F-101B soon from Kitty Hawk

They got the starboard side engine vents wrong again. You can see the pic below, the forward vent is rectangular. They just copied the port side ones. I think they made the same mistake with the A/C version and people pointed it out to them more than enough for them to get the message. Jeeesss :doh:

Mcdonnell_CF-101_Voodoo_495.jpg.193bd94e9f759e538487172920265adb.jpg

Edited by Mstor
1 hour ago, Mstor said:

They got the starboard side engine vents wrong again. You can see the pic below, the forward vent is rectangular. They just copied the port side ones. I think they made the same mistake with the A/C version and people pointed it out to them more than enough for them to get the message. Jeeesss :doh:

You beat me to it Mstor. I was going to say the same thing. I know the Monogram ones are incorrect as I was trying to correct them when I started my Voodoo so many years ago. Now I have big holes in my kit and trying to figure out how to do it. Something for Eduard to do?

Edited by skyhawk174
1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

You beat me to it Mstor. I was going to say the same thing. I know the Monogram ones are incorrect as I was trying to correct them when I started my Voodoo so many years ago. Now I have big holes in my kit and trying to figure out how to do it. Something for Eduard to do?

Yea, I think some sort of photoetch part would be the logical answer. Eduard or Metallic Details. Then, a little scraping and set it in place flush with the surface. You listening Eduard? Metallic Details? Or even Cold War Studios?

In all it looks decent. I imagine the main fuselage parts break down will be the same as their A/C kit and the cockpit will probably also be similar detail wise to their A/C. 

I hope the fit of that open nose avionics door is good in the closed position for those of us with no desire to display it open. I built their single seat Voodoo and there was some questionable fit areas on the optional open/closed panel features. I also hope they've tackled the sink hole issue with the air breaks that made many of them unusable and necessitated aftermarket replacements. Formation lights were easy to remove on the A/C with only a small (VERY small) bit of rescribing on the tail. So, nothing to stop me building my Canadian 101's. I anticipate a challenging build...fun...but no Tamiya.

Edited by Don

The build in the link looks great. I'm not by any means, someone who knows the F-101 very well, but it does look like one and does so without raised panel lines. I look forward to one of you guys to work some "Voodoo Magic" on that kit.

Cybermodeler has pics of the B and the RF-101A/C. The RF looks pretty good but they didn't bother to give it correct intakes for a single seater. I guess they didn't bother to read any of the reviews of their F-101A/C. :bandhead2:

Ben

5 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Cybermodeler has pics of the B and the RF-101A/C. The RF looks pretty good but they didn't bother to give it correct intakes for a single seater. I guess they didn't bother to read any of the reviews of their F-101A/C. :bandhead2:

Ben

Ben, I don't know too much about the A version of the Voodoo and I am assuming the F-101A has a smaller intake profile?

Also I hope they changed the way they handled the cockpit. No PE please.

6 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

...I don't know too much about the A version of the Voodoo and I am assuming the F-101A has a smaller intake profile?

The F-101A/C intake openings were not raked back/slanted down and back like on the twin seat F-101B but perpendicular to the ground...

F-101A/C style on an RF Voodoo...

Related image

F-101B...notice the outside intake lip slanting down and back...

Related image

Sadly KH supplied B intakes in their A/C kit. I just lived with the wrong intakes as the majority of people wouldn't notice the difference anyways but you'd think they'd do something to correct it with later releases of the A/C or single seat RF kits. There were some other issues with the KH A/C Voodoo too accuracy wise but again...I just shrugged and went with it.

Regards

Edited by Don
56 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Skyhawk, I agree. No PE, please. If they did it in the B, you can at least steal a nice cockpit from the Monogram kit.

Yeah I guess I can do that. I actually have one started so many years ago and have scribed about 50% of it. I also have a couple of sets of Black Box cockpits (I am pretty sure they did one). That PE to me was a bit of a let down. Nothing beats cockpit console switches and dials like injected or resin, to my mind anyway. We'll see what we get.

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Skyhawk, I agree. No PE, please. If they did it in the B, you can at least steal a nice cockpit from the Monogram kit.

I'd really like to see someone try that once the kit is released. It is not a bad idea 😁

Aires released a cockpit set for the A/C, perhaps they will do the same for the B. Of course it always seems to be a crap shoot as to whether an Aires cockpit will actually fit the kit it is designed for.

Edited by Mstor
21 hours ago, Scooby said:

I believe on Canadian Voodoo may have got slime lights as a mod/test. Yes it was a time thing on USAF Voodoos.

Only early Canadian Voodoos from the first batch had the saw tooth hinge.

The  Canadian Black "electronic"  Voodoo (067) had slime lights because it came from later US modified stock but none of the other Cdn birds had the slime lights.......

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

Did any early USAF B models serve in NMF or overall silver?  I'd love to see some aftermarket decals of early Air Defense Command Voodoos.  

I have some photos my dad took at Hamilton AFB of NMF Bs. At the time, they had a mix so they must have been in transition to ADC Gray. This was 1963.

USAF early F-101B not in ADC grey:

Image result for USAF F-101B Voodoo

Another...

Related image

Yet again...

Of course the initial batch of Canadian Voodoo's were unpainted...

Image result for RCAF F-101B Voodoo

Of course one could go quite odd...SEA scheme (BDR airframe)...

SEACamo.jpg

Nah...too fancy for a Voodoo...mops and water based paint is more the Voodoo's style perhaps (Canadian Maple Flag 101...one of a few different temporary camouflage schemes applied to Canadian Voodoo's)...

Related image

Another for grins...

Related image

Then again, who doesn't like a lizard scheme (BDR airframe)...

Euro1r.jpg

Lots of options for dual seat One-O-Wonder's.

22 minutes ago, Don said:

USAF early F-101B not in ADC grey:

Another...

Related image

Yet again...

Of course the initial batch of Canadian Voodoo's were unpainted...

Image result for RCAF F-101B Voodoo

Of course one could go quite odd...SEA scheme (BDR airframe)...

SEACamo.jpg

Nah...too fancy for a Voodoo...mops and water based paint is more the Voodoo's style perhaps (Canadian Maple Flag 101...one of a few different temporary camouflage schemes applied to Canadian Voodoo's)...

Related image

Another for grins...

Related image

Then again, who doesn't like a lizard scheme (BDR airframe)...

Euro1r.jpg

Lots of options for dual seat One-O-Wonder's.

I am going to be doing one for my father in-law from the 15th FIS, the second of Dons pictures, which will be my first NMF. I have come up with a few of the Eagle Strike decals that have those markings. I dont know why, but that is the only picture of one of their Voodoos that I can come up with.

3 minutes ago, 11bee said:

BDR airframe.    Cool colors.   

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a BDR airframe (I have a feeling I am going to go "duh" when I find out)?

14 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a BDR airframe (I have a feeling I am going to go "duh" when I find out)?

Battle Damage Repair. Old airframes are turned over for training ground crew on proper techniques for repairing damage.  You can spot survivors by having all sorts of odd patches all over the airframe.

36483459715_a3b81c81cb_z.jpg

Edited by Crash Test Dummy
40 minutes ago, Jabba29 said:

Battle Damage Repair. Used as old disused aircraft for training in this art rather than an in use aircraft.

39 minutes ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

Battle Damage Repair. Old airframes are turned over for training ground crew on proper techniques for repairing damage.  You can spot survivors by having all sorts of odd patches all over the airframe.

Thanks guys!