ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
gb_madcat_sl

Modelcollect B-52H

7 hours ago, serendip said:

Thanks both for the valuable feedback. I'll certainly buy the Aerofax book.

@Quixote74, thanks for listing the above - is that from the Aerofax book or other sources?

Marc.

The Aerofax book covers most of that info (with obvious exception of the post-1990 updates). I skimmed that and a couple of other references in my library to compile that list and verify approximate dates.  Probably in part because of its unprecdented longevity, there isn't a single comprehensive "modeler's bible" on the the B-52, but in addition to the Aerofax book I can also recommend the DACO walkaround book (which mainly covers the post-SAC era aircraft):

DACO Uncovering the B-52H

Thanks all,

I'll be ordering the Aerofax publication. I've bought a bunch of books already but most focus on the H in later service.

Hopefully this one will cover the SAC era in more detail.

Marc.

If the HPH kit represents a “later” configuration, one relatively significant modification for backdating the airframe will be the removal of the 40” extension to the aft fuselage behind the rudder; otherwise it’s mostly a matter of removing and/or omitting the various antenna/sensor housings that were added throughout the B-52H’s career. 

Looking forward to watching your project!

Jonah

Thanks Jonah,

I'm aware of the plug and fortunatly it's a relatively easy shape, it's which bulges, antennae and fairings etc. to remove (or add) that's a little more challenging.

Marc.

I doubt you will get a direct answer to that one here 🙂

I dont have the kit itself so I dont know what ariels domes panels etc it does have so i dont know what to tell you to leave off or add on to it to make it an early version.

Posted (edited)

I'm currently working on a G conversion now:

I decided to order the ModelCollect kit anyway. I received my "Early" B-52G kit yesterday. Starting to see some issues using this kit to represent an early B-52G.

A couple of this immediately jump out:

The fairing on top of the fuselage. That easily removed.

The straps running down the sides of the fuselage. Once again, easily removed.

The one thing that does bother me is that there are no Hound Dogs in the kit. G's, especially on alert, were loaded with Hound Dogs. It's cool that the bombs are there, just disappointed in no Hound Dogs or the correct pylons..

Edited by SteveV22FE

Steve, how do the racks look for the bombs in the early G kit?

Jonah

18 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Steve, how do the racks look for the bombs in the early G kit?

Jonah

Here you go:

2-C6-B08-C6-72-E9-4-F3-B-A459-5-CB22260-

2-F1127-C4-DEEB-47-DF-AFE0-0-D39-A903-D7

16-D884-BC-B651-4-CCE-BADD-4-C2-B0-A74-C

Thanks Steve, that's helpful.  I don't currently have plans to build the early G, but am interested in a later G or H project (1980s) with the gravity nukes, so will file this away for that!

Jonah

3 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Thanks Steve, that's helpful.  I don't currently have plans to build the early G, but am interested in a later G or H project (1980s) with the gravity nukes, so will file this away for that!

Jonah

No problem. Glad I could help out.