1 minute ago, SteveV22FE said:

I’d be interested...in two of them.

To fit which kit?

It's worth asking if you would be happy to judge where the cut line should be. I think the best kit to use would be the early G kit if you are going Modelcollect.

It would be nice for AMT and MC. I say that because people still build the AMT/Italeri kit. I see a few of them being build on the BUFF Model Builders page over on Facebook.

I’m knee deep in a Monogram/AMT conversion, I would like to have a new nose for it and the MC kit.

5 minutes ago, SteveV22FE said:

It would be nice for AMT and MC. I say that because people still build the AMT/Italeri kit. I see a few of them being build on the BUFF Model Builders page over on Facebook.

I’m knee deep in a Monogram/AMT conversion, I would like to have a new nose for it and the MC kit.

I have the AMT H kit. If I make an early nose to fit that, will it also fit the AMT early G kit?

I guess the question could be.. "Did AMT just remove the pods for the early kit"?

Here’s the AMT early nose section (grafted to the Monogram kit)

It appears they just filled in the holes

for the sensors and EVS pods. I can take the AMT H and the early G and they match perfectly.

E0E36E5F-6CF6-4C6E-84CD-47C3C3CA77F4.jpeg

Edited by SteveV22FE
33 minutes ago, SteveV22FE said:

Here’s the AMT early nose section (grafted to the Monogram kit)

It appears they just filled in the holes

for the sensors and EVS pods. I can take the AMT H and the early G and they match perfectly.

E0E36E5F-6CF6-4C6E-84CD-47C3C3CA77F4.jpeg

Oh dear me!! How pointy is that!! 

23 minutes ago, SteveV22FE said:

It’s pretty bad.

Have AMT added the little chine just forward and below the naca duct?

The early G MC kit doesn't have it, but all the others do. It's strange, the chines are there because the nose got deeper and fatter on the late aircraft yet the profile on the underside of the early and wrong lates are the same??

Edited by Nigelr32
5 minutes ago, Nigelr32 said:

The early G MC kit doesn't have it, but all the others do.

No, it’s smooth. The only thing I removed are the, what is supposed to be, pitot tubes.

1 minute ago, SteveV22FE said:

No, it’s smooth. The only thing I removed are the, what is supposed to be, pitot tubes.

Good.

So, what you are looking for is a short nose to fit the early kits, not to convert an H with all the bells and whistles, back to an early G.

5 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

Good.

So, what you are looking for is a short nose to fit the early kits, not to convert an H with all the bells and whistles, back to an early G.

Yes, early G model prior to Phase VI mods and bigger nose radome.

Edited by SteveV22FE
2 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

The early G MC kit doesn't have it, but all the others do. It's strange, the chines are there because the nose got deeper and fatter on the late aircraft yet the profile on the underside of the early and wrong lates are the same??

Apologies if I'm misreading, but just to clarify: there are chines (subtle, shallow groove shapes) in this location on both the early (as-built) and late (post EVS/Phase VI [not Phase IV]) versions of the G/H radomes.  It appears that the chine may be slightly longer on the post Phase VI nose, possibly corresponding to the added length of the forward radome?

None of the AMT kits have the chines (the nose shapes of the AMT/Italeri H and ALCM G are identical, and as noted their early G has the same contours minus the Phase VI bulges and "trenches" for EVS).

3 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Apologies if I'm misreading, but just to clarify: there are chines (subtle, shallow groove shapes) in this location on both the early (as-built) and late (post EVS/Phase VI [not Phase IV]) versions of the G/H radomes.  It appears that the chine may be slightly longer on the post Phase VI nose, possibly corresponding to the added length of the forward radome?

None of the AMT kits have the chines (the nose shapes of the AMT/Italeri H and ALCM G are identical, and as noted their early G has the same contours minus the Phase VI bulges and "trenches" for EVS).

There are no chines on early G and H radomes. The chines appeared after Phase VI mod.

Edited by SteveV22FE
18 minutes ago, SteveV22FE said:

There are no chines on early G and H radomes. The chines appeared after Phase IV mod.

I have several clear photos of early G & H noses that show otherwise (Some in the chrome dome scheme, so they clearly predate EVS much less Phase VI).

And again, it's Phase VI (so-named as the sixth major upgrade to the B-52 fleet), not IV.

Edited by Quixote74

Not the best repro (phone pics in lieu of proper scans), but just two of many examples from Ageing BUFFs, Youthful Crews (Francillon & Lewis, Osprey, 1988):

20200716-171916-1.jpg

B-52H 60-0049  449th BMW, Kincheloe AFB, Michigan

20200716-172029-1.jpg

B-52H 60-0031  410th BMW K.I. Sawyer AFB, Michigan

1 hour ago, Quixote74 said:

I have several clear photos of early G & H noses that show otherwise (Some in the chrome dome scheme, so they clearly predate EVS much less Phase VI).

And again, it's Phase VI (so-named as the sixth major upgrade to the B-52 fleet), not IV.

Oops...my Lysdexia kicked in.

1 hour ago, Quixote74 said:

Not the best repro (phone pics in lieu of proper scans), but just two of many examples from Ageing BUFFs, Youthful Crews (Francillon & Lewis, Osprey, 1988):

20200716-171916-1.jpg

B-52H 60-0049  449th BMW, Kincheloe AFB, Michigan

20200716-172029-1.jpg

B-52H 60-0031  410th BMW K.I. Sawyer AFB, Michigan

you can definitely see the indentions  in these early pics.

@Nigelr32 I'd Certainly go for a nose. I have the MC Early G kit, and think if you make the "CUT" at the radome line for the later version, with EVS etc either separate, or included that would be awesome. Cumbersome to do the entire nose section, not to say pricey and heavy!

Cheers

Harald

So I did the measurements from the station drawings, in 72nd the measurements in MM should be

-NEW radome profile with EVS 22.40114mm

-OLD radome profile without EVS 17.9917mm

This is measured from the very front of the radome to the bulkhead below/in front of the window (Station Line 96, or 96 inches aft of datum) The datum is 32.5 inches forward of new nose, or 45 inches forward of old nose. Now I'm at work for another 17 days so can't check mine. the profiles on the other hand, I'm not sharp enough to do.

Cheers

Harald

Thanks for those measurements @Winnie

I had already calculated those out and checked the kits. See my video... the one thing we must remember here is the model has to “look” right. It’s no good making a perfectly sized part from engineering drawings if the kit you are fitting it to is off. It’s a bit like putting up a curtain rail when the ceiling is out... do you fit it plumb or level with the ceiling?? 
I am currently near complete on masters for late G and H for AMT and Modelcollect. The difference on the MC kit is astonishing. 

once I have made these parts I can make the early G and H radome with underbelly and no electronics. 

Edited by Nigelr32

My biggest problem is I like the look of the "corrected: MC nose... But I don't have one yet so have to be without for the moment. I want the menacing SIOP look with the tan radome. I'd also love 2 Hound dog on the wings but that isn't happening for sure!

7 hours ago, Winnie said:

My biggest problem is I like the look of the "corrected: MC nose... But I don't have one yet so have to be without for the moment. I want the menacing SIOP look with the tan radome. I'd also love 2 Hound dog on the wings but that isn't happening for sure!

I can assure you the corrected B-52H nose is way off. I'll have comparison pics to post very soon. The early G nose is close, but its too fat, has no chines and too symmetrical from the side. 

7 hours ago, Nigelr32 said:

I can assure you the corrected B-52H nose is way off. I'll have comparison pics to post very soon. The early G nose is close, but its too fat, has no chines and too symmetrical from the side. 

I'm not disputing that, I just don't see it, and I'm happy without, but unless MC can supply me with the corrected nose, I'll be buying your!

Cheers

Harald

Did you see my initial pics on the other Radome thread? The AMT kit is a mess. It’s way too skinny on the belly. I’ve tried to make a good job of a bad kit. The FLIR pods are terrible. 
The modelcollect kit has had its complete nose under the glazing replaced which has involved some special work to fit it in around the cockpit. 
I think we can use any kit nose with my parts to produce an early or late Buff, so, if you have the old wrong nose from the old crow kit you can make it into a piece of nose art, stick a magnet in it and shove it on your fridge!! 

All will become clear soon. 

Edited by Nigelr32