Attack Squadron 1/48 MQ-8B

I'm building Attack Squadron's 1/48 MA-8B. Attack Squadron produces some fine resin and injected kits. I've already built their diminutive 1/48 RQ-7B. This will be my 5th UAV and my first helicopter.

The kit comes in their usual compact and stout cardboard box

mq-8b-start0.jpg

The major parts include the fuselage in three pieces, rotor blades, and the smaller bits

mq-8b-start2.jpg

Other parts include include photo etch, clear resin, and one 3D printed part:

mq-8b-start1.jpg

Instructions and decals finish off the box contents:

mq-8b-start3.jpg

Here's a close-up of the printed rotor:

mq-8b-3dprint.jpg

And finally, here's the subject I'll build, in Afghanistan

mq-8b-7788.jpg

Edited by dnl42

Thanks! I've been enjoying both UAVs and Attack Squadron kits.

I actually started building on Friday, July 1. The first item of business was to remove the fuselage parts from the pour stubs. I clamped them in my Panavise and, armed with a larger Zona saw and my usual JLC razor saw, quickly got the parts ready to join

mq-8b-build0.jpg

With some filing work, they joined up pretty nicely,

mq-8b-build1.jpg

But there was this size difference, which I positioned at the bottom, so it was easy to fix with some quick file work.

mq-8b-build2.jpg

There are quite a few vents to install. I cut the 1st vent off right at the pour stub, then struggled to file off the excess "flow channel" on the underside of the vent.

Fortunately, I realized the More Better approach was to simply saw the flow channel off the bottom <_<

mq-8b-build3.jpg

The fuselage was completed yesterday, mid afternoon

mq-8b-build5.jpg

I debated whether I should add the skids before or after painting, and I finally decided to do it before. I mixed up some J-B Weld and set up a jig to ensure the fuselage was properly aligned, and let it dry overnight.

mq-8b-build6.jpg

And here she is, standing on her own. I was a little concerned about the weight of the model on the resin skids, but it's actually quite sturdy with the shock absorbers.

mq-8b-build7.jpg

A little more filling, filing, and polishing, and she'll be ready for primer.

Edited by dnl42

Great progress. I am looking forward to the painting photos.

Darwin

Yeah, this is a record for me!

Nice. Kinda looks like a mini submarine at this point!!

Dang, I just noticed that!

She's about as colorful as she'll get. Next are the rotors and a few other bits.

That is my biggest objection to modern warbirds. I hate the gray over gray over gray with gray trim most countries insist on using these days.

Darwin

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a problem with the paint and decals. The paint is supposed to be FS36375; I used Model Master. The decals look fine on the paper, but they disappear on FS36375.

mq_8b_paint_decal.jpg

I'm going to try Mr. Color.

Edited by dnl42

You've got a great little build but I have to say those decals are a real let-down for me - they look lighter than in your reference pic. I see what you mean about them vanishing. I'm guessing there's not much in the way of aftermarket just yet?

Please don't misunderstand me - I've admired this build silently and greatly appreciate your work!

Edited by K5054NZ

Yeah, the MM FS36375 and the decals are just too close. I'm going to try to get another set of decals so I can strip these off, repaint a lightened shade, and re-apply the decals.

Hm, I just noticed that the "NAVY" decal is mis-positioned according to the photo above...

Edited by dnl42

Neat little machine. I like the previous description of it looking like a small submarine. I am not too crazy about all of these drones, UAVs or whatever they call them now. I still like the SR-71, B-52 and Phantom. No more SR-71s and only a handful of Phantoms, so I have to be content with the BUFFs, even if I rarely see one anymore. On our second date, my hubby took me to Sheppard AFB for their Open House and Air Show. I got to see their BUFF up close and fell in love. I am not sure if I was more in love with him or the airplane.

Grandma L

Was it love at first flyby?

Yes, it was. The all women's college I was attending invited the guys from Sheppard to a Valentine's Day dance and we met there. I would have married him that night if he had asked. It took him about 2 months to realize that he was hooked and to propose to me and we were married 6 weeks later. :beer4: He has thoroughly indoctrinated me in the world of airplanes and modeling in the 52 years since then. :yahoo:

Grandma L

• 2 months later...

OK. Stripped all the old paint off with minimal collateral damage. Since the kit is resin, I was able to use straight lacquer thinner. Need to replace the filler, which got stripped with the paint.

mq_8b_restart.jpg

• 3 months later...

My end-of-year at work was a bear. I'm finally getting back to building :yahoo:

I used a 50-50 mix of Mr Color #338 (36495) and #73 to get reasonably contrasting shades for the airframe and decals:

mq_8b_repaint.jpg

I also got the FLIR sensor done. I primed it gloss black, masked some of the sensor lenses, and then gave it a coat of Alclad Chrome. I painted one lens Tamiya clear blue and the other clear orange. I then masked those and shot the gray airframe color.

mq_8b_flir0.jpg

And here's the finished FLIR sensor with Future on the lenses.

mq_8b_flir1.jpg