F-101B soon from Kitty Hawk

I really despise KH but given that the subject on the boxtop served at my local airbase (Otis AFB, now Joint Base Cape Cod), I might still take a shot a building one.  It's a clunky looking jet but it does have a certain appeal.  Here's a 60th FIS jet blasting off from Otis in 1962.  Nowadays, JB-CC is much quieter :(

See the source image

14 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

So from what I recall the first release of the Voodoo from Kitty Hawk had a crappy cockpit. Ok by crappy I mean PE in the cockpit for panels. Somehow it seemed to be old school with the detail on the PE not very good. Well this is really my opinion.

I hope of the F-101B is going to be released they do a proper cockpit with raised detail. I am sure they can do it considering their latest releases.

Crappy is a good description. That's all that can be said when a manufacturer uses PE for consoles that have raised switches and knobs, especially with today's molding technology. PE is no better than decals on a flat surface. (Can you tell I'm wrestling with their Jag T.2 with it's crappy cockpit right now? :bandhead2:)  Based on what I saw when I owned their F-101A, this will have to be an outstanding kit before I'd swap it for my Monogram kit, scribed panel lines or not.  

If they rejected the original F-101B molds, hopefully, they'll take the same care with the RF-101A/C and make sure they get the intakes right this time. 

Ben

The previous KH F-101 A/C Voodoo had its issues no doubt. I built it the summer it was released and it indeed required some work and fiddling (forget the intakes as I left them as is). But honestly if you have kits under your belt it wasn't that difficult to get together and look respectable. I think a few vocal haters really turned people off, which is too bad because it looks nice when finished and most people don't notice the intake gaff. If you like the One-O-Wonder like I do then give the KH kit a whirl. Not defending KH here folks. Just saying I personally didn't find the original Voodoo to be that bad (not great at all but not as bad as some posted back when it was released). I actually have another started...I guess I like to punish myself LOL!

I hope the B comes out. I'll grab a few for Canadian birds and a few USAF machines.

1 hour ago, Charlie D. said:

Going to wait for a few build reviews before investing in this one. The fit of the earlier kit....not the best.

I know someone who was involved with this kit, because of the earlier tooling and negative reviews of their earlier Voodoo, they were more stringent with this one. They rejected the original new tooling of the F-101B, which is the reason for the long delay. I think they even fired the mold maker and went with an entire new company for that work.

So hopefully this one is better. I will wait for reviews too.

Edited by Scooby
1 hour ago, Don said:

I hope the B comes out. I'll grab a few for Canadian birds and a few USAF machines.

The Canadian decals in this kit are designed by a web respected Canadian (I am not sure if I can say who yet) and are printed by Cartograf. 

It is beginning to sound encouraging. I was put off the original kit due to the poor reviews, but I have always loved the Voodoo since I was a kid in the 50's and saw pics in magazines. I think I even saw some fly overhead while a kid in New Jersey.

One of my favorite 101 pictures...

Related image

That should get your Voodoo mojo charged!

This one was taken over my hometown so its my favorite (biased of course :rolleyes:)...

Related image

Anyone have any idea what's slung under this 101's wing?

Related image

Practice missile seeker head? If so, why not attach it under the rotating missile bay door under the nose?

Regards.

27 minutes ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

But my Jones is for this jet in thirty-tooth scale.  Combat has it in vac.  If I buy that, and get 3/4 through it, it'll be popped in injection-mold, to be sure.

Please hurry and get cracking on that vac kit!

On 4/7/2018 at 3:52 PM, Scooby said:

I think they even fired the mold maker and went with an entire new company for that work.

Do they still machine those moulds manually?

I'd be interested to know when they fired those guys, it seems way too harsh for one screwed up bird.

If I were KH, I'd get my design team checked because most complaints come from spotty accuracy and engineering.

6 hours ago, kaz said:

Do they still machine those moulds manually?

I'd be interested to know when they fired those guys, it seems way too harsh for one screwed up bird.

If I were KH, I'd get my design team checked because most complaints come from spotty accuracy and engineering.

No, just using the terms loosely, still CAD design. Obviously I don’t know all the details. It wasn’t one trigger and they weren’t happy with more than one kit.

They simply took there business somewhere else.

KH does Ok.  This kit I am sure will be better.  Their learning curve has been  steep but their past releases have been better..Just like Kinetic.  I built the F-101A/C when I was into 1/48 and I built the Monogram B along side it for HS:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2014/features/f10148sc_1.htm

The old Monogram kit aint bad at all and the KH kit is ok for the type.  I really think it needs help with a set of exhausts from Eduard Brassin or Aires . that wold really help. Yes there are fit issue but again if you are an experienced modeler nothing you can overcome.  BTW- IF the cockpit bothers you that much pop in the Aires one they did a nice job.  I built my pit OOB

Now that I am in 1/72 I have many Voodoos to choose from and the old Revell F-101B 1/72 kit is still rather nice.

Steve

I have always enjoyed that article since you wrote it Steve! Now personally I enjoy the Monogram kit, mainly because of the fact that it is a B. I would be open to building a KH it's just that I have not really ever found a set of marking for the A/C variant that are to my liking.

The dual seat Voodoo's are my favorites too. Lots of markings options to choose from for both Canadian and USAF machines. The A/C Voodoo's aren't the greatest color wise but there are a couple that I find eye catching. I built 54-1455 from the 81st TFW, RAF Bentwaters in 1961 from the Caracal decal sheet:

carcd48052.jpg

For my second single seater that I am working on I'd like to do one like these if I can track down the markings:

McDonnell F-101C-50-MC Voodoo of the USAF 78th Tactical Fighter Squadron, RAF Woodbridge, UK.USAF McDonnell F-101C-50-MC Voodoo of the 78th FIS.

Don, Almark 4822 has those markings but it's long out of production. There's a company called 1001 Model Kits that claims to have 5 in stock. I've never heard of them before so I don't know if the listing is legit.

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Don, Almark 4822 has those markings but it's long out of production. There's a company called 1001 Model Kits that claims to have 5 in stock. I've never heard of them before so I don't know if the listing is legit.

Ben

I felt a little suspicious when I found that they had a set of AMDG P-47D decals I was looking for, but I pulled the trigger.  Decals arrived just fine, and the whole transaction was smooth.  Their site just looks so hokey that I guess it made me a little nervous.

23 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Auction has now been stopped. I am happy I didn't "buy it now."

Just says it is no longer available. Means he sold out.

16 hours ago, BN7149 said:

I felt a little suspicious when I found that they had a set of AMDG P-47D decals I was looking for, but I pulled the trigger.  Decals arrived just fine, and the whole transaction was smooth.  Their site just looks so hokey that I guess it made me a little nervous.

Hmm. I might have to dig around their site and see what else they have....

On 4/7/2018 at 12:52 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Please hurry and get cracking on that vac kit!

My thoughts exactly! I'd love to see a big scale Voodoo! Fred K.