toothpick to wedge the

wall away from the seat bulkhead and spread the fuselage a little bit at the instrument panel bulkhead. I kind of think if the bulkheads were glued fully to the sidewalls, the walls wouldn't

match the wing very well. What do you think?

Please follow the link to the album. Imgur has changed their interface a little bit and I don't have time to figure it out right now.

http://imgur.com/a/mAIBw

Thanks for stopping by.

Jim S

Edited by Jim S