This starts out with a Testors 1/48th SR-71A and will be modified to an A-12 using the Kiwi Resins conversion set and Cutting Edge exhaust mod set.

The tail cones. Black is the stock plastic and white is the Kiwi parts.

004%20kit%20vs%20AM%2003_zpsulkizymz.jpg

The forward fuselage parts.

010%20kit%20vs%20AM%2008_zpslwxiweup.jpg

The Cutting Edge exhaust parts.

001%20Cutting%20Edge%20AB%20amp%20exhaust_zpsima22s9t.jpg

Darwin

I'd never lined up my resin next to the kit parts before. The SR is 6' longer than the A-12...is it me or does the conversion piece make it too short?

The boat tail on the A-12 is about 3-4 feet shorter than the SR-71. It is only a few inches past the trailing edge of the elevons. The nose is also about 2 feet shorter. The resin conversion parts measure out to be really close to the real thing.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

The top SR-71 tail piece in place, just setting there.

005%20kit%20vs%20AM%2004_zps3br47tl6.jpg

The top A-12 piece in place.

006%20kit%20vs%20AM%2005_zps5yzkvc6b.jpg

The SR-71 bottom piece in place temporarily.

007%20kit%20vs%20AM%2006_zpsl3nrmxbg.jpg

The A-12 bottom piece in place. The fit is terrible along the sides and the center has WAY too much arch to it.

008%20kit%20vs%20AM%2007_zpsxmyyifxp.jpg

009%20poor%20fit%2001_zpsgwjuddp8.jpg

The boat tail on the A-12 is about 3-4 feet shorter than the SR-71. It is only a few inches past the trailing edge of the elevens. The nose is also about 2 feet shorter. The resin conversion parts measure out to be really close to the real thing.

Darwin

I knew the boat tail was significantly shorter. Cleaner look to the backside IMO. I guess your photo looks deceptively short to me; that sure looks like more than half an inch for scale 2'!

I'm hoping I can get mine out of storage at my parents to give it a go. My modelling has been on the back burner the last 5 years since adulting got in the way. Plus I've never done a conversion before, so felt a bit daunted by the task.

The resin nose cone and upper forward fuselage with the pilot & RSO canopies and spacer. Test fit of the parts and it is NOT good.

011%20Q-Bay%20hatch%20mod_zpslm0irzhi.jpg

RSO canopy and spacer turned into the upper Q-bay hatch.

020%20Q-Bay%20hatch%20done_zpso0w0lz9f.jpg

The in-Flight-Refueling receptacle in the resin part (immediately behind the aft cockpit opening), is too small and mis-shaped. The IFR for the plastic is shaped right, but too far aft.

012%20top%20fuse%20front-center_zpslpjc4o6x.jpg

I removed both IFR's from their respective parts and grafted the plastic one into the resin part, then joined the back part of it to the plastic fuselage top.

014%20IFR%20swap_zpsadcjr2hf.jpg

015%20IFR%20swap_zpsopptfzjt.jpg

016%20IFR%20swap_zpsxibym2uk.jpg

017%20IFR%20swap_zpsg6y93jhc.jpg

021%20top%20fuse%20joint_zpsesgpabwv.jpg

You know Darwin. You've got me thinking that maybe I can take my LS SR-71 and convert it into an A-12. Heck, it looks more like an A-12 than it does an SR anyway and the work should be minimal given the scale.

You're doing great so far. I've built the 1/48 Testors SR-71 and it was a ton of work filling in all the joints and then rescribing what was lost in the sanding process. If it's permissible can we post some of our previous recce builds somewhere?

Don

Edited by Drifterdon

You're doing great so far. I've built the 1/48 Testors SR-71 and it was a ton of work filling in all the joints and then rescribing what was lost in the sanding process. If it's permissible can we post some of our previous recce builds somewhere? Don

Great idea. I just set up a thread for "Inspiration" builds from the past.

Darwin

The lower forward fuselage and the resin replacement for the lower Q Bay hatch. The small squares are the outlines of the camera windows for the Perkin-Elmer Type I camera system. They were not on the part in the beginning.

019%20Camera%20Windows_zpskwm5u2sj.jpg

The SR chine bay camera windows filled in and the A-12 lower hatch dry fit in place.

022%20Camera%20Windows_zpsgnuztc1y.jpg

Top and bottom forward fuselage.

023%20Fwd%20Fuselage_zpsmmmut3jz.jpg

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78
  • 3 weeks later...

This is awesome!! I have a Kiwi conversionot as well, and am watching this thread with great interest...

I was planning to use a YF-12 kit as the basecond model. Given the issues with the resin tail piece, the YF-12's stock tail should suffice, right? The tails were the same as the A-12, were they not?

Keep up the awesome work!

...I was planning to use a YF-12 kit as the basecond model. Given the issues with the resin tail piece, the YF-12's stock tail should suffice, right? The tails were the same as the A-12, were they not?

The A-12, YF-12 and M-21 all used the same basic airframe with the short boattail. The Testor's/Italeri 1/72 version of the YF-12 has a VERY pronounced bulge under the aft fuselage between the landing gear and tail feathers. The SR-71 has a slight bulge in that area, but not nearly as much. I don't know if the Italeri 1/48 YF-12 has that bulge or not. Another problem with using the YF-12 as a start is the bottom of the forward fuselage, (ahead of the wing), is a much different shape than the A-12 or SR-71 in order to accommodate the missile wells and their doors.

Darwin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...