1961 airshow, Thunderbirds C-123 crash

Great video Scott, thanks for the link. Reading through the comments, sounds like the C-123 was doing a max performance take-off and when the pilot called for gear up, the co-pilot's shirt sleeve got tangled up with the flap lever. Instead of gear up, flaps were retracted at a critical point in the take-off and the aircraft stalled.

Amazing to see these old films. Even though I knew it was silent I still kept expecting to hear the roar of those F-100's as the Thunderbirds were doing their routine. I also couldn't help but notice that there was no shortage of helicopters around after the accident occurred.

Thanks for posting!

Obviously I need to check for typos in the title before posting. Can it be changed?

Yep. When you first hit "edit" it only gives you the option for the post text as I'm sure you know now. But once you do hit "edit," under the text box you will see three options, saying "Save Changes," "Use Full Editor" and "Cancel." Hit "Use Full Editor" and you'll have the option to edit the title as well.

:cheers:

Yep. When you first hit "edit" it only gives you the option for the post text as I'm sure you know now. But once you do hit "edit," under the text box you will see three options, saying "Save Changes," "Use Full Editor" and "Cancel." Hit "Use Full Editor" and you'll have the option to edit the title as well.

:cheers:/>

Very good to know, thanks!

Great film footage from a great bygone era in aviation. I wonder why there were so many helicopters flying in and around the scene of the crash?... Bueller... Bueller... anyone... :thumbsup:/> :lol:/>

As the description in the video says, the Hiller was hovering over the crash to use its rotors to keep the flames from spreading further into the cabin. It is credited with helping to save a few occupants from getting burned to death.

As the description in the video says, the Hiller was hovering over the crash to use its rotors to keep the flames from spreading further into the cabin. It is credited with helping to save a few occupants from getting burned to death.

Thanks, interesting and makes sense.