@Paul Boyer (Can't believe i'm communicating with THE Paul Boyer...) The seats from the Nav compartment can be utilized up top as they have the correct headrest, but they lack the arm rests and parachute pack/survival kit. This may be moot as extremely little appears to be visible through the windows.

Anybody know the size of the star/bar for wings and fuselage, and USAF titles for wings for SIOP camouflage?

Cheers

Harald

12 hours ago, Winnie said:

@Paul Boyer (Can't believe i'm communicating with THE Paul Boyer...) The seats from the Nav compartment can be utilized up top as they have the correct headrest, but they lack the arm rests and parachute pack/survival kit. This may be moot as extremely little appears to be visible through the windows.

Anybody know the size of the star/bar for wings and fuselage, and USAF titles for wings for SIOP camouflage?

Cheers

Harald

I don’t know the exact size but Caracal’s B-52 sheet 72077 has a SIOP scheme. His research is top notch so they should be the correct size.

Thanks both. I'm conflicted whether to get a G with update, or an H, either way the Caracal SIOP scheme decals seem the only way to go. I can just mix and match serials to make it work, no biggie. Regardless, I'd like the ALCM set up, or perhaps SRAM and that limits me to a G? Anyway, still in dreamstage.

Cheers

Harald!

Hi all,

Great thread, a wealth of information. I'm following this to help me understand the evolution of the H model over the years. I've bought the HPH B-52H and am planning an early SAC version (chrome dome era) armed with Hound Dogs.

Can anyone advise if the pylons for the Hound Dog were the same as the ALCM pylons or for conventional steel bombs or neither.

Thanks,

I will look up the measurements this evening and post them here - I went through a lot of photos and documentation, so I am pretty sure I got them correct. As for other -G and -H options,  stay tuned - there will be a new 1/72 sheet from Caracal soon.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:14 PM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Does anyone know if 1/72 SRAMS are available? I would like to do a pre ALCM jet some day. Also what pylon was used for the SRAMS to loaded on?

72nd SRAMs are hard to find.
SRAMs were mounted to a rotary launcher or similar style to the ALCM launcher called an SRAM launcher, I dont know its USAF designation. it was modelled in the 48th scale Revell/Monogram B-1B. You could mix SRAMs and B-61s

4 hours ago, serendip said:

Hi all,

Great thread, a wealth of information. I'm following this to help me understand the evolution of the H model over the years. I've bought the HPH B-52H and am planning an early SAC version (chrome dome era) armed with Hound Dogs.

Can anyone advise if the pylons for the Hound Dog were the same as the ALCM pylons or for conventional steel bombs or neither.

Thanks,

Hound dogs were mounted to a pylon called the Hound dog pylon, it is not the same as the ALCM pylon. Conventional weapons are usually mounted the the stub pylon

Edited by ElectroSoldier

The Hound Dog pylons were repurposed with adapter beams & MERs for conventional weapons and were retired in the late 90s/early 2000s. Based on photos, I believe the conventional Hound Dog pylon was limited to unguided bombs that were 750 lb class or less. An advantage of the current stub pylon configured with 9 ejector racks is that it can carry up to 5000 lb class weapons such as GBU-28, as well as guided weapons requiring umbilicals for the data bus. 

Jonah

The Hound dog pylon with the HSAB and MERs was limited by use and lug spacings not the M117 750lb class bombs.
The same HSAB can still mount stores with the same lug spacings or larger like the Mk84 series but they are mounted directly to the HSAB not to a MER on the HSAB lower mounting points.

It was the same for the AGM-84s. they were parent mounted to the HSAB not on a MER. GBU-10s are parent mounted too but to the Stub pylon not the Hound dog pylonn these days as as you said the Hound dog pylon was retired.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

The Hound dog pylon with the HSAB and MERs was limited by use and lug spacings not the M117 750lb class bombs.
The same HSAB can still mount stores with the same lug spacings or larger like the Mk84 series but they are mounted directly to the HSAB not to a MER on the HSAB lower mounting points.

It was the same for the AGM-84s. they were parent mounted to the HSAB not on a MER. GBU-10s are parent mounted too but to the Stub pylon not the Hound dog pylonn these days as as you said the Hound dog pylon was retired.

Right, the MERs could only accommodate 14 inch lug spacing, which effectively limited them to Mk82, M117, and some CBUs I believe; while the MAU-12 racks mounted to the HSAB can take weapons with either 14 or 30 inch spacing. 
Thanks for clarifying that, good point. 
Jonah

Edited by Gator52
14 hours ago, KursadA said:

I will look up the measurements this evening and post them here - I went through a lot of photos and documentation, so I am pretty sure I got them correct. As for other -G and -H options,  stay tuned - there will be a new 1/72 sheet from Caracal soon.

Oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly, what a day

On 1/22/2020 at 11:58 AM, Gator52 said:

Right, the MERs could only accommodate 14 inch lug spacing, which effectively limited them to Mk82, M117, and some CBUs I believe; while the MAU-12 racks mounted to the HSAB can take weapons with either 14 or 30 inch spacing. 
Thanks for clarifying that, good point. 
Jonah

I think the guidance pod the the Popeye EOGB was also mounted to the HSAB...
Lower rear station if I remember correctly.

So since my Birthday is fast approaching and my wife took pity on me as I will be away at work well past that date, I picked up the EARLY G model and promptly ordered the Modelcollect G/H upgrade and Caracal 72077. 

From the box i can say this: the Flaps now have tracks, from scratch, and the early kit has both early and late tails as well as 3 styles of gun, 2 different quad 20's and an M-61. The kit also has the instructor pilot seat, but unfortunately still has the wrong ejection seats, but as I mentioned earlier, you can use the two seats from downstairs up front, as they look lots closer.

The kit comes with 8 B28FI bombs, but I am thinking of loading full wing pylons with ALCM, full bomb bay with B28FI's and SIOP 3 green camo. load may be fictitious, but it is hard to get information on stuff that may still be classified information, so I'll run with it. this gives a loadout weight of 60.000 lbs, so fuel will be restricted to keep below the max takeoff weight of 488.000lbs... 80.000 lbs of fuel will have to be tanked at the positive control point I suppose... ( I did some math, and at the fuel load it would still have an endurance of 10+ hours, so this puppy aint no slouch...)

Anyway, Now I'll need to figure out how to do a paint mask for it...

Cheers

Harald

Edited by Winnie
math
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, serendip said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know of references where I can find the external differences between late and early H variants.

Thanks all,

I can second @Gator52's suggestion of the Datagraph, but note that since the H-models have now been in service some 60(!!!) years, there are actually a few different phases of service that could be called "early" or "late."  For the most part the major airframe changes correspond to three basic eras:

Service Entry :

Features of the H include:

- "short" vertical tail (same as G)

- Extended nose radome (same as G)

- Unmanned tail

- TF-33 turbofan engines

- M61 Vulcan tail cannon (vs 4x .50 cal turret common to previous variants)

Avionics Upgrades (circa 1972 - 1978):

- Electro-optical Viewing System (EVS) added - pair of bulged "chin" fairings below nose

- Phase VI ECM upgrades - various "bulged" antennae throughout airframe, including nose and tail

- Tail extension - 40" constant section plug added between aft fuselage and gun turret (part of Phase VI ECM)

Post-SAC era (circa 1992 - present):

- M61 tail cannon removed ("Bobbitized"), replaced with flat plates with circular perforations ("cheese grater") to equalize pressure

- New lateral "bulged" antennae at fuselage sides, roughly above aft wjeel wells

The Datagraph doesn't cover the post-SAC mods as it was published in 1990.

54 minutes ago, serendip said:

Thanks both for the valuable feedback. I'll certainly buy the Aerofax book.

@Quixote74, thanks for listing the above - is that from the Aerofax book or other sources?

Marc.

Marc, which era are you specifically interested in?

Jonah

Jonah,

Thanks for asking - Early SAC birds in NMF is what I'm looking for (see link below).

B-52H Stratofortress, s/n 60-0008 19th BW Dear Rocky not to win is a very Bad Thing

I have the HPH B-52H in 1/48th scale and am planning to backdate to 'Sixties era operations with Hounddog missles.

Regards,

Marc.