Can I turn a F-4N into a F-4C?

Probably more easily done than some other Phantom conversions.

-Reshape the inboard weapons pylons (curved on the C/D, triangular front on the B/N)

-No antennae on the intake shoulders, nor on the undersides

-Catapault attachment points under the intakes should be filled and smoothed over (think the Fujimi offers the proper part option for this)

-Rear cockpit is different (C has control stick and left side console)

There's your basics. The nitpickers can tell you more, minor details.

A B/N really is only a B or an N. The wing is different from later F-4's and quite visibly so, due to the thicker wing section introduced with the C & J to accommodate the USAF's wider mainwheels.

You can do it as a F-110A however (the USAF received a small number of B's starting just prior to the redesignation to F-4)

A J is readily convertible to a C or D (in fact this is quite common in plastic, Monogram's short-nose F-4 is boxed as a J or a C/D depending on the weapons pylon sprues.

Edited by mawz

Sure you can.

As long as you do one of the two that were initially called F-110A,,,,,,or one of the 27 later ones that were called F-4C.

Keep the thin wings, keep the Naval innerwing pylons, and paint them Light Gull Gray over White, with White upper control surfaces and rudders. (they were delivered after the Gray rudders were painted White) You also need the scribing for the Refuelling Probe door, instead of the USAF Receptacle.

I believe they were returned to the USN before Vietnam, though,,,,,,,so SEA cammo wouldn't enter the picture.

It would be easier to convert a J model into a C than starting with an N model given the thin wings (since Ns were an updated B model). One thing you could also try is if you can get your hands on a Fujimi RF-4C/E kit, swap the wings and gears to do an F-4C and use the leftovers to make a thin wing RF-4B.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for some low-intensity fun in the build, I can say the thin wing isn't something quite everyone would notice without a major inspection. Don't forget this is supposed to be FUN, folks ;)/>

Thanks Andrew. THAT was the answer I was looking for!! I have 1 kit and 1 set of decals. Just wanted to see if it could be done:-)

I don't know of any "complete" list of the nuances online.

I use 30+ books and 2 websites to look up the stuff I need or want to know about.

Thanks Andrew. THAT was the answer I was looking for!! I have 1 kit and 1 set of decals. Just wanted to see if it could be done:-)

Since accuracy is not what you're after, you might as well enjoy yourself even more and ignore all the other items folks have pointed out - they are as much fun-insignificant as the thin wings.

Duck,

Here's a good starter site to read about Phantom "nuances". You can also check out this page ... and be sure to spend a few days clicking on the multiple links!!

If you want to start a Phantom library, you could start with this excellent book - good technical info as well as historical background. Very good illustrations and photos.

Gene K

Is there a good visual reference guide out there for all the nuances of the Phantom? Some of us do better with pictures.

Well it isn't picture based, but there is this archived topic I started several years ago and which periodically gets updated. It does a pretty good enough job of braking down what the main similarities and differences are in a way that most modelers can understand and honestly the Phantom variants aren't that tough to understand once you figure out the main points.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=148643