1/144 RC-135W Rivet Joint Conversion

I've been holding off the start of this particular RC-135 conversion pending the start of this Group Build. This will be the RC-135W Rivet Joint in it's latest guise with all the warts and bumps and antennas. Like the rest of my RC conversions, I'm starting with the Minicraft KC-135R kit with the CFM-56 engines. I'll be using parts and decals from the Welsh Models RC-135 Rivet Joint conversion set and pieces parts that I've updated. Namely a new hog nose, E-Systems cheeks and a new ventral equipment housing in place of the boomers pod.

IMG_0785_zpsyisn3e24.jpg

IMG_0789_zpsan52u2hy.jpg

IMG_0786_zpsjbytvesc.jpg

IMG_0791_zpsqxbqhyag.jpg

Don, I thought that you might like these two photos of the same plane 45 years apart.

RC-135M Combat Apple, approximately 1970 tail # 62-4139

RC-135M%2001%20Combat%20Apple%2062-4139%20in%201970_zps51pra13d.jpg

RC-135W Rivet Joint 2015 tail # 62-4139

RC-135W%2001%20Rivet%20Joint%2062-4139%20in%202015_zpsxtlbjt2y.jpg

Don, I thought that you might like these two photos of the same plane 45 years apart.

RC-135M Combat Apple, approximately 1970 tail # 62-4139

RC-135W Rivet Joint 2015 tail # 62-4139

You know I'm also in the process of converting the KC-135E into an M and haven't decided on which specific plane I'm going to do. I might just do both of these at 4139. Would be cool to have them sitting side by side and show how much different they are 45 years apart. And the M even has the SAC sash and crest that was wanting to do on mine. Done deal! 4139 it is.

Edited by Drifterdon

I also got a start on the engines. This will be 4139 in her present state so CFM-56 engines are in order.

IMG_0804_zpsixlozne2.jpg

They still need cleaning up and need to have those massive intake lips thinned down a bit but otherwise look good.

Some progress on the Rivet Joint. Cut out and added the insert for the A/C pack on the starboard side. Still need to fill and shape to blend it in with the fuselage. I also cut the KC nose off and added the resin hog nose. Did some more clean-up on the engines but no pics of that.

IMG_0844_zpsgay3fjo4.jpg

IMG_0845_zps2qpnjpvu.jpg

Looking at the pics I may have to remove the A/C plug and adjust. I think it may be too far inboard.

IMG_0847_zpspozdtmgl.jpg

IMG_0848_zpsqrdvzzsq.jpg

Prior to gluing the new nose on I added centering marks on the fuselage and resin nose to make sure I had them lined up when I super glued the nose on. Here you see bits of masking tape used to hold it in place to make sure all is lined up.

IMG_0849_zps4mpc2y9k.jpg

IMG_0850_zpsdhiosd2d.jpg

Here's the nose glued in place. A few minutes with a sanding stick and all should be done. I still need to remove the PDL's from the bottom of the fuselage then add the eSystems cheek fairings after I clean them up.

IMG_0852_zpse7k8leop.jpg

IMG_0854_zpszb09ov2p.jpg

IMG_0855_zpsttfmsu2x.jpg

I would have thought there was enough weight in that chunk f resin for the nose not to worry about adding the shot.

Just playing it safe Don?

Should I get back to my 1/72 build of this I wonder?

So with all the resin I had to remove to get the nose wheel well to fit, I felt it prudent to add a touch of bird shot just to make sure she wasn't a tail sitter. You should break out your Joint but with the E-8 and Wedgetail, not sure you'll have the time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...