The CAD shots that they posted last year looked like G-model engines on an H-model fuselage/wings.  The box art for their G showed it with the strakelets so I imagine that's how they'll mold it.  But I do agree the option for either would be nice.

-Ryan

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

B.Sin,

Thank you for the vote of confidence.  I won't ask how you know, but I do have a question.  Will the Modelcollect B-52G feature wing strakelets (per SALT II Treaty) "molded in" or will they be an "add on" piece. The test shots do not show the strakelets.  I much prefer the "add on" option, so that a straight wing B-52G conventional bomber can be built. Just curious.

R/

Dutch

Mr.Dutch,

To be honest with you, I don't know, I have no inside information whatsoever. You know as much as I do. But they did release the B-2 and looks to be like a very nice kit.  Why would they not go ahead and do the B-52, since it's very popular.

Brad

1 hour ago, BN7149 said:

The CAD shots that they posted last year looked like G-model engines on an H-model fuselage/wings.  The box art for their G showed it with the strakelets so I imagine that's how they'll mold it.  But I do agree the option for either would be nice.

-Ryan

Ryan,  Is there any way to communicate the wish for separate strakelets to Modelcollect?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't wait.  I got a great deal ( I mean great deal) on a AMT/ERTL early B-52G and reasonable deals on the Buff Master Design Lumps and Bumps set and the HASB.  Already had the Paragon AGM-142 HAVE NAP weapons and Wolfpak decals and just received the Warbird black stencils.  So I asked Hobby Search Japan if I could cancel my backorder for the ModelCollect B-52G kit, as it has been over one year on backorder.  They graciously agreed.  So I am off to the races and will continue to watch the release and reviews to see if I gambled correctly. R/ Dutch

Not sure what the 'gamble' is.  The kit will be released, development just takes time.

Also, interesting to note that the AMK F-14 was announced in 2015, with firm promises on a 2015 release date.  We're now in year 3 of "it's absolutely definitely going to be on the shelves in the next 6 months), yet the general consensus seems to be: "it will come out when it comes out; I'd rather them take their time to make sure it's right."  Meanwhile the Modelcollect bombers were announced in 2016, with no release date and very clearly at the start of the development cycle, yet the common refrain is that it's vapourware, and will never come out, and Modelcollect are terrible.

It's not even about track records - Modelcollect have more than a hundred releases in their catalogue.  AMK has, what... five?

Weird.

I wonder, when AMK releases their F-14 and MoFo will definitely buy and build a dozen or so of them (since apparently it is such a dear aircraft and kit to him???), what will he be complaining about next? Which company will be the chosen one? Stay tuned! Either way, i am looking forward to the inevitable MoFo AMK F-14 in-progress thread. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have nothing else available in model world for the past 3 years to be worthy of being built other than the AMK F-14.

:rolleyes::sunrevolves:

Edited by Berkut

I'm just hoping and praying that it's not "vaporware". Same with the Kinetic 72nd C-17. Modelcollect's models ROCK. And....I think they are legit and intentional. I think they'll come through. Gut feeling. But only time will tell. I tend to be positive though....

I mean no disrespect to ModelCollect.  I am under a deadline to get the thing built for a friend as a gift to a former BUFF pilot.  If they do release it and it includes separate wing strakelets, then I will definitely consider it in the future.  It will just cost a little more.  If the strakelets are molded in, then it might be "Bridge Too Far," anyway.

Edited by Dutch
  • 3 months later...

Test shot on Facebook; separate flaps, bomb bay interior, & rotary launcher:

Modelcollect paired this photo with the B-52G box art, leading to "what about the H?" comments on Facebook, but this particular sprue would be common to both boxings.

Could be the angle or the parts breakdown, but the shape of what I presume to be the bomb bay interior on the lower right is concerning.  That said, it's still more of a bomb bay than AMT provided!

Jonah

Edited by Gator52

Another:

I'm guessing the rectangular parts at the top of the image form the gear wells...though the front and rear wells are significantly different from each other on the real thing, close to how AMT depicted it.

The inside of the gear doors looks pretty good, and it looks like the housing for the landing lights is incorporated onto 2 of them, a detail that AMT missed.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52

@Jonah, Now I am curious as well.  If the strakelets are add on pieces, then I may have to buy one when it comes out.  Can't use the ALCM / pylons, so will have to source the older Hound Dog pylon with HASB and MERs.  R/ Dutch

The narrowing shape of the upper aft fuselage looks like it's patterned after a faired-over gunner's position on the B-52A-F, rather than the subtly-tapered actual shape of the G/H.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52

Presumably the ACES seats are just stand-ins....

I definitely like the open bomb bay, crew entry hatch, and dropped flap options, but I hope the shape of the radome/forward fuselage isn't finalized yet...

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
4 hours ago, Mistral said:

Wings in flying position i.e. bent upwards. I wonder if they'll provide them at rest ?

Highly unlikely to have two sets of wings in one kit. If that's how this kit comes, it's a non starter for me. I'm not going through a fix for on the ground display. Seems like an odd choice to me. 

Rick L. 

I agree with Rick.  Judging from the photos, it seems they have molded the wings with more upward sweep than even the older AMT/ERTL kits. That one could be fixed with only a couple of cuts and added strips on the wing top inboard of the engines.  However, this one looks like it will require more effort, especially on the outboard wing panels.

And I also agree with Jonah, the nose and antennae shapes are wrong.  Below is a photo of an H nose for comparison.  The kit nose appears to drop away too much, more similar to the earlier B-C-D-E-F noses.  Also the antennae appear to be undersized.  They have missed the rather pronounced fuselage / radome flair line.

86978952_7253599082_3fd0f3701b_o.jpg

Edited by Dutch

You would think that with all of the frustration over the AMT offering and the "flying pose" wings...that ModelCollect would not even THINK about offering wings in the flying pose. If they don't offer an alternative wing assembly or something.....I'm out. I refuse to pay over $100.00 for such poor workmanship and marketing. Not to mention the nose and antennas......

Well on the bright side the wings look awesome for an in flight model...they actually got the upsweep curve perfect. Very elegant.

No idea what they did to the nose it looks very wrong...

Change of plan all B-52’s will be modelled in flight now...

Well, I guess I'll just keep my AMT kits then and pass on this one. No sense dropping $100+ on a new kit that needs surgery when the old kits (that need surgery) were bought and paid for years ago. Bummer...

They look like they orginally got the droop rght then somehow flipped it to upsweep...bizarre.

The nose def needs some work, reverse the wings and it will be a starter..maybe..lol