Just for public interest's sake, I just got an email back from Modelcollect after inquiring 3 times about the status of the upgrade set. It turns out it is being mass produced again, and sent to vendors. I inquired about my specific order, but have yet to get a reply back with specifics though.

Cheers

H.

I am having a somewhat hard time with the Modelcollect B-52H. There are too many things on the model that are just incorrect.

I am new to this forum so maybe it has already been answered, but are MC planning on releasing a correction for thr B-52H?

24 minutes ago, OSRS72 said:

I am having a somewhat hard time with the Modelcollect B-52H. There are too many things on the model that are just incorrect.

I am new to this forum so maybe it has already been answered, but are MC planning on releasing a correction for thr B-52H?

AFAIK there is no intention to correct anything on the H model? 

I have made new wing tanks and I am making a new resin noses for the early and late G/H models.

In my opinion the wing root is too blunt/fat nose on, there is no mech for the AOA adjustment on the tailplanes, no vortex generators on underside of tailplanes,  fin and tailplane tips are too rounded, rear undercarriage bay is incorrect, H engines are out of shape,.......

There is a considerably long list of things that are awry on the Modelcollect BUFFs. Nigel has found quite a bunch, I have found others, and builders will find many along the way. I reviewed the B-52H kit in FineScale Modeler, and wrote an additional article on making some improvements for the FineScale book, "Modeling Aircraft." Real BUFF experts will probably find many more problems with details and shapes.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested I’ve just finished the masters for a corrected no3 and 4 undercarriage bay roof and missing rear bulkhead for the MC kits. I’ve kept it simple in line with the kit moulding.. anyone interested in seeing the parts? 

Nigel, I am interested in these items for the MC kit as well. Are you considering selling them as individual sets, or might you put together a complete update kit?

As for MC, I also received an email from them several days ago and they indicate that the B-52G replacement parts are being restocked this month and, Iquote, "I think next month we can ship."  

Mark

7 hours ago, MarkN said:

Nigel, I am interested in these items for the MC kit as well. Are you considering selling them as individual sets, or might you put together a complete update kit?

As for MC, I also received an email from them several days ago and they indicate that the B-52G replacement parts are being restocked this month and, Iquote, "I think next month we can ship."  

Mark

Yeah that was the story I got from them last month on Facebook too.

I received my test sample from Nigel to validate the "Early" nose radome correction for the ModelCollect "Early" G and H kits.

Overall, the resin is very smooth and very well cast with no visible air bubbles on the casting. Removal of resin used to cast the part was very minimal and was easily removed by scoring with an X-Acto on both side and it cleanly snapped off the piece. The piece feels very solid and includes a molded in support for the flight deck. The part also has the indentations or chines that are found on B-52 nose radomes, but manufacturers fail to include. The NACA intake is also present. 

117827347-1625141307661198-7868801251720
117765353-1625141250994537-1039150027892
117893121-1625141237661205-5240678917332

Installing the piece is very straight forward. I was able to use the existing panel lines, on the "Early" kit as a guide to remove the kit radome and fit the corrected piece. I found it easier to install the new radome if I assembled the forward fuselage prior to fitting. The assembled flight deck will easily slide in with the forward fuselage assembled.

117787954-1625141300994532-9172930679086

Be aware of two things:

1. There will be a small step on the underside where the radome meets the fuselage. The fuselage side is a bit taller than the radome. This will be normal. Fair the fuselage to match the radome. This will produce the correct contour from the radome going aft down the length of the fuselage. 

2. Due to the way ModelCollect produced their "Early" kit, there will be a small gap between the radome and the kit where the windscreen installs. I filled the gap with a piece of styrene.

IMG-1018.jpg
IMG-1019.jpg
IMG-1020.jpg

Final thoughts. This part is a winner in my book. I really had no intention of building this kit just because of the nose radome being incorrect. Now, it's in the queue to be built after my Monogram "D" model. The overall final look of the model just looks right. An experienced modeler should have no problem installing this aftermarket piece.

I am grateful that Nigel trusted me to test and validate this piece. If you're tempted to build this kit, I recommend that you get this radome.+

Thanks for the review Steve. Glad to see it went OK.

I have a couple of suggestions to those who want to fit one.. I will make a video on my channel regarding this.. 

Be aware.. the moulded  vertical line on the kit is too far back in my opinion.Make the cut forward of this line and sand to fit.

The nose does not "support" the flight deck, you need to cut away some of the plastic flight deck to fit.. again, I will cover this in a video on my channel.

So let me preface this by saying I have the highest appreciation for the work @Nigelr32 has been putting in on this (and @SteveV22FE's work to test the correction set as well). That being said, looking at the photos Steve posted I can't help but feel something is still "off" from the early G/H profile.  For comparison:

2020-08-15-11-17-48-1.png

I'm not able to do a direct scaled overlay at this time, but it seems like the shape of Nigel's new nose is correct, but something about the cockpit/windscreen is off relative to the nose.  It appears that either the angle of the foward windscreen is too shallow (should be more vertical), or possibly that the entire windscreen/cockpit is slightly too far forward - or some subtle combination of the two?  In any case, the change in slope that happens just below the windscreen is a key feature distinguishing the early G/H nose from the A-F style "blunt" nose, and that seems to be too subtle in Steve's test build (IMHO).

Again, nothing but praise and gratitude for all the effort shown here, just trying to make sure the end result is as accurate as possible.

4 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

So let me preface this by saying I have the highest appreciation for the work @Nigelr32 has been putting in on this (and @SteveV22FE's work to test the correction set as well). That being said, looking at the photos Steve posted I can't help but feel something is still "off" from the early G/H profile.  For comparison:

2020-08-15-11-17-48-1.png

I'm not able to do a direct scaled overlay at this time, but it seems like the shape of Nigel's new nose is correct, but something about the cockpit/windscreen is off relative to the nose.  It appears that either the angle of the foward windscreen is too shallow (should be more vertical), or possibly that the entire windscreen/cockpit is slightly too far forward - or some subtle combination of the two?  In any case, the change in slope that happens just below the windscreen is a key feature distinguishing the early G/H nose from the A-F style "blunt" nose, and that seems to be too subtle in Steve's test build (IMHO).

Again, nothing but praise and gratitude for all the effort shown here, just trying to make sure the end result is as accurate as possible.

@Quixote74 I would have appreciated a PM or email before you posted this....... thanks... looks like MC got the screen angle spot on.

I think the errors you are seeing is the whole issue with the B-52 nose. I find that the slightest change in perspective makes a massive difference to the appearance.

Same nose.. same windscreen... same kit.. different angle to match the photo attached above.

IMG_8987.JPG.0fa92c6c67eaa8f344ee775de9bbb57b.JPG

I also think Steve may have cut his nose a little too far back.. note the plastic between my screen and nose compared to Steve's?? This could also explain the reason he had a step to deal with??

Edited by Nigelr32
13 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

@Quixote74 I would have appreciated a PM or email before you posted this....... thanks... looks like MC got the screen angle spot on.

I think the errors you are seeing is the whole issue with the B-52 nose. I find that the slightest change in perspective makes a massive difference to the appearance.

Same nose.. same windscreen... same kit.. different angle to match the photo attached above.

I also think Steve may have cut his nose a little too far back.. note the plastic between my screen and nose compared to Steve's?? This could also explain the reason he had a step to deal with??

Nige,

That looks a lot better.

40 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Maybe that is why I always thought they were the same shape.

Could well be?????

If you look at some pics on Google of early D-E-F-G-H Buffs you could be convinced they are the same.. then look at late G/H Buffs and you are right to ask yourself.. "Did they change the nose"??

On 8/15/2020 at 12:58 PM, Nigelr32 said:

As I stated in my last post, didn't want to take anything away from your efforts Nigel - apologies if my post gave any offense.

In any case, your follow-up gives me even more confidence that you've gotten the shape right with your correction part. I've seen the same phenomenon you have, where a seemingly minor change in perspective can significantly affect the appearance of the BUFF's nose contours - and I trust the work you've put in on this makes you a subject matter expert ☺

On 8/15/2020 at 11:58 AM, Nigelr32 said:

Taking a quick re-measurement, I did, in fact, cut 1mm too far back. Not sure why I did that, knowing that the cut should have been 11 from the panel line at the windscreen.

The mistake is on me.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:42 PM, Nigelr32 said:

If anyone is interested I’ve just finished the masters for a corrected no3 and 4 undercarriage bay roof and missing rear bulkhead for the MC kits. I’ve kept it simple in line with the kit moulding.. anyone interested in seeing the parts? 

Absolutely,  yes! Thank you Nigel! K/r. Dutch