Nigel & Ed,

I had a photo similar to Ed's that did not post, for some reason.  It was right at the limit of the file size 101.3kb, but now, when I try to edit my post, I have no option to upload a photo or delete a photo. Hmm... Curiouser and curiouser!

Anyway,  the Airwaves tank does appear to be rather long: 4 & 1/4 inches scales to 25ft, 6in LOA. However,  the Airwaves pylon with different sweep angles for LE and TE does look more accurate.

My thoughts. 

Dutch

17 hours ago, Dutch said:

Nigel & Ed,

I had a photo similar to Ed's that did not post, for some reason.  It was right at the limit of the file size 101.3kb, but now, when I try to edit my post, I have no option to upload a photo or delete a photo. Hmm... Curiouser and curiouser!

Anyway,  the Airwaves tank does appear to be rather long: 4 & 1/4 inches scales to 25ft, 6in LOA. However,  the Airwaves pylon with different sweep angles for LE and TE does look more accurate.

My thoughts. 

Dutch

Thanks Dutch.. interesting.....

I have been busy trying to reshape/resize the nose features on the MC kit. Please tell me what you think guys.. positive or negative.

IMG_6917.JPG

Edited by Nigelr32

Nigel,

Your EVS(s) look a little large-ish and too fat.   The actual lens mounts are more cylindrical (vertically), so somehwere between yours and MC, as they rotate into position and back when not in use.  Let me get my close-up photos out and look a little closer.

R/ Dutch

Thanks Dutch,

You are correct.. I am making these parts based on all the photos I have of a ton of G and H models. All the drawings I can source are nothing like the real thing, so I have had to resort to pictures.

Since I took this picture and posted it i have slimmed them down and also made the turning part sit a little deeper. i would also add, the angle/perspective of the pic is not helping.

Nige

Thanks for the feed back guys.. on the subject of tanks.. yes, I am going to make them and they will have handed pylons, which will fit directly into the MC wing.

I'm still playing with the EVS's and have made the moving part as a separate to give the proper separate appearance. What do you think? Obviously this is not the finished article, but I would like to get a feeling for what you guys think of the shape before I spend hours perfecting the fit and finish.

IMG_6927.JPG

Edited by Nigelr32

So, after many hours measuring pics, scaling them and trying to depict what the tank sizes should be I have finally decided the tank diameter is gonna be 12.5mm along its straight portion. I believe AMT, MC and CE got the overall shape wrong. In my opinion is a cylinder with conical (with a Radius) ends. The AMT and CE look more like a Mk82 bomb in my opinion.

Here's the AMT, MC machined to correct diameter and stock MC all laid out. Notice i also played with the pylon.

Now I need to get the end profiles correct then shorten it.

IMG_6928.JPG

Edited by Nigelr32
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Nigel, before you go crazy on the MC tanks, reread the discussion on pages 26 & 27 of this thread.  After looking at the tanks, I still think the DB/Airwaves tanks are the best. R/ Dutch 

Thanks for the heads up Dutch. Right now, Thursday, I have finished the end forms and am about to start on the overall length reduction. I am also working on the Pylon. It looks to me like DB may have a slightly steep angle on their back end?? There is certainly a difference front to back, but not that much IMHO??

What do you think of the EVS now?

Nige

On 9/12/2019 at 3:25 PM, Dutch said:

Nigel, before you go crazy on the MC tanks, reread the discussion on pages 26 & 27 of this thread.  After looking at the tanks, I still think the DB/Airwaves tanks are the best. R/ Dutch 

How does that look. AMT top, modifies MC below.

IMG_6936.JPG

8 minutes ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Looks good, my second kit is coming today ,can’t wait for your updates to become available

Thanks for the compliment. 

I NEED people to pull me to pieces over my masters before I finish them and make moulds. 

We can only go on what looks right, and the mc kit certainly doesn’t look right on the EVS and tanks. But how do mine look?? I need your help guys. 

Edited by Nigelr32
17 hours ago, Tracy White said:

I suspect people are going to need more photos and at different angles, etc., to givve you good feedback.

Thanks Tracy.. I think I'll put a video up onm my You Tube channel?

For now, heres two more pics.. would you guys like separate tanks and pylons or as one piece?

IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

Edited by Nigelr32
52 minutes ago, Nigelr32 said:

Thanks Tracy.. I think I'll put a video up onm my You Tube channel?

For now, heres two more pics.. would you guys like separate tanks and pylons or as one piece?

IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

Nigel, thank you for you  efforts!!!

32 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Nigel, thank you for you  efforts!!!

You're welcome. 

I have just emailed eduard and suggested a set of vortex generators with drilling jigs and a set of wing spoilers.

If they refuse, I have another channel for PE parts.

Regards

Nige

On 9/13/2019 at 3:07 PM, Nigelr32 said:

Thanks for the compliment. 

I NEED people to pull me to pieces over my masters before I finish them and make moulds. 

We can only go on what looks right, and the mc kit certainly doesn’t look right on the EVS and tanks. But how do mine look?? I need your help guys. 

Nigel - 

I have a pretty good reference library on the BUFF and compared your master to the best  photos I could find of the genuine article.  Until someone can take a tape measure to the 1:1 tanks the size will remain somewhat conjectural, but I think you're really close on the overall shape.  The constant-profile central section looks perfect relative to the pylon leading and trailing edges. The only suggestion I can make is about the nose shape.  It looks like your master may have one or two subtle "break points" in the nose where it transitions from a cylinder to a truncated cone, then to a smaller rounded cone with a hemispherical cap.  On the real thing the nose has an elliptical profile (ogive) with a smooth transition - i.e. the profile curve "flattens out" so gradually that you don't see any obvious transition point.  Frankly this may simply be a function of the angle and/or resolution of the photos, but since you're trying to get this "perfect" I wanted to share the input.

Unfortunately my references are hardcopy and I don't have scanner access at the moment, but if you need photos of what I'm describing let me know and I'll find some way to get them to you.  If you happen to have access to a copy of B-52: Aging BUFFs Youthful Crews by Francillon & Lewis, page 57 and page 75 have the best illustrations I've found thus far.

Thanks for sharing this great effort!

6 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Nigel - 

I have a pretty good reference library on the BUFF and compared your master to the best  photos I could find of the genuine article.  Until someone can take a tape measure to the 1:1 tanks the size will remain somewhat conjectural, but I think you're really close on the overall shape.  The constant-profile central section looks perfect relative to the pylon leading and trailing edges. The only suggestion I can make is about the nose shape.  It looks like your master may have one or two subtle "break points" in the nose where it transitions from a cylinder to a truncated cone, then to a smaller rounded cone with a hemispherical cap.  On the real thing the nose has an elliptical profile (ogive) with a smooth transition - i.e. the profile curve "flattens out" so gradually that you don't see any obvious transition point.  Frankly this may simply be a function of the angle and/or resolution of the photos, but since you're trying to get this "perfect" I wanted to share the input.

Unfortunately my references are hardcopy and I don't have scanner access at the moment, but if you need photos of what I'm describing let me know and I'll find some way to get them to you.  If you happen to have access to a copy of B-52: Aging BUFFs Youthful Crews by Francillon & Lewis, page 57 and page 75 have the best illustrations I've found thus far.

Thanks for sharing this great effort!

Thanks very much for your valuable input here.

I had in fact noticed what you were talking about with regard to the nose and have now given it a thick coat of Mr Surfacer and it will go back up in the lathe today with a hard sanding stick to straighten out those blends. 

As for reference, i am actually using the aforementioned book, but am mainly using page 72 as it is pretty much square on. i also have the Danny Coreman book which is invaluable.

Thanks again for your comments.

So guys, what do you think of this as a master pre-primer? 

I added weld lines which can be removed if desired as they are raised. They are pretty obvious in some of my shots.

Stock AMT tank is behind, see what i mean when i said the tank is more like a Mk82 bomb than the real thing.

IMG_6940.JPG