I want 1/48 B-17 and B-29 recessed panels, conversion kit? resin?

No it doesn't. The shape issues are over blown by the red pen brigade...as it typical fashion here, but believe what you want.

The nose forward of the cockpit is terribly misshapen. It's much too round and should be flatter on top. This makes the entire nose fat cockpit forward. It still looks like a B-17 sure but for a more accurate B-17 there's nothing better than the 1/48 G.

I'm not a "red pen brigade" I'm a family member of a B-17 crewmember who flew his 50 missions and got out. It will always be my favorite plane and I'll always be extra scrutinous of the kits that come out.

Interested to see how the new Airfix will look.

However, basically you're just asking for a resin kit of these subjects. Which is silly and cost prohibitive. Eventually I'm sure SOMEONE will give up a new tool 1/48 B-17. For now I'd recommend just going 1/32 for the B-17 with HKs kit and have at it. It is in fact the best B-17 in any scale.

The HK kit is the best 1/32 kit of the B-17. It's comparable to the current lot of 1/72 kits for accuracy (quite decent, but with errors readily visible to serious B-17 fans). It might be a nicer build than the Monogram or Revell 1/48 B-17's, but it's not nearly as good a representation of a B-17 as they are, and it's not like they're poor builds.

No matter what their apologist say they don't represent overlapped panels any more than recessed ones. Fact is recessed lines are easier to work with and they allow you to add more character to finished builds.

So if they don't represent overlapped panels any more than recessed ones, then what's the difference? Leave 'em. When you're done with the kit and it's sitting on the shelf, there ain't no way anyone is going to be able to tell if the plane has raised or recessed lines (that is, of course, unless you follow the trend of filling the recessed lines with so much wash that it ends up looking like a jigsaw puzzle).

As for the "fact" that recessed lines are easier to work with, that's highly subjective. Working with raised or recessed lines requires different methods. Regardless if a kit has raised or recessed lines, I highlight the panels, not the lines. This, by far, is so much easier for me to do than flooding the channels with washes.

The way I see it, anyone who has the skills and finesse to work with resins and aftermarket photoetch surely must have the same skills and finesse to not let raised panel lines be a detriment to them.

Edited by echolmberg

I can't even begin to imagine what a current technology 1/48 B-17 or B-29 would cost with engraved detailing like you're wanting. I'm betting somewhere north of $150.00.

Sounds reasonable. I'd buy it.

I'm not that hard over for either one, so I think I'll stick with the venerable Monogram kits. There are very few aircraft that I'd be willing to shell out over $100 for. About the only one that comes to mind is the Tamiya 1/32 F4U.

I'm not that hard over for either one, so I think I'll stick with the venerable Monogram kits. There are very few aircraft that I'd be willing to shell out over $100 for. About the only one that comes to mind is the Tamiya 1/32 F4U.

I really like the 1/48 scale Revell B17. I don't mind the raised panel lines at all. The model was painted with rattle cans. Dove grey on the bottom, Olive drab above that and Tan above that. Weathered with artist paints.

DSCN4657%20Small_zpsul4guyq9.jpg

DSCN4501_zpsumea4wvd.jpg

DSCN4491_zpsk2qj7sfp.jpg

DSCN4472_zpsth6mc2hb.jpg

Johnny_K

Edited by Johnny_K

From a foot away from the model you don't notice the raised panel lines. I have both the B-17 and the B-29 and they are great kits and a great value for the price. For example with the 1/48 C-47, Revells C-47 is $25.00 to $40.00 and the Trumpeter C-47 is $90.00 to $140.00. I don't know about other modelers I would rather buy the Revell kit and have money left to buy other models instead of spending that much money on one model. To me Trumpeter charges way to much for their big 1/48 scale kits.

Johnny_K nice Flying Fortress build :thumbsup:/> !

:cheers:/>

Thanks for the kind words. The B-17 is the first model plane I have built in 50 years. I used to build model planes and cars when I was a kid, then I discovered girls :wub:

Thanks for the kind words. The B-17 is the first model plane I have built in 50 years. I used to build model planes and cars when I was a kid, then I discovered girls :wub:/>

It's funny that. Once you discover "wife" then you get a lot more time to start building again.

Third option:

1. Buy kit.

2. If you're willing to pay for resin, it's probably cheaper to pay someone else to just rescribe your kit. Do so.

3. Build with your new recessed lines.

... no, I'm not volunteering. I only worry about raised lines if it's a really vintage kit with raised decal locations. And I haven't built one of *those* in... uh...

This my opinion. Just buy the 1/48 scale B-17, don't stress about the panel lines and enjoy yourself. It is a really easy and fun build.

There ^^^ it is :thumbsup: !

Funny how anything B 17 gets soooooo much attention.

I really don't think the B-17 has the market cornered on that. The spitfire, mustang, Bf-109, Fw-190, Corsair, all immediately come mind (I am sure there are other prop aircraft that could be added).

Ummmmm.... F-14 gets more attention than aforementioned combined.

But back to topic, if you're concerned about the time it takes to assemble and scribe recessed panel lines into a 1:48 B-17, keep in mind that working with resin parts to "repanel" a kit that big would take almost as much time, if not more than scribing recessed lines. But, if that's what you wish for and would rather spend time doing, it sounds as if it may be cost prohibitive.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building the B-29 now. My first serious attempt at rescribing. Once I learned to scribe, things got better. I wasted a lot of time making and fixing mistakes. Finally I learned the right way to use CA to fill small errors.

But there is more than scribing required. All of the engine cowlings are stepped, slightly remniscent of an Incan Pyramid. All of the turret barbettes are the wrong shape. The Hamilton standard spinners are too long and too wide and requiring reshaping. All fun, frustrating stuff.

I've learned a lot about the big bird. Saddest thing I've learned is that It's hard to find decent close up pictures despite the number of 'walkarounds' out there. Seems nobody walked under it, pointed the camera up and took snaps. Likewise useful dorsal shots are pretty scarce. The kits raised lines are too few.

Finally, I'm about halfway through covering it with aluminum foil.

I'm not an experienced model builder. I've only returned to the hobby after a 35 year gap. If you want to see what's happening with it:

Jumbo King of the Show

Best wishes,

Gaz

Edited by GazzaS

I'm building the B-29 now. My first serious attempt at rescribing. Once I learned to scribe, things got better. I wasted a lot of time making and fixing mistakes. Finally I learned the right way to use CA to fill small errors.

But there is more than scribing required. All of the engine cowlings are stepped, slightly remniscent of an Incan Pyramid. All of the turret barbettes are the wrong shape. The Hamilton standard spinners are too long and too wide and requiring reshaping. All fun, frustrating stuff.

I've learned a lot about the big bird. Saddest thing I've learned is that It's hard to find decent close up pictures despite the number of 'walkarounds' out there. Seems nobody walked under it, pointed the camera up and took snaps. Likewise useful dorsal shots are pretty scarce. The kits raised lines are too few.

Finally, I'm about halfway through covering it with aluminum foil.

I'm not an experienced model builder. I've only returned to the hobby after a 35 year gap. If you want to see what's happening with it:

Jumbo King of the Show

Best wishes,

Gaz

Gaz, I am currently working on one of my favorite planes: Monorgram's 1/48 scale F-89C. This is my fifth Scorpion and I've been putzing around with the idea of foiling it. A couple of nights ago while mulling it over and turning all the parts over in my hand, I decided I was just going to use some sort of metalizer paints on it. But after seeing you tackle the mighty B-29, you've inspired me to foil my F-89!

I've had good luck with metalic paints on my previous F-89s. I used Testors MM metalics, Floquil Old Silver & Platinum Mist. They all turned out fine but I was never overly convinced that they captured the look of an honest to goodness natural metal finish. Your B-29 not only looks phenomenal, but it also shows how mistakes can and will happen. I liked how you stated that sometiems you've have to re-foil something two or three or even four times. Here I was thinking I was the only one who did that and so I pretty much gave up on it on past attempts. Your tutorial shows that perseverance will win in the end. Your descriptions of how you handled things like fillets and other complex curves have also been the most helpful things I've seen. Thank you!

Eric

Edited by echolmberg