006.  MC tanks with Monogram 1/48 F-4C SUU-23 gun pod in between.  Looks pretty good.  The only reason I went through this drill is that I am not satisfied with either AMT or MC wing tanks and do not have any DB or Airwaves replacements available, so thought to see if I could use a handy substitute.  I have several Monogram 1/48 F-4C Phantom kits for which I will not use the SUU-23 pod, so it may prove my best bet at substitution.  I will need four to do 2 B-52 kits.

006.JPG

On 4/21/2019 at 1:50 AM, Dutch said:

006.  MC tanks with Monogram 1/48 F-4C SUU-23 gun pod in between.  Looks pretty good.  The only reason I went through this drill is that I am not satisfied with either AMT or MC wing tanks and do not have any DB or Airwaves replacements available, so thought to see if I could use a handy substitute.  I have several Monogram 1/48 F-4C Phantom kits for which I will not use the SUU-23 pod, so it may prove my best bet at substitution.  I will need four to do 2 B-52 kits.

006.JPG

Next time I'm back in the UK and have time to dig some stuff out I'll post some pics comparing the different tanks...

From memory I have all but the CE tanks, including the buffmaster ones 

34 minutes ago, Tracy White said:

Question - why would we do this as opposed to having Barracuda also doing the tanks so we get the best of current technology from a good company and can "sole source" all the improvements from one vendor?

If Barracuda Studios builds a better mouse trap, then the world will beat a path to its door instead of Hannants.  I am quite surprised some enterprising individual hasn't 3-D CAD designed a set of wingtip tanks and offered them on Shapeways.   I really don't care which route people prefer.   

Edited by Dutch
sarcasm removed, additional info provided.

That was kind of my point (no disrespect was meant). According to Scalemates the Airwaves set is almost 50 years old - and while I've seen older kits and sets be more accurate than some new tools, I trust Roy's work and would prefer his experience and resin over something that was a real early iteration of aftermarket. I'm all for competition and not having monopolies but it goes both ways and cheap, old re-pops hurt the chances for new releases at a higher cost.

Wow! Thanks for posting this photo. The pylon shapes are completely different. The tanks appear to be roughly the same size, though the BM looks to be narrower and more cylindrical.  I  believe that the real McCoy is more cylindrical in shape ala the DB & BM castings.  The pylons will have to be adjusted for accuracy.  I have been browsing the web for B-52G/H winttip tank photos and have come across several for comparison purposes.  This webpage is of particular interest. https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/boeing-b-52h-stratofortress/

001. B-52H 61-0023 circa 10 Jan 1964.

001.JPG

002. B-52G 58-0184 416th BW, Griffiss AFB, 1990?

002.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Based on tank shape and dimensions and pylon shape (LE/TE taper), my best guess is that the DB tanks look to be the best of the bunch followed closely by the AMT/ERTL tanks.  I welcome comments.

Edited by Dutch

I think I read once that the original "white" nose was too clearly visible when the BUFF approached its target, so they changed to black to improve "stealthiness"...

HAJO

2 hours ago, P-38 guy said:

I'm guessing no one has seen or heard from MC about the correction set for the G yet?

Mike

I’ve reached out to MC several times over the last few weeks with zero replies. So it seems my source has dried up.

Edited by Hooker169
Can’t spel

Wonder if they will do a correction set for the H model, too. Different errors on the H (underwing tip tanks, engine intake shapes, missing antennas, wrong photoetched fins for cruise missiles . . . nah, they probably can't afford to do more corrections. 

Got a reply from MC today regarding the G correction set. Apparently they had a setback during ‘mass production’. He said he hopes to begin shipping next week. FYI

Edited by Hooker169

Hi everyone,

Is anyone interested in early B-52s?
I was one of the first buyers, straight from the factory, of the Early G. 
I'm not an "obsessive" modeller but especially after seeing the built of Paul Boyer on these pages, I say that the model looks, to me, very nice! I really like it! It has very elegant lines! The flaps are beautiful! Well done! With all respect, It is 1000 times better than Amt/Italeri model (Sorry to all the AMT/Italery sustainers). You can clearly see the effort Modelcollect did in listening to modellers and correcting the nose etc... 

However, there is at least one thing , very visible, that I think it needs correction. This is the "Cockpit top front window". This is represented closed, like in the recent releases but on all A to F and early G-H models it was a window. Even in the "- G Linebacker II Vietnam" this was still a window so this item is important even for the future Modelcollect releases. I'm uploading a photo I sent to Modelcollect. Unfortunately I had no reply from them (Strange, because  normally they are very prompt and helpful).

Even only this small correction would make, to me, a perfect Early B-52. 

Everyone and especially Modelcollect are welcome to comment, thank you for the space!

EARLY B-52H:

Photo 1A.jpg

On 4/28/2019 at 8:29 PM, Dutch said:

Wow! Thanks for posting this photo. The pylon shapes are completely different. The tanks appear to be roughly the same size, though the BM looks to be narrower and more cylindrical.  I  believe that the real McCoy is more cylindrical in shape ala the DB & BM castings.  The pylons will have to be adjusted for accuracy.  I have been browsing the web for B-52G/H winttip tank photos and have come across several for comparison purposes.  This webpage is of particular interest. https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/boeing-b-52h-stratofortress/

001. B-52H 61-0023 circa 10 Jan 1964.

001.JPG

002. B-52G 58-0184 416th BW, Griffiss AFB, 1990?

002.JPG

Dutch -

I think there are some shadows and lens distortion in the photos Markus_H_P posted showing the Buffmaster/Golden Dragon tanks compared to the AMT/Italeri.  I've compared both in person and can confirm the BM/GD parts are a direct copy of AMT's kit plastic, including the spurious circumferential panel lines at various points along the length of the tank.  Both options plus the DB are pictured here:

https://ibb.co/P4CmsLG

2019-05-09-11-54-41.jpg

Note all 3 examples are aligned on the vertical 3-line at the pylon leading edge, and bottom edge of the tank parallel to the horizontal grid (disregard the upper tank from the GD/BM set, it's only included because the two are molded together).  Also note the DB pylon is not shown accurately since the tank is molded in a single piece and the pylon is "rolled over" roughly 30 degrees away from the camera.

Having gone over my references, the AMT tanks seem pretty close to profile drawings in Famous Airplanes of the World #31, but I'm not convinced those drawings are accurate for the pylon or the tank.  Based on photos I'm inclined to believe DB's larger tanks (longer + lgreater diameter) are correct, but the AMT pylon depth may be closer to the real thing.  Unfortunately I don't have any late-model BUFFs nearby to check shapes or dimensions in person.

On a related note concerning aftermarket opportunities, if anyone wanted to do a B-52B/RB-52B from the Monogram kit there's a need for the 1000 gallon tanks unique to that model.  Shape is generally similar to the G/H 700 gallon units, but obviously larger (just nowhere near the 3000 gallon monsters used on the C through F variants).

10 minutes ago, Tracy White said:

The Museum of Flight in Seattle has a B-52G that I can probably get my camera close to on a monopod to get to the same height as the tanks and pylons. I'll try and shoot that tomorrow afternoon if it would be a help..

Thanks for the offer!  At this point photos are helpful but what we really need is some sort of confirmed measurements.  Don't suppose the museum would let you bring in a stepladder and a tape measure?