7 hours ago, serendip said:

Thanks both for the valuable feedback. I'll certainly buy the Aerofax book.

@Quixote74, thanks for listing the above - is that from the Aerofax book or other sources?

Marc.

The Aerofax book covers most of that info (with obvious exception of the post-1990 updates). I skimmed that and a couple of other references in my library to compile that list and verify approximate dates.  Probably in part because of its unprecdented longevity, there isn't a single comprehensive "modeler's bible" on the the B-52, but in addition to the Aerofax book I can also recommend the DACO walkaround book (which mainly covers the post-SAC era aircraft):

DACO Uncovering the B-52H

If the HPH kit represents a “later” configuration, one relatively significant modification for backdating the airframe will be the removal of the 40” extension to the aft fuselage behind the rudder; otherwise it’s mostly a matter of removing and/or omitting the various antenna/sensor housings that were added throughout the B-52H’s career. 

Looking forward to watching your project!

Jonah

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently working on a G conversion now:

I decided to order the ModelCollect kit anyway. I received my "Early" B-52G kit yesterday. Starting to see some issues using this kit to represent an early B-52G.

A couple of this immediately jump out:

The fairing on top of the fuselage. That easily removed.

The straps running down the sides of the fuselage. Once again, easily removed.

The one thing that does bother me is that there are no Hound Dogs in the kit. G's, especially on alert, were loaded with Hound Dogs. It's cool that the bombs are there, just disappointed in no Hound Dogs or the correct pylons..

Edited by SteveV22FE
3 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Thanks Steve, that's helpful.  I don't currently have plans to build the early G, but am interested in a later G or H project (1980s) with the gravity nukes, so will file this away for that!

Jonah

No problem. Glad I could help out.

• 2 months later...

How is the MC shape incorrect? I couldn't tell the difference? @Dutch

Also another question When did the G models receive the 40' plug in the aft section? I Go the Early G and it comes complete with 2 different tails and I don't believe either is the "D" tail they had earlier.

My goal is to either do a SIOP G with ALCM and 4 B28FI in the belly with EVS, but I MAU end up trying to model HOBO 28 that crashed near Thule, that ended Chrome Dome. I have one picture that shows it in the SIOP Camo, nevermind. it's in Chrome Dome Silver and white... but I don't know if it had the extended tail or not (oops it didn't).

That changes my plan, next up is One of the G's that did Vietnam duty but also SIOP Camo.

Cheers for your help

Edited by Winnie
corrected info
19 hours ago, Winnie said:

How is the MC shape incorrect? I couldn't tell the difference? @Dutch

Also another question When did the G models receive the 40' plug in the aft section? I Go the Early G and it comes complete with 2 different tails and I don't believe either is the "D" tail they had earlier.

My goal is to either do a SIOP G with ALCM and 4 B28FI in the belly with EVS, but I MAU end up trying to model HOBO 28 that crashed near Thule, that ended Chrome Dome. I have one picture that shows it in the SIOP Camo, nevermind. it's in Chrome Dome Silver and white... but I don't know if it had the extended tail or not (oops it didn't).

That changes my plan, next up is One of the G's that did Vietnam duty but also SIOP Camo.

Cheers for your help

The 40-inch constant-section tail plug was added as part of the "Phase VI" ECM upgrades.  These refits started in the mid-70s, after the addition of the EVS blisters on the chin.  I believe the "Early G" kit has no EVS, so it would not have the plug.  The G's that flew Vietnam missions were in this configuration (i.e. no plug, no EVS or Phase VI antennae).

An ALCM-carrying G would be a much later version, with EVS and the full Phase VI package, plus the ALCM strakelets.  SiOP camo is still a possibility for that era, but by then a significant portion of the G fleet wore the Strategic scheme (as seen on virtually all Desert Storm participants).  A few did wear the transitional "late SIOP" scheme with FS36081 over the nose and upper camo extended to the lower fuselage from about the forward gear bay to the nose.  "El Lobo II," one of the "Secret Squirrel" ALCM-C carriers wore the late-SIOP scheme (as now on display at the Armament Museum at Eglin).

Thanks!

Yes I did find some examples of the SIOP Camo on early G's so that will have to be the answer. the only thing that will be difficult for an early G SIOP is trying to find 2 Hound dog with pylons... AGM-28's were used as I have seen pictures of that. 

There were SIOP Camo G models used in Vietnam as seen in the "Crewdogs" book I'm currently reading, so that is a help. 

Only negative is I REALLY wanted the ALCM and EVS mods, but Modelcollect seem to not sell the nose upgrade anymore, and even though I ordered in January, I have seen nothing, and heard less... so I may have to end up buying a second kit, or just build an H SIOP as well... But where to put them...

I am also ordering the HpH Cockpit in 32nd... as a side piece of art.

Cheers

Harald

Hi everyone.. me again.

If you follow my channel on You Tube you'll see I'm back at doing a few bits and pieces to the MC B-52. I am now making parts to improve the engines on the G kit..... currently awaiting a 27/64 reamer in the post to open out the engine internals to accept my new jet pipes.. I'm doing these mods in conjunction with the Eduard update set.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to offer a free pair of wing tanks to anyone who has built/is building the Modelcollect B-52. My resin tanks are made to fit the locations for the stock kit parts, but I need to see how they look on a built model, sitting on its undercarriage. so... if you can send me or post pics of at least one of my tanks fitted to your Modelcollect model, I will happily send you a pair for free. 

Nigels Modelling Bench on You Tube.

31 minutes ago, Paul Boyer said:

Nigel, I'd like to add a set of your tanks to my already-built B-52H. I'm not sure of your message, though. You need a picture of one of your tanks on a model before you can send the tanks?

Paul🤔

That's great Paul, thanks for the offer.

Did you see my tanks on You Tube?

PM me your address and I'll get a pair off to you as soon as..

It would be nice to see a "before and after" shot of your model with the stock tanks and then with my tanks fitted once you have them. If they're not right, I will correct them and resend. 

Nige

Edited by Nigelr32
7 hours ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Nigel I hope you still might do a antennae update set for the kit.

Well, I'm trying to get hold of an HpH 1/48 Buff, if they would respond to my emails... If I do I guess that will give me an idea of what is needed?

Nige

Edited by Nigelr32

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/click2detail?page[number]=1&page[limit]=48&page[order]=asc
I emailed this group and asked about doing some updates. Antennae set, HSAB’s, LITNING pod and pylon, AGM-69’s and pylon. No response yet. Maybe some of you guys can also drop them a message asking for updates as well.

Not sure if this has been shared yet, but I have discovered, through the help of a very knowledgeable BUFF enthusiast, that the nose radome prior to the Phase IV modification is shorter.

44-A2-C8-E3-171-F-4128-A336-7-F0935-CB90

Look at the number at the nose of the airplane.  And note that station "zero" is well in front of the plane.  The difference is 12.5".  So a Phase VI jet has a nose 12.5" longer than an early G model.  

542-C0-CBF-54-E9-4-B00-9087-D8-C820-DD10

I’m learning quickly that there are NO accurate early G models. The nose section of the “Early” AMT kit is nothing more than a late G with the additional radomes removed. I think ModelCollect did the same thing with their Early G kit as well. When I put the two side by side, the shape is exactly the same. So, both kits are inaccurate.

Also note:  the back end of the nose radome on early planes is at station 170.60.  It was later moved forward to 150.70...

When they put on the EVS system (TV and infrared camera under the nose) they removed the aft end of the radome and put aluminum structure there to hold up the EVS turrets.  The bulkhead, radar, and the struts that hold open the radome when maintenance is done didn’t need to be modified. 

ModelCollect also botched the underside of the forward fuselage/cockpit area by forgetting to add the downward escape hatches.

Edited by SteveV22FE

I have just measured the nose on my early G with B28 bombs and my later G kit with updated nose.

Here are my findings.... the nose cone on the early G kit and the later G "incorrect" nose are the correct length for a later G/H with EVS, but too rounded in plan view. the later G and H nose as made by MC are too long and pointy. It's also noteworthy that the first "incorrect" nose and later "corrected" nose has no panel lines for the removable panels and nose cone, the early G nose has scribed detail to depict these panels. The incorrect nose originally released with the later G kit is the same outer profile as the early G nose.

So.. it looks like the early nose is the right length for a late aircraft after all, but it is too rounded in plan view.. so MC made a longer pointier nose which in my opinion is the wrong shape.

I will make a corrected nose for the early G if there is enough interest?

Edited by Nigelr32