1/48 Revell A-7 Bicentennial

At the 2014 NATS in Va, I was digging through a huge box of superscale/microscale decals and I found this gem

IMGP8179-vi.jpg

I was not sure what I was going to do with it, but I had to have it

I figured this GB would be a great chance to use it, so I acquired a revell A-7a reissue

IMGP8180-vi.jpg

My goal for this build is not absolute accuracy, but to have a cool, gaudy bicentennial model on my shelf., hopefully it will look something like this

43349081_6585521622597399653_n-vi.jpg (picture from Facebook, credit to original photographer)

As near as I can figure the main visual difference between the navy and airforce A-7 is the refueling probe. To fix this I need to fill the hole where the probe mounts, that i am pointing to with the tweezers

IMGP8182-vi.jpg

My favorite way to plug a hole like this is to use a stretched sprue nub

IMGP8183-vi.jpg

I used plastic cement to secure it and trimmed it later

IMGP8184-vi.jpg

in our next installment, wing & fuel tank assembly

Edited by Kurt H.

And moving right along to the cockpit

not many pieces ... 3 all together, the tub with integrated seat, the IP and the stick, but it looks just fine once painted

IMGP8198-vi.jpg

and mounted in the fuselage with the not so seamless intake

IMGP8200-vi.jpg

And the wings are ready whenever the fuselage comes together.

IMGP8192-vi.jpg

I did not take a picture but the fit of the tailpipe in the fuselage half is tricky and is holding me up. I had also forgotten to paint the tailpipe area inside the fuselage so while that dries the fuselage joining will wait.

I have the fuselage together .. It was really a bear getting the tailpipe to fit properly, and to not interfere with the fit of the fuselage. I really thing the pin, and the slot in the part are not in the right places.

IMGP8208-vi.jpg

IMGP8207-vi.jpg

As you can see, that seam is un acceptable to even the newest modeler!

ok, time to go nuclear with the 220 grit, and cut off those antennas

IMGP8210-vi.jpg

better, but now we need a healthy dose of putty

IMGP8209-vi.jpg

until next time...

Looking good! It appears that kit still has the same fit issues from when I first built it in the early 1980s as a Monogram release... As I understand, it has its origins with a set of molds made by Aurora in the early 1970s.

Looking good! It appears that kit still has the same fit issues from when I first built it in the early 1980s as a Monogram release... As I understand, it has its origins with a set of molds made by Aurora in the early 1970s.

Yes, according to legend, and two books I have about monogram, this was one of a few kits Monogram found suitable to release after the acquisition of Aurora. It is about what I expect from a 1970s kit. Gaps can not stand up to 3M acryl blue and 220 grit sand paper.

I have beaten down the seams wince the last post, stay tuned for an update tomorrow.

Quick update ... I have attached the wings

IMGP8218-vi.jpg

The fit of the wings to the fuselage was pretty vague, lots of play so it was a bit of a challenge to get the anhedral just right. I found the little Testors bottle were just right to hold the wings in the right place while the cement sets.

The wings are set, and I filled and sanded the gaps on the top, but I just realized I forgot to photograph the process.

ooops

any way, the bottom was even worse

IMGP8228-vi.jpg

I was kinda tempted to leave it, since this is kind of a fun build, but I just could not do it. This is a tight spot, so to avoid a putty mess, I masked off the areas I did not want putty on, and applied putty

IMGP8230-vi.jpg

removing the tape shows a manageable amount of putty to sand

IMGP8231-vi.jpg

After our last episode, I found the seam along the top of the fuselage popped, so I used thin CA to both re-bond the seam, and fill in the seam

IMGP8235-vi.jpg

and after sanding, and subsequent finish sanding, it looks perfect

IMGP8237-vi.jpg

the bottom is done as well.

IMGP8238-vi.jpg

The model has been washed, and is drying now. next up, installation of the elevons

As with my F-4 build, this model has been primered.

an examination of the model reveals all my putty and sanding was successful, bit one issue has popped up, the canopy is misaligned.

IMGP8256-vi.jpg

I am unsure whether to mess with it or just pose the canopy open.

that is all for now, see ya next time

• 3 weeks later...

and we have paint

IMGP8283-vi.jpg

The entire airframe has been painted testors classic white. As I am prone to do, I probably went a bit heavy on the paint and it is still drying after over a week, I can touch it and hold the model but after many years of experience with MM gloss enamels I sure would not want to mask or sand it yet.

so if this paint ever dries, it will be on to the blue and red.

• 1 month later...

I was scratching my head on how to mask the wings. This is a 70s or 80s decal sheet, not a modern Caracal or Furball sheet, so the wing stripes are not included. There is a tiny pic on the decal instructions, so I figured I could scan the image and increase the size

IMGP8313-vi.jpg

The top paper is the enlarged version, the bottom sheet is a scan and print of the decal instruction sheet, and to the right, the enlarged version laid over the wing. 

If there is interest I can explain how I did it. 

next task .... MASKING!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Masking contines

I have all the lines masked with fine lining tape. For the blue on the wings, i finished the "coarse" masking with this orange masking tape, which is very similar to 3m Green masking tape. To avoid lifting the other fine masking tape for the red, i put glossy catalog pages under the orange tape so the orange tape does not stick to the fine line tape

UTC_Data1480931319515SEFHeSEFT-vi.jpg

That is as far as I got because my cat was pestering me, he sits and meows, then swats my elbows until I play with him

• 2 weeks later...