Academy 1/48 F-4J decal problems

So I was decaling my Academy F-4J today and I noticed something. While I am using a old Areomaster sheet for the VF-92 markings I had plans to use the kit decals for the data markings. All was going well till I started on the wing and I notices the NO STEP/No PUSH markings where off. the text for the decals worked out to be 2.5 inches tall in 48th scale. decals 33 and 34 where suppose to fit each leading edge flap segment. but they are just too big.

Anyone know of a good source of data markings for the F-4J, Maybe even a unused kit decal sheet for the F-4B? Or should I just skip the 100 or so date markings all together?

I didn't realize the stenciling was different between the two kits. I'll have to check mine. In regards to your question, of course you want to spend hours putting on all those stencils. That's so much fun! Sarcasm aside, it does make a difference in the finished model and I think it's worth the time and effort.

2005281_orig.jpg?211

In Navy Phantoms these markings often wore off or were over-painted by the corrosion control shop during cruises. All that stenciling was usually only seen after a depot period. When I built my Academy F-4B (and indeed when I build any Navy Phantoms) I tend to try to conserve what little is left of my sanity and only apply the stenciling that was frequently refreshed/reapplied or didn't wear away or get spot-painted over. But Darren is totally right about putting the time to add them. They can really make a model pop.

The Furball data sheet would be an exceptional replacement for kit stenciling even if the kit decals are correct. In Academy's B-model, a lot of the stencils are specific (stylistically) to the VF-111 jet featured. I don't know about the J kit as I haven't seen it yet. Regardless, Furball products are definitely worth your money!

Keep in mind that a lot of the "special schemes" that are so dear to us Phantom Fans were done on aircraft that had just come out of a depot.

Schemes like Darren's build up above. That scheme was applied just after she had been converted from F-4B to F-4N, so a "full suite" of stencils would be applied on aircraft such as that. ("weathering" would come sometime after the roll out from the paint shop, not right away)

CAM/Milspec has a sheet of Navy Phantom data.

Rick L.

I went ahead and ordered a sheet and some Furball walkways. I know its a pain to put them all applied but I think it adds a lot of visual interest to the model.

I went ahead and ordered a sheet and some Furball walkways. I know its a pain to put them all applied but I think it adds a lot of visual interest to the model.

I think I spent as much time applying stencils to my F-4B as I did building it! :wacko:

Ben

The Furball USN/USMC PHantom Stencils are the best on the market & the most complete you're going to find in 48th. I would not/have not spent the money on non-Furball stencils. FFR.

Masterguns

I think I spent as much time applying stencils to my F-4B as I did building it! :wacko:/>

I did the same with my F-4E with the Afterburner stencils and it was well worth the time spent to apply them all.

Dean