CD72048 - F-106A Delta Dart - Part 2

This is the second 1/72 scale F-106A sheet for the new Meng kit - the follow-on to the very successful first sheet (CD72043).

Coming next month - the five options on the sheet are 48, 49, 87 and 318 FIS, and the single-engine speed record holder.

cd72048promo.jpg

FWIW, today I took delivery of the Xtradecal sheet (X72246) 'Convair F-106A/B Delta Dart Pt1'. The #1 choice for me (although I never seem to get time to do any modelling these days, I still want the bits!) is the 318 FIS scheme; so I will definitely be getting the Caracal and Fundekals sheets also.

Although there are some other interesting markings in the Xtradecal selection, the Green Dragons items are missing the tank flashes and the blues look very suspect -the lighter one is way too dark, and the Caracal profiles above look much better. This is clearly an issue for one or two decal makers, as the blues in Hasegawa's 1/48 F-15A decals are off too! The blue 539 FIS tail flash looks fine, however...as do most of the other colors, from what I can tell. I'm intrigued by the -B options, I wonder if Hannants know something...!

• 1 month later...

Very nice, any chance these will be in 1/48 as well?

This sheet indeed turned out very nice - I am very happy with the details and colors. Some of these options will also be available on a new 1/48 sheet coming in October.

cd72048d1.jpg

cd72048d2.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting this sheet! Still a little uncertain about the 318 tail flash light blue, however:

(Sorry, I have no idea who owns these photos).

But this is Xtradecal's interpretation -printed by Microscale!

X72-246.jpg

.... :dontknow:

Edited by ChippyWho

I'm really looking forward to getting this sheet! Still a little uncertain about the 318 tail flash light blue, however:..

But this is Xtradecal's interpretation -printed by Microscale!

Does that color even remotely look like the color in the actual period photos to you? As a matter of principle I do not like commenting on other decal manufacturers' work; I think there are enough period photos out there for everyone to draw their conclusion.

I used the same lighter blue color I used in the MA ANG markings on the first sheet. It matches the values I measured from period photos of the 318 FIS, and I have no concerns about its accuracy.

Edited by KursadA

Does that color even remotely look like the color in the actual period photos to you? As a matter of principle I do not like commenting on other decal manufacturers' work; I think there are enough period photos out there for everyone to draw their conclusion.

I used the same lighter blue color I used in the MA ANG markings on the first sheet. It matches the values I measured from period photos of the 318 FIS, and I have no concerns about its accuracy.

A very good principle that is too -and quite honestly, I don't think any comment is necessary! :evil-laughter: The absence of the tank flashes from the Xtradecal sheet is, however, deplorable.

Now, that blue...I am naturally wary of declaring a 'definitive' shade of any color in this business -were these emblems always painted in the same colors? Do the images in various photos acquire skewed values in different light/weather conditions? The only thing I know is that the 'starburst' of 318 FIS looks utterly fab whatever the camera does to it!

I have no doubts this sheet will do it full justice. :thumbsup:

Edited by ChippyWho
  • 3 weeks later...