3 hours ago, DUNEDEVIL said:

The more I hear I’m glad I still

have my DB B-52 stuff. So what

ever we get I should be covered

Have to say I’m not terribly impressed with the new kits either.  Aside from the G kit errors, lots of lumps, bumps, and antennas are missing from the H, plus wide panel lines, ACES seats ?!, and other stuff.  Still holding on to my Cutting Edge conversions.

Lucky you the cutting edge were there and gone so fast I didn’t even get a chance. never even got to see what they look like but the DB is good so I’ll have to deal with that and I still have my AMT and Italieri kits so I have a lot of spare parts 

im just looking forward to receiving the update so I can move forward.

10 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

Just a thought... have MC mentioned retooling the wing tanks at all? They're much too small.

I get them not wanting to retool the landing gear bays and legs, but those wing tanks are VERY visible.

You do realize that the wing tanks on the G and H were MUCH smaller than the tanks on the D/F, right? Or are you saying that they are too small for the small tanks on the G/H?

Yep, and they point towards the sky!! 

If you scale them on a drawing to a known correct dimension on the airframe then compare measurements to the AMT H you’ll find that AMT got it right. MC are too small. 

Have you seen my kit comparison, “Buffing up on the Buff”? It’s on my channel “Nigel’s modelling bench”. 

Edited by Nigelr32
10 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

Just a thought... have MC mentioned retooling the wing tanks at all? They're much too small.

I get them not wanting to retool the landing gear bays and legs, but those wing tanks are VERY visible.

"Channel" ? Are we talking Youtube? Facebook? A link would help. Thanks.

Here you go.. I start on the drop tanks at about 24:00. 

Another issue with getting old is memory loss.. the MC tanks are actually too big. Also note in the still above the MC has no AOA mech features for the tailplanes on the fuselage.

Edited by Nigelr32
23 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

Here you go.. I start on the drop tanks at about 24:00. 

Another issue with getting old is memory loss.. the MC tanks are actually too big. Also note in the still above the MC has no AOA mech features for the tailplanes on the fuselage.

Nigel, great review of the positive and negative features of all three kits.  I hope you'll do an update when the "correction kit" is released, though this clearly won't address all of the inaccuracies/shortcomings you've already noted.

To clarify the question in your video about the "2 tone vs 3 tone" color scheme question, the correct colors are 34086 green and 36081 gray above with 36118 and 36081 on the undersides.  36118 is "gunship gray" (now adopted as the single overall color for the fleet).

Because 36081 is nearly the same value (light/dark) as 34086 and can have a slightly warm/greenish cast, it can be tricky to distinguish the pattern on faded airframes. (There was also a very brief period, roughly between the end of Desert Storm and restructuring from SAC to ACC, when a small portion of the fleet wore overall 36081 before 36118 became the universal standard).

17 minutes ago, Quixote74 said:

Nigel, great review of the positive and negative features of all three kits.  I hope you'll do an update when the "correction kit" is released, though this clearly won't address all of the inaccuracies/shortcomings you've already noted.

To clarify the question in your video about the "2 tone vs 3 tone" color scheme question, the correct colors are 34086 green and 36081 gray above with 36118 and 36081 on the undersides.  36118 is "gunship gray" (now adopted as the single overall color for the fleet).

Because 36081 is nearly the same value (light/dark) as 34086 and can have a slightly warm/greenish cast, it can be tricky to distinguish the pattern on faded airframes. (There was also a very brief period, roughly between the end of Desert Storm and restructuring from SAC to ACC, when a small portion of the fleet wore overall 36081 before 36118 became the universal standard).

Thanks for the compliments and the information. as soon as I have the update set I will do an update video, if the update set arrives in my lifetime that is?

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:09 AM, Hooker169 said:

Here are the new strakelets and gun parts. 

MC says they are in mass production now and should start going out soon.Cbwxvo.jpg

sVrRjg.jpg

@Hooker169  Thank you for honchoing this effort with MC for all of us BUFF buffs (any pun is purely incidental and unintentional).  I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that I really appreciate your efforts.  I also ordered my B-52G correction set on 1 Feb (just after Nigel, I am told. Don't ask me how I know!)  Has anyone received theirs yet and is willing to share still photos before Nigel does his YouTube video comparison / analysis? R/ Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Has anyone received theirs yet and is willing to share still photos before Nigel does his YouTube video comparison / analysis? R/ Dutch

For what it's worth, I ordered mine towards the beginning of January and am on the west coast of the US so if they ship in the order that the orders were received I should be an early receiver. Nothing yet.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Hooker169  Thank you for honchoing this effort with MC for all of us BUFF buffs (any pun is purely incidental and unintentional).  I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that I really appreciate your efforts.  I also ordered my B-52G correction set on 1 Feb (just after Nigel, I am told. Don't ask me how I know!)  Has anyone received theirs yet and is willing to share still photos before Nigel does his YouTube video comparison / analysis? R/ Dutch

Thanks Dutch but I’m just a modeler like you. Initially I poo poo’d this kit like everyone else but quickly realized that the only way to get a better kit was to approach MC.

I found them to be receptive so I gathered a group to try and assist where we could.

While it’s certainly not 100% fixed it’s way better then it was. And if nothing else comes of this at least MC listened to the Buff fans and decided there were too many errors and that the D will be a complete new-tool kit.

So my suggestion would be to go over to the D thread and add all the options we feel need improvement or options we feel are important to a new-tool D.

Some feel uncomfortable helping MC, which is understandable but this may be the wave of the future in an effort to keep prices down. I’m sure Tamiya would produce a fantastic B-52 kit but it would no doubt cost $200+ and I’m convinced many of us wouldn’t pay that.

2 minutes ago, Hooker169 said:

Thanks Dutch but I’m just a modeler like you. Initially I poo poo’d this kit like everyone else but quickly realized that the only way to get a better kit was to approach MC.

I found them to be receptive so I gathered a group to try and assist where we could.

While it’s certainly not 100% fixed it’s way better then it was. And if nothing else comes of this at least MC listened to the Buff fans and decided there were too many errors and that the D will be a complete new-tool kit.

So my suggestion would be to go over to the D thread and add all the options we feel need improvement or options we feel are important to a new-tool D.

Some feel uncomfortable helping MC, which is understandable but this may be the wave of the future in an effort to keep prices down. I’m sure Tamiya would produce a fantastic B-52 kit but it would no doubt cost $200+ and I’m convinced many of us wouldn’t pay that.

Hooker,  Well that is news. While I am a small BUFF fan, I think I will only do the two 1/72 Gs I have now (1x AMT, 1x MC) and a handful of 1/144 kits.  1/144 scale works better for me, especially since Kursad of Caracal promises to reduce his 1/72 B-52 sheets to 1/144 in the near-mid future.  So, I will most likely not get a 1/72 D, unless I win the Lotto or some unknown rich relative leaves me a small fortune. But thanks for the good news! 

2 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

And if nothing else comes of this at least MC listened to the Buff fans and decided there were too many errors and that the D will be a complete new-tool kit.

:nanner:I missed that, did they announce it publicly or just mention it in an e-mail?

Regards,

Murph

3 hours ago, Murph said:

:nanner:I missed that, did they announce it publicly or just mention it in an e-mail?

Regards,

Murph

Nothing official but MC mentioned in a messenger session they were unhappy with the current tooling and needed revised molds for the D.

He also mentioned this evening the G correction sets are in production now and need more time since they sold so many kits.

I try to pass on as much info as possible.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:12 AM, Quixote74 said:

Is that scheme what is worn by 59-2596 in this photo? USAF Official

47183351662_60a6b3f2dd_c.jpg59-2596 USAF official 02 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

9 hours ago, K5054NZ said:

Is that scheme what is worn by 59-2596 in this photo? USAF Official

47183351662_60a6b3f2dd_c.jpg59-2596 USAF official 02 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Yes, that appears to be the 3-tone scheme (34086/36081 uppers, 36118/36081 lowers).  Note the green most visible ahead of the wing root and above the palm tree on the tail. The 36118 (lighter of 2 grays) is harder to distinguish since it's on the undersurface with harsh shadows in this shot, but I believe what you see on the bomb bay and aft landing gear doors is 36118 (substantially lighter & "cooler" gray than the prevailing 36081).

If I recall correctly that bird is now in a museum in Australia, so there could be some variation in color and/or pattern depending on the timeframe and potential "restoration" work.

It is there, my Dad's been to see it hence my interest. Although I'd much rather finish any future model as she appeared pre-delivery rather than the quite faded version she has now.

What are the odds anyone has any drawing/marking scheme for this?

On 2/25/2019 at 3:32 PM, Dave Williams said:

Have to say I’m not terribly impressed with the new kits either.  Aside from the G kit errors, lots of lumps, bumps, and antennas are missing from the H, plus wide panel lines, ACES seats ?!, and other stuff.  Still holding on to my Cutting Edge conversions.

Doesnt that conversion have some pretty big problems of its own?

From memory it doesnt have the rear fuselage bracing to properly convert the monogram kits to a H model

On 3/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, K5054NZ said:

It is there, my Dad's been to see it hence my interest. Although I'd much rather finish any future model as she appeared pre-delivery rather than the quite faded version she has now.

I don't know of anyone doing the markings for "Old Soldier," and the nose art and palm tree would be pretty complex to do from scratch.  I think some releases of the Monogram B-52D included the 43BW wing badge but it would've been full-color vs low-viz as needed for this scheme.  You might reach out to Caracal since they have a "SAC era" BUFF sheet in the works.

As far as the colors go, the contrast between shades was pretty low to begin with (and based on photos I'd say fading to blend them further happened pretty rapidly).

The standard pattern for the 3-tone (sometimes called "strategic") scheme can be seen here:

B-52_SIOP_1980s_2.jpg

B-52_SIOP_1980s.jpg

2 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

I don't know of anyone doing the markings for "Old Soldier," and the nose art and palm tree would be pretty complex to do from scratch.  I think some releases of the Monogram B-52D included the 43BW wing badge but it would've been full-color vs low-viz as needed for this scheme.  You might reach out to Caracal since they have a "SAC era" BUFF sheet in the works.

"Old Soldier"  is one of the options on the SAC B-52 sheet coming from Caracal in April.

37 minutes ago, KursadA said:

"Old Soldier"  is one of the options on the SAC B-52 sheet coming from Caracal in April.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, K5054NZ said:

Ask and you shall receive! Kursad comes through again!

Just a clarification that I am doing the one with the "Old Soldier" nose art - I am not sure if I am following the discussion correctly, but the last photo posted shows the "Pride of Darwin" nose art. I have also drawn this one, but I am not sure if I am going to have space for it on the sheet yet.

I wanted to like the H kit, esp after 15-20 hrs of effort into the AMT kit. Plastic is thick, but soft. 16 parts engineered for under/behind cockpit which will never be seen (unless you’re doing a cutaway) followed by no fan blades on rear of engines, which would be seen. Antennas on new H sprue but no mention on reduced size instructions. Tail code decals accurate for about 1/32 scale, wing tanks way too long and fat. Vortex generators on top of tailplanes only (some G wing vg broken off in pkg), no tread on tires, aces2 seats(what?). Panel lines nearly as large as 1/1 B-52. No paint call outs. This a modeler’s kit, not an assembler’s. I listed some basic issues, not even close to the nit pickers list. If you build slats up/bomb bay doors closed, this should be a simple kit to get the simple details correct, even if it is huge. Too much time spent on details unseen, not enough on the obvious. $100+ kit should not need an after market correction set to pass the eyeball test. Fail.