Copyright infringement

A while ago I recall an aftermarket decal company wanting to release a decal sheet containing the markings and crew names of the aircraft and pilots in the movie Top Gun but was told by Paramount pictures that they could not continue with the process due to copyright infringement. I was wanting to find a decal sheet for VAQ-209 "Star Warriors" EA-18G which has Darth Vaders helmet painted on their tails but could not find any. I was thinking that there may be a similar issue as the Top Gun decal sheets regarding copyright issues with Vaders helmet. I was just wondering if anyone here has heard anything regarding this as a possibility.

Mark

Once it is put on to a U.S. Govt aircraft, doesn't it immediately, in that specific instance and likeness, become public domain?

Nope. Lucasfilm still retains copyright and trademark to anything associated with Star Wars, including that image of Darth Vader. Just because it's on a government aircraft, doesn't mean it's public domain - think about how the Navy was able to license the CONA stuff, and all those Seahawks that have the custom artwork painted on them. The exception would be Felix the Cat on VF-31, because those cartoons have passed into the public domain (as I recall - someone correct me if I'm wrong). The squadron logos that were created by the squadrons, however ARE public domain because they were created by a government employee for government use.

• 3 years later...

Necro thread for the record. 😀   VAQ-209 has a letter on file from Lucasfilms allowing the use of the Vader head.  I actually had to produce it for an Inspector General investigation when I was the PAO.

On 5/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, Pugs said:

Necro thread for the record. 😀   VAQ-209 has a letter on file from Lucasfilms allowing the use of the Vader head.  I actually had to produce it for an Inspector General investigation when I was the PAO.

Good gouge!