Skunkmodels 1/48 Russian Missiles Set

Looks like another example of Kinetic reading the forums... didn't somebody suggest this a while ago on here?

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=SW-48029

8 x R-73 Archer

8 x R-27ER Alamo

8 x R-27ET Alamo

...and a bunch of pylons to boot. Looks like we'll be able to have a full set of pylons and missiles on our Kinetic Su-33s after all... with spare Alamos left-over to hang off our Iranian F-14s! ;)/>

Bring on a US/NATO set: I'm sick of buying aftermarket resin ASRAAMs and they being warped beyond saving!

I still would use the exceptional Eduard set for the Russian weapons. Superior quality and no problems in fitting. I bought a western weapons set from Skunk and they did not convince me.

Check this out

http://scaleindetail.com/aftermarket/aftermarket_aircraft?product_id=125

R-73 / AA-11 Archer (2 pieces per set)

R-60 / AA-8 Aphid (4 pieces per set)

R-27ER / AA-10 Alamo-C (4 pieces per set)

R-27ET / AA-10 Alamo-D (4 pieces per set)

R-77 / AA-12 Adder (4 pieces per set)

All in one box.

No if you consider for how many jets they will be used and the quality

The Skunkmodels release seems to be aimed directly at Su-27/33 builders who have more than one kit and for those might be a better option than the combo Eduard set since you can fully arm two planes and have some extra missiles. Not sure if decals will be included, though.

But, yes, a set of 24 missiles of three types only is an odd choice. I can dig going for a quantitative advantage, but a similar thing could have been achieved by packing e.g. 4xR-73, 4-6x R-27ER (with AKU-470 pylons) and 2-4 R-27ET (with APU-470 pylons) in one set which would be enough to fully arm an Su-27 (10 hardpoints?) or an Su-33/30/35 (12 hardpoints).

I can also see some errors in the instructions where they show options of using R-27ET missiles on AKU launchers and R-27ER on APU launchers which is not possible.

The instructions seem to show 2 APU pylons and 6 AKU pylons so if less APU pylons are included in total than AKU's (e.g. 4 and 12), then there's no sense in having so many ET missiles in the set. But, I hope that's just a false assumption based on the instructions.

Edited by ijozic

another good news for me... as i was of the few who'd suggest Kinetic to do a weapon set (particularly for some extra pylons and launchers that lacks the Su-33 kit...)

and as i have 10 Flankers waiting for me in my stash, i'm clearly the target customer...i'll get one set for sure...maybe two... as soon as Canada Post strikes/lock-out situation will settle...

oh, and now, if you're reading this, Raymond, it would be Awesome if Skunkwork models could also bring a small "russian carrier" set pray.gif

...BTW, Thank you guys, at Kinetic/Skunkwork models. a company that makes us feel great, is a great company70.gif

I still would use the exceptional Eduard set for the Russian weapons. Superior quality and no problems in fitting.

Really? 'Cause my Eduard Alamos all had significant shrinkage issues that required tedious trimming. The mounting slots for the front wings were too small and needed to be bored out. And the vanes up front were 1/2mm too long, which meant a tough choice between shaving down the mounting stub (hard, as they're so small), enlarging the mounting slot (tough, since the ends have a complex shape) or cutting the vanes in half to remove a .5 mm section (tough to align the bits after)

The parts look nice in the box and the resin parts are certainly finer than injected plastic, but given the choice between tediously cleaning up eight ill-fitting, fiddly parts per missile, for 8 - 10 missiles per plane, or just going with a nice-but-not-quite-as-nice, simple plastic option... I think I'd go with the plastic.

Really? 'Cause my Eduard Alamos all had significant shrinkage issues that required tedious trimming. The mounting slots for the front wings were too small and needed to be bored out. And the vanes up front were 1/2mm too long, which meant a tough choice between shaving down the mounting stub (hard, as they're so small), enlarging the mounting slot (tough, since the ends have a complex shape) or cutting the vanes in half to remove a .5 mm section (tough to align the bits after)

The parts look nice in the box and the resin parts are certainly finer than injected plastic, but given the choice between tediously cleaning up eight ill-fitting, fiddly parts per missile, for 8 - 10 missiles per plane, or just going with a nice-but-not-quite-as-nice, simple plastic option... I think I'd go with the plastic.

I agree with MoFo. I have the russian missile set from Eduard and they have shrinkage, which makes the various fins not fit into the slots in the missile bodies, People look at the nice detail in resin and put aside any consideration for fit and assembly, till they really have to assemble them. Then they find out nothing fits. I also have the R-23 Apex set and it's worse since it's a really long missile body and big front and rear fins, the slots in the body are 3-4 mm too short.

Also that Skunkmodel set is most likely the missiles and pylon sprues from their own Kinetic Su-33 kit, which means they're great for being injection molded pieces.

Edited by Inquisitor

i tough that, related to the Su-33/Kuznetsov carrier, that there was mainly two model that where used : the 10 tons model 3913, which cover a long service period in soviet/russian navy airwing support....

but, the later grey TUG tractor would suite the late scheme/updated Su-33 that the Kinetic kit depict as well...

my favor would go for the 3913 tractor, as it's the more common and more widely used...

• 2 weeks later...

By the way,

since the Cy-33 is capable of air to ground attacks...What about an russian air to ground weapons set?

i'm not seeing this happening anytime soon (nor later honestly)

the main reason that Russian missile set exist is that they already have the tooling done for the Su-33 kit.

(and that tooling was praised, and many (which i'm of) asked for Kinetic to Issue a set with missiles...and pylons apart from the kit.)

maybe, one day, Kinetic will do some other soviet/russian subjects, and then, maybe, they'll tool enough new weapons to do a Russian Air to Ground weapon set...

but for the sole Su-33 i don't think it worth it.